Headstock Decals!!!

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

this link takes me to a message board....wtf?

i want decals man. not messages
dots wrote:incesticide
luke

Post by luke »

Mo Rocca wrote:how do they do the relicing process? ive been wondering about that for a while.
Drop it down some stairs, whip the back with a belt buckle and leave it out in the sun and rain for about a month. :-D
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I found that relixing a decal was pretty easy. You spray several coats of clear over it, and have to sand that anyhow. Just sand a little sloppy.

I made an offer to the Reranch folks that if they ever wanted EPS or PDf files of the Fender logo, I have some. Only one guy took me up. I could probably even monkey up a Castratocaster for the nutless or a Castrocaster for commies.

I didn't have to send George any art because I was getting straight stuff, but I think he says he can do it. I too was uber happy with his work and even more so since I fuckered one up and needed the spare. I still have a handfull yet to do.
Yell Like Hell
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Looking at personalised Decals its quite pricey.

I got a quote from thedecalshop.co.uk for my Strat. I asked for a spaghetti F-type logo in gold saying 'Frander Stratomaster' and the asking price is 25 pounds for the one-off artwork then 8 pounds per decal. I can appreciate the time involved but imo that is expensive.....the decal will have cost me more than the Neck! :?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

You could just make one, and then buy some decal paper. It'll be much cheaper than custom ordering one.
Shabba.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

bob wrote:You could just make one, and then buy some decal paper. It'll be much cheaper than custom ordering one.
How d'ya suggest i do that? On the pc then print it off?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

that ink isn't compatible with laquar, though...and (I believe) you can still do that, but you'll need to lay a blank sheet of waterslide on top of the decal...

something like that, anyway.
handen

Post by handen »

Exactly how would I go about sanding off the Squier decal on my '51, and once I get a Fender Whatevercaster decal, how would go about putting that on then re-finishing the headstock to the same finish as it was before sanding?
luke

Post by luke »

To sand it off, just put some sandpaper against it and move it backwards and forwards until it disappears. That should work. ;)

Ask Aug about the rest.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

Aug wrote:that ink isn't compatible with laquar, though...and (I believe) you can still do that, but you'll need to lay a blank sheet of waterslide on top of the decal...

something like that, anyway.
You can use Krylon clear coat over the ink, then apply the decal as normal...
handen

Post by handen »

Malik wrote:To sand it off, just put some sandpaper against it and move it backwards and forwards until it disappears. That should work. ;)

Ask Aug about the rest.
How to sandpaper he;lp plz tia :?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

block sand (or use a palm sander) with 100 grit to get the finish and decal off completely (which is silk screen) then 150 grit, 220 grit, 400 grit and 800 grit. Apply a couple coats of sand & sealer (or clear) let it dry completely, apply your decal, let that dry 12 hours, then apply clear coat till your happy.