How Do You Use Your Effects?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Progrockabuse

How Do You Use Your Effects?

Post by Progrockabuse »

Hello there, thought i'd put this out there and see the response.

we all know about what gear we use and whats on our pedalboards, but how or why do we use what't on our boards.

do you use a certain pedals to recreate famous sounds, use it for wacky effects, use it for texture. go through your board and tell how you use it.
things like dirts and overdrives are kinda self explanatory, but if it does something particular to your sound, list it.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Kept simple to concentrate more on riffs. I was looking for a sound between early Sabbath/early Stooges.

Behringer Tube Amp Modeller>Dean Ramsay Fuzz>Behringer Superfuzz.

I use the Modeller on a clean Mesa setting, due to the low tuning we use it helps clarity on the notes especially using P90s. The Fuzz pedals are just for different flavors of dirt were songs may need it.
Anything else other than Wah/Envelope Filter would complicate the sound and probably detract from what we are trying to achieve.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Overdrive and fuzz are for adding balls to my sound 8)

I go: Modded Boss DS-1 > Morley Power Wah (soon to be replaced) > Danophobe CC Drive > EHX Nano Small Stone > Boss CE-3 > EHX Memory Boy (hopefully will have an Ibanez DE7 to go after the Memory Boy soon.)

I use Delay to fill out passages making them sound huge, was really useful when I was the only guitarist in a band.

Chorus adds 80s style cheeseyness which is always good, I like it with delay and a clean sound too, adds nice warmth and depth.

Phase and Wah I use for a bit of funkyness or to add emphasis to a couple of bars of music, used to stick phase on when playing heavy bits for a bar or two in my old band to kind of draw attention to me for what was about to come (normally a guitar solo).
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

So, your in a Jazz-Fusion band then? :lol:
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

EHX Doctor Q > MXR GT-OD > Dwarfcraft Devices Shiva > Effector13 2ADD > Boss DD3

The two fuzzes and the overdrive are just to get different dirt sounds on different songs, GT-OD being the lightest and the Shiva being the harshest. Sometimes I also have two of them on at once (e.g. the outro to one song has the GT-OD and the 2ADD). The Doctor Q only gets used on twos song really, I have the 2ADD on for most of one song and I put the Doctor Q on during my solo to give it a more nasally sound. The other song I use it in I actually use it how it's supposed to be used - TO SOUND FUNKY, which it does especially well with the GT-OD on as well. The DD3 is mainly used to make noise, I have it on a really harsh setting with feedback on full and kick it in to make like a helicopter sound. I've experimented with having some slapback when I'm playing clean, but I didn't feel like it really added to my sound in any way.
ohyeahfuzzbear

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

Set-up:

MBM Crunch Box --> Devi Ever U.S Fuzz --> Big Muff w/ tone wicker OR Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz (depends on how I'm feeling)

Before my DD-6 got destroyed I used to use the warp function on it to get this sound that started out quiet and just swelled up, I used it in breakdowns and stuff.

At the moment I only use overdrive and fuzz because it's all I need for the stuff we play. The overdrive is used for general riffing and the fuzz is for when I want to push things and make everything super loud.
Doog wrote:"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Fran wrote:So, your in a Jazz-Fusion band then? :lol:
Irony is yh I do play jazz-fusion :oops:

Although I use my pedals mainly for noise 8)
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

mrperson wrote:
Fran wrote:So, your in a Jazz-Fusion band then? :lol:
Irony is yh I do play jazz-fusion :oops:

Although I use my pedals mainly for noise 8)
Mahavishnu Orchestra by any chance?

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

John McLaughlin is a pretty big influence on me, Birds of Fire is one of my favourite albums.

I'm too cool right? :lol:
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

My current set up:

EHX Micro Pog -
MXR Dyna Comp -
MBM True Bypass Looper (with tuner out and MBM Salt Booster in bypass channel), this splits into 2 dirt channels -

1. Fredric Effects Utility Percolator & Fredric Effects Harmonic Percolator.
2. MBM DLS/OCD, Dano CC Fuzz, Fredric Effects IC Big Muff & MXR/Custom Audio Electronics Boost/Line Driver

MBM True Bypass Looper, this splits into 2 effects channels

1. MXR '74 reissue Phase 90 & Maxon AD999
2. MBM Salt Shaker, MXR EVH Flanger & Marshall Echohead

MXR Smart Gate

The amount of dirt pedals are there purely as I like a wealth of different sounds (so I don't get bored) and some sound better for certain songs than others. Modulation is usually there to add an atmospheric edge to certain riffs or whatever, I guess this comes from my love of certain post-punk/shoe-gazy bands. The Echohead is used with the feedback right up so I can hit a note and it repeats for ages and gradually gets louder and louder, great for ending a particularly noisy song.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

mrperson wrote:John McLaughlin is a pretty big influence on me, Birds of Fire is one of my favourite albums.

