Tracking Headphones

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

George

Tracking Headphones

Post by George »

I'm after a cheap and cheerful set of tracking headphones for recording. Anyone got any recommendations?

Really just after decent isolation with little bleed. Sound quality doesn't have to be amazing. Something like these would be great but as far as I'm aware they're not available in the UK....

MoreMe Headphones
Johno

Post by Johno »

Just go Maplins & get some cheapo £30 senheinser's or for around £100 a nice pair of Grado's off the interweb
George

Post by George »

Cool, I think I see the ones you mean in their catalogue. Are they good at the old isolation malarky?
Johno

Post by Johno »

GeorgeF wrote:Cool, I think I see the ones you mean in their catalogue. Are they good at the old isolation malarky?
The Senheisers are, Grados are leaky but brilliant.
George

Post by George »

Cheers, I'll have a look in Senheiser's direction. I'm really after as little leak as possible.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Get some extreme isolation or vic firths, theyre like £30 from thomann.

or these look good:

Superlux HD-662
Al_

Post by Al_ »

I like the Sennheiser 212's -- good bang for the buck and plenty of isolation.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I'd reccomend these, 25db attenuation and theyre £21!

Extreme Isolation HP25
johnniespring

Post by johnniespring »

what are you recording? and how loud? pretty much any closed headphones will work if you are recording low volume instruments and have the headphones at a sensible level. if you are recording loud instruments and want to hear through headphones without hearing too much of all the other stuff going on in the room or if you have the headphones loud and are wanting to record something quiet with no spill then you may need something more costly.
lank81

Post by lank81 »

Cheap Sennheiser and a pair of Vic's here. Both are good for under 50$ US.
Peace & Chicken Grease
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

There are Sennheisers and Sennheisers, though.
One of my pet hates is a cable which terminates in a mini-jack without a threaded 1/4" adaptor. The best design is a cable which attaches to a single point and can be replaced if needs be.
Sennheiser HD-465s fit all my criteria, are excellent for tracking, comfortable to wear and can sometimes be had fairly cheap in the UK - I got a pair for my son for £25 for Curry's online shop (though the average price is about £40).
George

Post by George »

It'll be nothing more than bedroom recording I suppose, that's why I want low bleed. I'm not fussed about anything amazing soundwise. If anything closed back will do the job that'll save me quite a bit of money. Thanks for yez help.