My MAGUAR - Jaguar Project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

KS11

My MAGUAR - Jaguar Project

Post by KS11 »

Fender Jaguar project

i hesitated from posting here for a while before i could get my build together, but i was a little excited in my first steps in putting a guitar together.

i have soldered together guitars from the past, but i have never did a whole build before (with all the parts on hand)

i decided to get started on a guitar i love, and it's a doozy (the wiring, that is) i am still exploring possibilities for wiring now

without further ado, here's some pictures

my first step was to spray the matching headstock and apply decal. the neck came from a floyd rose endowed strat neck.
i already ordered a floyd rose nut delete.

more to come in the build when i get more parts in.

(girlfriend bought me the body for my Christmas present, so i'll be naming the guitar maguar since her's names maggie)
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

so it's a strat neck? on a jaguar body?

that won't work, right?
Zack

Post by Zack »

If the distance from the nut to the bridge = a common scale that is known to work then it should work? I still think that jag and jazzmasters have the same body (aside from the top horn difference and build nuances). Fender makes the Baritone Jag, so why not the fullscale jag. Interesting in having this dude try it.
KS11

Post by KS11 »

:ninjaedit: ^ you beat me to it, kind sir!
hotrodperlmutter wrote:so it's a strat neck? on a jaguar body?

that won't work, right?
yep, something about nut width and fret size, but i can assure you i did my research on this and found the fret spacing to be the exact same as my jazzmaster, (not shorter scale like the jaguars). I placed the necks on top of each and other and found the spacing of the frets identical from the strat neck and the jazzmaster neck.

if you mean by not working as in aesthetically, i totally agree with you, i would like 22 frets too but my budget right now needs me to work with what i got :cry:
Zack

Post by Zack »

he means a neck made for a 25.5" scale guitar won't work on a 24" scale guitar. Needs jcyphe science.

edit: haha, rad.
Reece

Post by Reece »

so wait, why the jazzmaster neck comparison?
is the bridge in the same place a jazzy bridge would be rather than a jag then? the scale issues comes from the bridge placement, if the neck is the same as a jazzy then it still won't work on a jag.

i'd advise checking the measurement from the 12th fret to where the bridge will be and comparing it to the measurement from 12th to the nut when the neck is attached.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

KS11 wrote:yep, something about nut width and fret size, but i can assure you i did my research on this and found the fret spacing to be the exact same as my jazzmaster, (not shorter scale like the jaguars). I placed the necks on top of each and other and found the spacing of the frets identical from the strat neck and the jazzmaster neck.
this is exactly my concern. a jazzmaster neck and a strat neck are identical afaik.

if you're putting a 25.5" scale neck on a 24" scale body, you're going to have to alter the bridge placement. then it becomes a jazzmaster, and a bit hasty on the headstock decal.
KS11

Post by KS11 »

Reece wrote:so wait, why the jazzmaster neck comparison?
is the bridge in the same place a jazzy bridge would be rather than a jag then? the scale issues comes from the bridge placement, if the neck is the same as a jazzy then it still won't work on a jag.

i'd advise checking the measurement from the 12th fret to where the bridge will be and comparing it to the measurement from 12th to the nut when the neck is attached.
that's definitely something i will look out for, some early measurements (lining up the holes) from my jazzmaster to this warmoth body seems to confirm that the bridge will be the same location along with the nut. i can see what you mean with this handy picture i stole saw on a website.

i am still waiting for my mustang bridge to come in and then i'll see what i can do

edit: another thing is my jazzmaster is a MIM so there might be a difference due to the tune-o-matic bridge as well
Reece

Post by Reece »

KS11 wrote:
Reece wrote:so wait, why the jazzmaster neck comparison?

that's definitely something i will look out for, some early measurements (lining up the holes) from my jazzmaster to this warmoth body seems to confirm that the bridge will be the same location along with the nut. i can say what you mean with this handy picture i stole saw on a website.

i am still waiting for my mustang bridge to come in and then i'll see what i can do
look at the neck pocket and the bridges. the red jazzy bridge is further back and the neck pocket further forward, making the distance longer.

think about this, the 12th fret is supposed to be exactly half the distance from the nut and the bridge otherwise your intonation is gone.

on a 25.5" scale neck it'll be, what, 12.75" from the nut to the 12th. on a 24" scale it'll be 12".

you put that 25.5" scale neck on a 24" guitar and suddenly you've got 12 + 12.75. 24.75 scale and your 12th fret is three quarters of an inch closer to the bridge then the neck.

i hope there's been some sort of misunderstanding and that isn't the case.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

regardless of the version of jazzmaster, or jaguar, the scales are the same.

