A Bass VI for $200?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

MattK

A Bass VI for $200?

Post by MattK »

I was just reading and commenting on a thread at the Fender Discussion Pages about building a Bass VI on the cheap. When I searched for a shorter scale bass neck, I found that SX do a short scale Jazz Bass - and a plan was born.
How about this? I start with the SX SJB62-3/4:
- remove tuners, dowel headstock
- strip headstock and neck back to sealer (apparently possible with ordinary paint stripper)
- drill for 6 tuners (would standard Klusons work for VI / baritone strings? if not, what?)
- new nut blank, cut and file to suit
- new bridge - it's not string-through so I can just take the old one off - I am thinking either a Telecaster 6-saddle (if the saddles would be large enough) (top-load probably, or through-body?), or a Danelectro baritone tailpiece (a bit pricier):
Pickups - either the Tele bridge with a pickup, and/or the MIJ Jaguar pickup I have spare. The SX has 8-pole Jazz Bass style pickups but I doubt they would be appropriate for the new string spacing.
Other cosmetics like Mustang knobs etc to follow; could also do a Jag switchplate and bass cut for the pickups.
So - it would be like a hard-tail Bass VI and I reckon I could do it under $200. Anyone got any advice?
If anyone wants to take the idea and do it, I would be really happy to see the results!
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

i just bought an sx shortscale jazz, and tbh, i don't think there's enough room at the nut for 6 strings. shit is real skinny.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Argh, A-width neck. What can I do?
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

One of those Xaviere jazzy copies with a Warmoth bari conversion neck?
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

anyone know the width of the nut on a vi?

i could measure the sx and compare.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
MattK

Post by MattK »

I just checked some Bass VI specs which say the nut width is 1.5" - the same spec as the nut on the SX shortscale J-bass, according to Rondo.
WOOHOO! (edit - sorry there are links in the first line, they are just hard to see)
(edit 2 - did a rough Photoshop mockup from the first pic and one of a real VI:
Quite a bit shorter than the VI in the body! Ugly?)
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i think there's one of those bridges in the classifieds right now...
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

you would need to find strings long enough; guitar and baritone strings usually fall quite a bit short
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ive always wondered on the regular bass VI tuners....they look like regular old guitar tuners....how the fuck can you fit a .120 gauge string down in the hole in that shit?
dots wrote:incesticide
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

Mo Rawka wrote:you would need to find strings long enough; guitar and baritone strings usually fall quite a bit short
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

touche.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
benecol

Post by benecol »

robroe wrote:ive always wondered on the regular bass VI tuners....they look like regular old guitar tuners....how the fuck can you fit a .120 gauge string down in the hole in that shit?
Because Bass VI strings go all thin at the end, like a guitar string. Also, if you're looking for a Bass VI on the cheap (this is no longer addressed at Rob anymore) then try a Dano baritone; same scale length, can be tuned down E-E. Just don't buy a new one from Adolf Danelectro.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Sacrilege I know, but the Dano's just don't appeal. I thought this might be a fun thing to do.
benecol

Post by benecol »

Your loss.

*twangs the night away*

*then plays his baritone*
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

robroe wrote:ive always wondered on the regular bass VI tuners....they look like regular old guitar tuners....how the fuck can you fit a .120 gauge string down in the hole in that shit?
Justin J wrote:
Also:

this gretsch baritone is tuned E-E.

as used by teh bon ivers! Come on, Skinny Love!

$549 new.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

benecol wrote:Just don't buy a new one from Adolf Danelectro.
do they even make them anymore? danelectro could give every gay person on the planet $1000 and i'd still hate them for the obnoxious policy of making a guitar in limited numbers, selling it for a month, and then never making it again.
benecol

Post by benecol »

I've never thought the numbers were that limited - I bought my '63 reissue the day it was released, mind. I used to have a saved search for Danelectro Baritone on eBay UK, and I'd get a couple a week. Fuck buying a new one now, though.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Dammit Rondo won't sell me the shortscale jazz bass because I am in Australia. Anyone want to sell me theirs?
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

could you not just do it with a bronco, musicmaster. or mustang bass?
i've always wanted to turn a gibson EB-0 into an EB-6. that'd be way cool.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Well yes, if I wanted to spend $700 and destroy a Fender! Actually I wanted to use the SX as a cheap starting point for experimentation.
Here in Aus even the "student" Fenders are stupidly expensive.

Also - your EB-0 to EB-6 would be pretty simple, wouldn't it? New bridge, new nut, put in a set of 3x3 Grovers, done! You'd only need to drill 2 holes and put in some bushings around the Grovers to fill the larger bass tuner holes.