1959 Burst:The Movie!

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

1959 Burst:The Movie!

Post by westtexasred »

[youtube][/youtube]
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

it's not really a movie. just a bunch of old farts talking about how great the guitars are.
unfortunately the baby boomers have priced these things so far outside any normal person's reach, that we'll never find out if the hype is warranted.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

its a collectors item, i suppose, not as much of a players guitar :D
million dollars for a guitar, crazy.
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

That was nice of Slash to start playing Les Pauls when NO ONE ELSE WAS so they could become popular. I was surprised ot hear this, because I had seen les pauls in images from all over the fucking place since the day they were invented. But SLASH SET ME STRAIGHT.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
BoringPostcards

Post by BoringPostcards »

aen wrote:That was nice of Slash to start playing Les Pauls when NO ONE ELSE WAS so they could become popular. I was surprised ot hear this, because I had seen les pauls in images from all over the fucking place since the day they were invented. But SLASH SET ME STRAIGHT.
Yea, right, huh? Nevermind Clapton, Duane Allman, Dicky Betts, Pete Townshend, Les Paul himself, and hundreds of others.
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

It didn't totally go out of style but in his world the lp wasn't the most hip thing dudes in those bands were playing. In the 80's in the LA scene I can imagine everybody was playing pointy guitars and trying to be like EVH and here comes Slash with a guitar that was the height of rock tones in 70's Arena Rock. I can see what Slash is talking about.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

jcyphe wrote:It didn't totally go out of style but in his world the lp wasn't the most hip thing dudes in those bands were playing. In the 80's in the LA scene I can imagine everybody was playing pointy guitars and trying to be like EVH and here comes Slash with a guitar that was the height of rock tones in 70's Arena Rock. I can see what Slash is talking about.
Yea, I think he meant it more like that.

While other where miming teh metalzz.
He came with the 'old' vibe.

But I find Slash quite arrogant..so You never know.
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
BoringPostcards

jcyphe wrote:It didn't totally go out of style but in his world the lp wasn't the most hip thing dudes in those bands were playing. In the 80's in the LA scene I can imagine everybody was playing pointy guitars and trying to be like EVH and here comes Slash with a guitar that was the height of rock tones in 70's Arena Rock. I can see what Slash is talking about.
now that you put it that way, I can totally understand what he meant.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

SUPERSTRATS
BoringPostcards

Sloan wrote:SUPERSTRATS
:twisted:
brianeharmonjr

Post by brianeharmonjr »

Never been a LP fan, and I've certainly never been a Slash fan.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

The prices are very much at a peak right now. When I think of people in my age range, they couldn't be less interested in Zeppelin or Free or some of that other cock-rock stuff. I don't know that they'd even want a '59 if they could afford it.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

yeah, i wonder what's gonna happen in 20 years or so when all the boomers die off. will these things become affordable again? i guess not as long as we still have the japanese around.
if these were still at 1970s prices i'd probably want one. though i'd much rather have a '55 custom:
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

These things will always be collectable because we're talking about very low numbers. 1600 is not a large number, then you take away the ones that are destroyed, lost, thrown away and you have even less. There are people who also have 10-50 examples in their own collection, so there are many out of circulation. I just don't see prices on these falling back down to earth anytime soon. Also I think there are plenty of young people who do love the music these guitars produced and love guitar in general, as they make money they will also collect these just because it's one of the most iconic guitars. Not to mention you could have institutions buying these like the way banks and museums buy Stradivari's instruments.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Any time I'm watching a video that has to do with guitars, the second I see Slash, "BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHH (close window or turn off TV)"

Only drunk kids 15 years ago and/or angry sober loners like GNR. The type of person that goes to a bowling alley to hog the pool table and jukebox.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

It's a funny concept, that the '59s are the creme. It's sort of sad to suggest that no Les Paul manufactured since is somehow not great and not as genuine as the real deal.

They look nice because those gaudy bursts have faded, but I bet they're heavy as all get out. I will likely never see one in person, which is a shame as I would love to horrify some corksniffer by fucking up Back In Black on one. Goldtops are much nicer in my opinion, especially with P90s.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote: It's sort of sad to suggest that no Les Paul manufactured since is somehow not great and not as genuine as the real deal.
I don't think most serious people suggest that at all.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

paul_ wrote:Only drunk kids 15 years ago and/or angry sober loners like GNR. The type of person that goes to a bowling alley to hog the pool table and jukebox.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

jcyphe wrote:
Mike wrote: It's sort of sad to suggest that no Les Paul manufactured since is somehow not great and not as genuine as the real deal.
I don't think most serious people suggest that at all.
Why is there only fuss over this one year, with these few guitars then? What about the 60s ones?
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

the late '60s ones? those have become collectible too. just not nearly as much as their '50s counterparts.
some of the japanese copies are so amazingly good, i really can't imagine the real gibsons being that much better.