Ibanez ORM1 - Left Handed...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Thom
lamp

Ibanez ORM1 - Left Handed...

Post by Thom »

So I got my Ibanez ORM1 yesterday, as per my post in Paul’s thread and not wanting to detract from his I thought I’d start a new one.
First impressions were that this is a really well made “cheap� guitar. I don’t mean that it feels cheap in any way shape or form, or that anything suggests that they have cut corners, but for £235 it’s a hell of a guitar. Strikingly the body feels tiny! Not overly light or anything, but a lot smaller than a Jag or Strat.
With the strap button on the back of the neck joint it suffers from “SG neck droop� which is a bit annoying. Will be changing that and sticking it on the top horn as soon as I can.
The guitar itself is aesthetically beautiful. The bridge is great, looks classy.
Sound-wise it has a lot of bite and power. The stock pup is good, but not great. Distorted it’s got plenty of bass and the highs aren’t overly harsh, sounds really good actually. However, clean, it falls down a little, sounds quite sterile, a bit brittle. Will definitely swap it out for something warmer - clearly am going to have to take another look at the BKP range...am thinking this.
Comes strung with D'Addario XLs - I'm thinking they are 11s. Sturdy faux-leather gig bag and crappy cable included as well.

Interestingly, if you type “ibanez orm1 review� into Google, the first hit is Shortscale!

And necks lined up on top of my Jag - massive size difference, there's a good 2 - 3 inches more on the bottom of the Jag.

Overall I'm well happy - nothing I can really complain about for this price.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Nice Thom, i love the combination of Jag shape, 3-a-side headstock and block inlays.
If i had'nt bought the Duos i'd be tempted to get the black/red tort model.
Ibanez stuff is awesome, the GAX DC models are best value for money guitar on the market imo.

Do you plan to gig this Thom? What pup upgrade you considering, Hot Rail FTW!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

What's wrong with the pictures, are they backwards or something? :lol:

Very nice.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

I think that would actually look cooler with a reversed body. Like, buy a right handed model and play it upside down.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Fran wrote:Nice Thom, i love the combination of Jag shape, 3-a-side headstock and block inlays.
If i had'nt bought the Duos i'd be tempted to get the black/red tort model.
Ibanez stuff is awesome, the GAX DC models are best value for money guitar on the market imo.

Do you plan to gig this Thom? What pup upgrade you considering, Hot Rail FTW!
Totally Fran, I think that the guitar just works looks-wise - have thought so since I first saw them come out.
I definitely plan on using it with the band - it's coming to next practice (and gig when we sort one).
Pup-wise, I'm not desperate to change it, like I said the stock pup is pretty good, just not great clean.
I've been wanting to try out the Bareknuckle Sinner (link in my original post) for a while, and was close to sticking one in my Strat, but this may just be the perfect opportunity.
kevlar

Post by kevlar »

i've been dribbling over these guitars for the best part of this year. christmas is soon, and i think i know what i'll be sticking on my list.

one of the best features has to be the size of the body. i'm a little guy, and my jag totally dwarfes me. i would prefer the black and red tort model, but i can't seem to find it anywhere (UK). if anyone see's a site selling one, give me a shout!

droool
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

kevlar wrote:i've been dribbling over these guitars for the best part of this year. christmas is soon, and i think i know what i'll be sticking on my list.

one of the best features has to be the size of the body. i'm a little guy, and my jag totally dwarfes me. i would prefer the black and red tort model, but i can't seem to find it anywhere (UK). if anyone see's a site selling one, give me a shout!

droool
The black one is discontinued I think. Gonna be hard to try and find one of those now.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

kevlar wrote:i've been dribbling over these guitars for the best part of this year. christmas is soon, and i think i know what i'll be sticking on my list.

droool
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Restrung with my new favourite strings it sounds spot on:

benecol

Post by benecol »

I need to buy another three packs of these, my favourites too.
Simon M

Re: Ibanez ORM1 - Left Handed...

Post by Simon M »

Thom wrote: Interestingly, if you type “ibanez orm1 review� into Google, the first hit is Shortscale!
((thumup)

That's how I found this place! :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sorry Thom i didn't realize you had put pics up, anyway i'm glad you like the guitar and i think you will agree.... there are lesser guitars out there for the same money.... someone mentioned it having a small body, i'm a relatively small guy, 5ft 6in with my shoes on lol and the body size just seems perfect for me, small or tall these guitars are definitely worth a look, did i mention i was fat as well, oh and bald, don't worry though i make up for it in other places according to all your wives and girlfriends. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
I'm Sorry
Viljami

Re: Ibanez ORM1 - Left Handed...

Post by Viljami »

Simon M wrote:
Thom wrote: Interestingly, if you type “ibanez orm1 review� into Google, the first hit is Shortscale!
((thumup)

That's how I found this place! :D
+1 (not ORM1, i guess it was about mustangs)
Wild spirit of the Eagle, Black hawk, bird of prey design
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i have played both models in my local shop and i love the neck. the neck doesn't feel like an ibanez flat D shape neck at all. the thing feels exactly like a fender 24" scale C shape neck. im sure at some point in the process omar's super sonic must have made it somewhere near ibanez R&D department.

great guitar. not 600 dollars great. i would buy another mustang for that much money first. and continue to buy more mustangs over this guitar for that price
dots wrote:incesticide
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

So I finally got 5 mins to mess about with guitar stuff today and drilled out a small hole to put the strap button on the top horn.
Kicking myself I didn't do it sooner - totally fixes the issue of neck droop and feels like a nicely balanced guitar.
Fuck neck plate strap buttons.
Reece

Post by Reece »

Thom wrote:Fuck neck plate strap buttons.
ugh totally.

the strap button on my old artcore (set neck but it was where the plate would be) caused the strap to come of. it wasf before i had straplocks and the guitar took a dive so the jack smashed into the body leaving a nice big hole.

'bout two weeks after i got it brand new. i was in despair for about a day.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Reece wrote:
ugh totally.

the strap button on my old artcore (set neck but it was where the plate would be) caused the strap to come of. it wasf before i had straplocks and the guitar took a dive so the jack smashed into the body leaving a nice big hole.

*fuuuuuuu*
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Reece wrote:
ugh totally.

Thats a retarded design seeing as its sorta les paul shaped.
It looks like theres more than enough space for one on the upper bit.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Boab

Post by Boab »

Were these only issued in white & black?

I'd love a natural one! ((drool))
PLEASE!!!... Tell Me About the Fuckin' Golf Shoes!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Yeah just white and black so far...I reckon natural will be out in 2010 some time.