Awesome Mod for Cyclone HH

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

estaban22

Awesome Mod for Cyclone HH

Post by estaban22 »

So, my guitar guy talked me into this... He was amazed at how great the Cyclone was (he had never played one before). However, he suggested a modification which I was not sure about at first but I'm extremely happy I decided to go through with it. What he did was add coil taps... so you can switch from the sound of a double humbucker guitar (and the pick ups in the HH are awesome!) to more of a strat type sound. This guitar is as versatile as they come. I'm a bit of a gear whore, but I'll never get rid of this guitar! Here is a picture of my Cyclone HH!:

here is a link to the rest of the pics if you want to see them: http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae12 ... lone%20HH/
Guitars:

2004 Fender Cyclone HH (Orange) w/ coil taps
1985 Fender Jazzmaster w/Lollars, mustang bridge and buzzstop
2008 Fender Telecaster Standard (Candy Cola Red)
2008 Fender Jaguar HJG-66KC VI
2009 Fender Stratocaster Standard
Haze

Post by Haze »

I would have recommended using push/pull pots instead of 3PDT switches (or is it 2pdt?)
you get the same result but you don't have to change the asthetics of the guitar. I also wouldn't have put the switches right beneath the pots as a use my pinky to roll the volume and tone knobs and having a switch right in the way might be painful

just my thoughts ;)

I LOVE that colour, I don't think I've seen a cyclone with two buckers either, what a sweet looking guitar!
MaMo

Post by MaMo »

Haze wrote:
I LOVE that colour, I don't think I've seen a cyclone with two buckers either, what a sweet looking guitar!
As luck would have it, cyclones have a swimming pool route, so any cyclone can be an HH model with a custom pickgaurd. :wink:

Glad you're happy with your mods esteban. I have to agree w/ Haze on the Push/pull option, but I'm a bit biased since I have that option on a Gibson Nighthawk so I'm used to it. Out of curiosity, are those the stock pickups you've got in there?
scandoslav wrote:i heard these are wank when it comes to metal
RUN AMOK!.
estaban22

Post by estaban22 »

Yes, those are the stock pickups. Fender Santa Anna and Fender Atomic humbuckers.
Guitars:

2004 Fender Cyclone HH (Orange) w/ coil taps
1985 Fender Jazzmaster w/Lollars, mustang bridge and buzzstop
2008 Fender Telecaster Standard (Candy Cola Red)
2008 Fender Jaguar HJG-66KC VI
2009 Fender Stratocaster Standard
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Oh wow, coil taps. Exciting stuff.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

hahahahaha.
looks good dude, glad you dig the mod.
never have seen a cyclone like that before though...
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Very cool cyclone! I've never seen one with a black pickguard. Is it stock? Do the stock pickups have four wires to do this mod? I have a cyclone I with an atomic humbucker in bridgeposition and would think about something like this...
dezb1
The Oppressor

Re: Awesome Mod for Cyclone HH

Post by dezb1 »

Looking at this guitar made me think of the Dukes of hazard...the general lee of guitars...nice!
XY
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

love the look of it minus the switches. Coil taps are awesome, but push-pulls really would have done the job better.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
johnniespring

Post by johnniespring »

jagsonic wrote:Very cool cyclone! I've never seen one with a black pickguard. Is it stock? Do the stock pickups have four wires to do this mod? I have a cyclone I with an atomic humbucker in bridgeposition and would think about something like this...
why not have a look yourself?
i'd guess that they must have unless they are replacement pickups and he says they aren't so....
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

ok, ok ;-) i'm lazy...
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

Coil tapping would indeed be a cool mod and add a lot of flexibility. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I have to agree with the people who voiced a preference for push / pull pots... but either way, it's cool that Fender includes four wire humbuckers "stock" on the 'bucker equipped Cyclones - I didn't know that.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

...but we won't forget: Coil tapping is cool and brings more versatility to the guitar. But it NEVER sounds like a real singlecoil. :roll:
Haze

Post by Haze »

Sure it does. A Humbucker is basically two single coils which are wound opposite polarity, opposite windings and are connected in series. Coil tapping just grounds out one of the coils, leaving you with one single coil remaining in the circuit. I'd be interested to hear your opinion as to why this method doesn't sound like a real single coil
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

because a normal output humbucker is very low output when split. IMO they sound really thin and crappy and nothing like a normal strat style pickup when split. high output humbuckers sound ok when split though.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Haze

Post by Haze »

preeeecisely. These P-Rails, for instance, sound PRETTY DERN GOOD when they are "coil tapped" :lol:
I like a fairly hot single coil, somewhere around 6-6.5k is about right for my playing and reacts well with my other gear. The problem is, when you take a standard humbucker wound to somewhere around 7-8k you'll have a wimpy 3.5-4k. It has its place of course, but its not what i think of when someone says "Single Coil" and its certainly not what i prefer them to sound like.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

oh... you gave the reason yourself...

I love to have a splitable humbucker in my jagstang. But a single bridge singlecoil of a mustang/strat sounds different.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

ok a bit off topic here but....
► Show Spoiler
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Haze

Post by Haze »

jagsonic - i gave my reasons, this is true. i asked for your opinion on the subject. no offense to you of course, i just thought i'd call you out and see if you'd heard the difference yourself and made an educated decision instead of reading about it on interwebs
sorry if that came off as an asshoel, only curious

MAGE
► Show Spoiler
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Okay...
I've heard the difference myself while playing my jagstang (splitable) compared to my duosonic or strat. The reason why it sounds different i think is:
First the different output of a humbucker and a singlecoil (in case of different windings and thickness of the wires - not to forget the different magnetic materials).
Second i use different distances to the strings on a singlecoil and a humbucker.
Third point: The inactive coil has a magnetic leakage (translated by dict.leo.org) ;-) which will have an effect to the sound of the active second coil.

I hope, i will get a good grade in this examination 8)