Pressing tracks to vinyl.

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

kingoftherodeo

Pressing tracks to vinyl.

Post by kingoftherodeo »

Is this an expensive proccess? I am recording in september, but aswell as pressing the tracks to CD I would like to press a couple to vinyl too. Anyone got any sort of experience with this type of thing?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Depends how many you want pressing really - if you literally only want a 'couple' pressed then it wouldn't really be worth your money. Infact I'm not even sure you can get them pressed in single quantities. Like anything I think it tends to start getting cheaper the more you have pressed...
Searching in Google seems to yield a fair few results so just have a scout around and I'm sure you can get a good deal from somewhere.

Vinyl Pressing
kingoftherodeo

Post by kingoftherodeo »

Thanks a million for that. I wouldn't want too many doing, due to the, somewhat, lack of interest in vinyl these days. But if I could get maybe 50 ish done, I think that would be a really cool thing to have! I have a pretty small but decent collection of vinyl myself so this would be great. Thanks again for the link!
Simon

Post by Simon »

kingoftherodeo wrote:Thanks a million for that. I wouldn't want too many doing, due to the, somewhat, lack of interest in vinyl these days. But if I could get maybe 50 ish done, I think that would be a really cool thing to have! I have a pretty small but decent collection of vinyl myself so this would be great. Thanks again for the link!
You'd be surprised, loads of people still love vinyl! A lot of bands start out doing limited runs of 7" singles.

I guess the sensible approach would be to get as many pressed as you thought you could realistically sell. Don't go spending a fortune on a 1000 run pressing when really only 100 people may buy it. That's just common sense though, I'm sure you know that.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

I've looked into it before and it's expensive, especially in the uk as there's only a couple (maybe even one) pressing plants left. Some brokers will get them pressed in europe, as costs are often lower. If it's just for the sake of vanity i wouldn't bother.
kingoftherodeo

Post by kingoftherodeo »

stewart wrote:I've looked into it before and it's expensive, especially in the uk as there's only a couple (maybe even one) pressing plants left. Some brokers will get them pressed in europe, as costs are often lower. If it's just for the sake of vanity i wouldn't bother.
It does seem a little pointless to get them pressed in Europe just to sell a small amount. Thanks.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

I meant the company you go to will sometimes get the pressing done in europe, which makes it cheaper for you, if you catch my drift. When you get vinyl pressed it's generally done through a 3rd party of some sort. If you approach a pressing plant yourself they'll likely tell you to beat it. Hope that makes sense... I'm essentially saying 'shop around'.
kingoftherodeo

Post by kingoftherodeo »

Ah right. I get you now. Took a while but I'm there!
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I know next to nothing about it. But our record label probably does.

http://www.deadformat.net/
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

the mixes for vinyl, and cd should be different as we hear both formats differently, unfortunatly i can not find my notes on mastering for vinyl vs mastering for CD, i suspect they are sitting at the jam studio.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

serfx wrote:the mixes for vinyl, and cd should be different as we hear both formats differently, unfortunatly i can not find my notes on mastering for vinyl vs mastering for CD, i suspect they are sitting at the jam studio.
This is from customrecords.com, a novelty one-offs dealie
► Show Spoiler
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

mastering is different for every medium. CD, Cassette, Vinyl, Film, TV, Youtube, Myspace, etc. They're all going to have to be mastered differently to sound best in that medium.
awfurby

Post by awfurby »

I don't know how good these guys are - but they do the mastering for you as well: Mobineko
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

Unless you have money to burn, pressing up 50 vinyl copies is an expensive indulgence.
The biggest expense is in set-up costs, so the unit cost of vinyl gets cheaper the more you have pressed.
As a guideline, the set-up cost alone for a double-sided 7" single (from Portalspace Records) is just over £400, not including label set-up and printing charges.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

that's where white labels, rubber stamps and making your own covers becomes a good idea. but yeah, it's still pricey whichever way you slice it.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:Unless you have money to burn, pressing up 50 vinyl copies is an expensive indulgence.
The biggest expense is in set-up costs, so the unit cost of vinyl gets cheaper the more you have pressed.
As a guideline, the set-up cost alone for a double-sided 7" single (from Portalspace Records) is just over £400, not including label set-up and printing charges.
exactly. the expensive part of the process is making the master, negative, mother, etc. that takes experienced technicians to to do that and it's a pretty complex process. once they have that though, they can press a ton of copies and it doesn't cost very much. some videos on the process:
[youtube][/youtube]

the part that they skip over in that first video they explain a bit more here:

[youtube][/youtube]
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

kingoftherodeo wrote:Thanks a million for that. I wouldn't want too many doing, due to the, somewhat, lack of interest in vinyl these days.
You say that, but it's very much the done thing to do in underground punk/indie/metal circles. I guess those kinda genres inspire more High Fidelity-esque fanboyism and "snobbery" than your standard rock music though.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i find that vinyl pressings are only cost effective at 500+

cd's are dirt cheap.

it's a bummer, but true.

vinyl does offer ability to enhance packaging though.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Yep, and you never hear of people doing "split CDs"; but loads of bands do split 7-inches. Vinyl is a good format for that kind of mini-release.
knpknpknp

Post by knpknpknp »

Ive run into a split 12 inch recently, which was nice. It would all depend on how long your release is.

If you were working on a longish e.p, then find another local band looking to do the same thing, and do a split, each album on one side.

At least with that, the cost would be split in half, and you would be (logically) selling double the quantities. That many more people will hear your music.