Short scale bass project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Dillon

Short scale bass project

Post by Dillon »

Though not the kind you're thinking of :shock:

My dad and I have been building this bass for the last couple years. Finally getting around to finishing it. He's the type that appreciates rare / atypical woods and strange body shapes, so this is what he came up with :lol: It's a 29" scale bass. Body is walnut, top is maple, neck is ebony, fingerboard is rosewood.

I just realized I don't have any good pictures of it being made, it's actually almost done now...I'll have to ask him for some. But here it is all rigged up testing for pickup placement.

IMO, pickup placement on anything shortscale is vital...so we made a jig to allow us to move the pickups around. Basically it's just a block of wood shaped like a pickup, that we screwed the pickups into upside down, and stuck to some two-way tape.

You'd be amazed at the difference in tone between the end of the neck and the bridge. In the pictures, that's the position we decided on based on lots of testing. This weekend we'll route the pickup cavities and decide what to do from there...not sure about stains given the odd combination of woods, so it may just get a clearcoat. But I personally would like to see a black stain on the back (to match the neck) and a violin-style vintage burst on the top.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

What a cool project. I like the idea of moving the pickups around to test the positions. What's the head shape?
Yell Like Hell
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

very awesome. looks like james' weird set neck deal. cool jig too.
Zack

Post by Zack »

The pickup jig is awesome, for a second I actually thought that you had the pickups mounted in front of the strings. I'm actually kinda into that, cause the p-bass pup looked like it was a pup w/ a battery compartment, but then again, would screw up playability if an active pickup was marketed like that. I'm into the just straight clearcoat idea. Is the neck bolt on? I don't think staining the back to match the neck is that necessary if it's bolt on. Though, if it's set my opinion changes.
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

Liking what I see so far. Maybe post straight-on shot of body shape?
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Thanks guys :) We're not really sure about the headstock shape yet...currently it's some swirly thing that looks kind of like nekkid wemonz :lol: It's a neck through, not a bolt on, so yeah...the ebony part extends into the walnut. I've been looking for some better pictures but haven't found any. I'll take some tomorrow.
Zack

Post by Zack »

just put a nekkid wimmin on headstock, is better than coke-bottleshaep.

You should totally stain the back to match the back of the neck, but it already looks pretty dark. It'd be cool to see some top binding to differentiate between the top slab & the body. But is already got sem curves, can you even do binding to a curve like that or would you have to do an top or german carve?
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Haha it's not a coke bottle shape, actually. Hard to describe, but It's more like, the shape of a woman bent over carved into one side of it, while the top is flat :shock: I'll post pics whenever I get some. It's a bit too out there for my liking personally, but I don't know what else could be done at this point :lol: Binding might be an option, but neither of us have ever done binding...so it probably won't happen, especially since it has an arm contour on the top, that would be difficult :(
Zack

Post by Zack »

Sounds like it's already cut and shaped, but I refuse not to post my 4 minute photoshop work:

something liek dat wuld b sexXxiiii. Although it'd probably break under the tension, unless she an amazon.

coke bottle shape is like danelectro style, which may or may not fit this guitar. Like I said, binding would be cool but I think that's just another step you probably don't want to deal with, with that contour especially, maybe some other builders will give us some insight on it though.
johnniespring

Post by johnniespring »

the problem with your idea is that you can't actually properly play your bass with the pickups like that which means that you have no idea what they sound like in the position that you will end up with. With the pickups as they are in the photo you may be able to slightly touch the strings and make a sound, but you can't play the bass as you would normally play it in the place that you would normally play it so any sound you make with the pickups like that would not be a true representation of the final sound you will end up with.
In the past various people have made guitars with moveable pickups that slide along under the strings in a swimming pool so that the pickups can be placed in the perfect position for the player. That way works better cos the player can actually play.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

johnniespring wrote:the problem with your idea is that you can't actually properly play your bass with the pickups like that which means that you have no idea what they sound like in the position that you will end up with. With the pickups as they are in the photo you may be able to slightly touch the strings and make a sound, but you can't play the bass as you would normally play it in the place that you would normally play it so any sound you make with the pickups like that would not be a true representation of the final sound you will end up with.
In the past various people have made guitars with moveable pickups that slide along under the strings in a swimming pool so that the pickups can be placed in the perfect position for the player. That way works better cos the player can actually play.
ffs? i'm pretty sure that was a jig to find the placement before routing. not to actually mount them like that.

the density is immense.