25.5"
- strat
- tele
- jazzmaster

24"
- mustang
- jaguar
- bronco
- musicmaster
- vista jagmaster

if you make it work without changing the bridge placement, everything i've learned about scale length interchangeability from this site is incorrect.
Zack

Post by Zack »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:if you're putting a 25.5" scale neck on a 24" scale body, you're going to have to alter the bridge placement. then it becomes a jazzmaster, and a bit hasty on the headstock decal.
or fullscael shartscael
KS11 wrote:another thing is my jazzmaster is a MIM so there might be a difference due to the tune-o-matic bridge as well
shouldn't be.
KS11

Post by KS11 »

definitely point taken with the info provided here, thanks much for the info provided already!

i never thought about bridge placement, so major noob here unfortunately so bear with me guys :oops:

i automatically assumed the jaguar would be the same as the jazzmaster in construction, (although the picture and info here proved otherwise)

if worse comes to worse i could just fill in the hole and take measurements for moving the bridge to the correct position for a longer scale neck. otherwise, back to the drawing board and a delay for my build for another half year.

i would still keep the decal on cause the electronics/pickguard etc would still be 100% jaguar (although i do like the shorter scale)

as for my statement: "another thing is my jazzmaster is a MIM so there might be a difference due to the tune-o-matic bridge as well(?)" i meant to put a question in as well. again sorry for my noobity
Zack

Post by Zack »

KS11 wrote:if worse comes to worse i could just fill in the hole and take measurements for moving the bridge to the correct position for a longer scale neck. otherwise, back to the drawing board and a delay for my build for another half year.
Really it won't take six months to figure it out. If you're happy with the scale of 25.5" on your jazzmaster then make a fullscale shortscale. Just follow reece's measurements to get that 25.5" scale. If you want to go 24" actual jaguar then you should go look for a shortscale neck off a mustang, musicmaster, bronco, cyclone, jag stang, vistajagmaster or jaguar.

Also, I bet you're glad you figured it out though dude, imagine getting this project done and getting a bunch of dead frets or bad intonation.
Haze

Post by Haze »

i was about to pull out my jag/jm comparison pic too but you guys have shit under control.

Another problem that you might run into soon is Warmoth not making an exact jaguar body, thus the parts not lining up exactly. Mainly the pickguard conflicting with the routes and control plate placement. Basically a ploy to make you buy their pickguards ect...

I think you should just get a shortscale neck before you mess up the body with filling and routing, just my opinion
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

yea dude, just get a vintage shortscale (musicmaster, duo sonic, mustang) neck off eBay. they're pretty readily available for under $200.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Zack

Post by Zack »

and getting them made is close the the same price. I'm bidding on a couple musicmaster necks right now, winning the 99.95 dollar one, don't really want to have to bid more. the other one's at 50 something dollars, but bidder has probably outwitted everyone with a 300dollar bid.
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Re: My MAGUAR - Jaguar Project

Post by pumpkin »

KS11 wrote:i already ordered a floyd rose nut delete.

more to come in the build when i get more parts in.

(girlfriend bought me the body for my Christmas present, so i'll be naming the guitar maguar since her's names maggie)
What's a "nut delete", never seen one before...

I'd be careful about naming a guitar, especailly one you made, after a girlfriend. If you break up you'll be reminded of her when you play it. That's like the guitar version of getting her name tattooed on your arm.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Goots. wrote:and getting them made is close the the same price. I'm bidding on a couple musicmaster necks right now, winning the 99.95 dollar one, don't really want to have to bid more. the other one's at 50 something dollars, but bidder has probably outwitted everyone with a 300dollar bid.
i find my luck comes in for the clutch when i don't tell other people of the deals i find. srsly, if i find a deal, i don't share my excitement otherwise it's gone. started with a game boy camera in like 8th grade.
CROSS

Post by CROSS »

You're much better off buying a Proper Jaguar neck for such a nice body.
paul_

Re: My MAGUAR - Jaguar Project

Post by paul_ »

nwordjim wrote:
I'd be careful about naming a guitar, especailly one you made, after a girlfriend. If you break up you'll be reminded of her when you play it. That's like the guitar version of getting her name tattooed on your arm.
any name not on a decal is purely affectational and can be changed any time you like.
He can rename it the Slaguar if things don't work out.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"