Big respect for the Mahavishnu Orchestra/John McLaughlin mentions. I love the first couple of records, i'll never be able to play like him though.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

johnnyseven wrote:
mrperson wrote:John McLaughlin is a pretty big influence on me, Birds of Fire is one of my favourite albums.

Big respect for the Mahavishnu Orchestra/John McLaughlin mentions. I love the first couple of records, i'll never be able to play like him though.
Yh their stuff is really great, his playing is crazy.

One of the reasons I started listening to this kind of music was because its so much more technically demanding than all the other stuff I listen to, I'm constantly trying to improve my playing and by attempting to learn this kind of music my playing improved drastically.
Last edited by Gabriel on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berto

Post by Berto »

BBE Orange Squash>Zoom PD-01>Turbo Rat>Boss CEB-3>Behringer DD400.
I play bass in a band so i use the compressor all the time (BBE) to give my notes more sustain and decrease the variance in volume. I use the Zoom for for giving my bass tone some grit and a tube-like sound. The Turbo Rat is self explanatory, i use it when i have the opportunity to rawk and make a raucous (duh). The chorus pedal i use in one song, but it gives the song character. I am still dicking around with the delay, i have no use yet. I try to use pedals when i can because i dont want to be the typical bassist, i want to be able to add something unusual, but not like les claypool. So pretty much all of my pedals help me create my tone.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

i'll never be able to play like him, but i love what he did in mahavishnu orchestra.

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
George

Post by George »

John McLaughlin is the sex!

I've got a tuner, compressor, and a drive pedal which I don't really use. At the moment I'm really into clarity of sound and playing clean with bit of overdrive which I get from my amp. No modulation effects necessary and I have a reverb tank in my amp which I use sparingly at low levels. In the last year I've started looking at jazz and gypsy jazz stuff which has probably pushed me down the clean route even further.

I get lost and confused with effects like delay, phasing and fuzz though I have plans to buy a tremolo at some point.
George

Post by George »

Some Mahavishnu Orchestra while we're on the subject...

[youtube][/youtube]
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Fairly sparingly.

All I have on my board is my Amp Footswitch for Clean and Crunch sounds, my Tuner, Saltshaker Trem for the wobbles on a couple of songs, and the Echo Base which I use on about 3-4 songs. I also throw my Dual Drive (DLS/OCD) on there for gigs as a backup - if my amp isn't working or the footswitch breaks for it then I can use the pedal with my amp or another bands' to get through the set.
Vis

Post by Vis »

On guitar chorus and delay for thickening up clean rhythm parts and Gilmour-esque prog rock noodling, compressor for percussive punch, phaser for adding dimension to muted rhythms.

On bass, chorus for sweetening fretless bits, compressor for caving in of audiences chest cavities and octaver for wacky fun(k)time hijinks.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

My signal chain goes: Vox V847A Wah> Sovtek Muff> 80's Rat> Boss FRV-1

The Wah is used fairly rarely and generally not in a "wah-wah" manner but in a cocked/half cocked way, in order to make my crummy solos break trough the mix.
The Muff is almost always cascaded into the Rat. That's my high gain sound. (It used to be the other way around but all the Rat did was trebble up the Muff)
The Rat is my primary dirt sound. The drive never goes up passed 11 o'clock.
The FRV-1 is never off.

Before I got the Rat, I'd run an LPB-1 into a Vantage Analog Delay box to overdrive the opamps, for a similar effect.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I run clean almost exclusively... I don't have a pedal board :P

I do occasionally use some OD, in which case it's just Guitar/Bass -> OD -> AMP
On one song with my band, I use the Vibrato on my Twin Reverb... so what I tend to have on the floor is a Fulltone DP-1 and the Reverb/Vibrato footswitch for the Twin.

In an older band I used OD/Dist a little more often with my bass, in which case, I would run Bass -> Marchall Jackhammer -> Fulltone DP-1 -> Amp... the Jackhammer into the DP-1 with bass made for some gnarly sounds when I wanted some extra grit. If I just wanted a little dirt, I'd use the DP-1.

In years past I'd occasionally run with a Boss CE-3 Bass Chorus.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press