Happy Accident

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Al_

Happy Accident

Post by Al_ »

So I was recording a band two weeks ago and couldn't get either of my direct boxes for the bass guitar to work--weren't passing signal. I think it was a wonky cable that I'd soldered up the night before; but in my frustration, I plugged the dudes based into my G-K 800RB head, unplugged the cab, and just used the direct out. Holy crap. Why I never did this before I'll never know. Tone for days and it turned out to be one the best bass sounds I've ever gotten--direct, mic'd or whatever. I was a bit concerned with running the amp without a speaker; but I contacted G-K today and they said no problem. Good times!
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

good news/info!
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

It was a guy I work with son's ska band. He plays trombone. They have a four person horn section which was new for me as well. I've recorded horns before; but always as a solo instrument. I can post one of the tracks tomorrow. Bunch of highschool or just out kids. The bass player had a Musicman bass of some type that sounded good as well. Drummer is Mike Halloran's son. I'll post one of their tracks tomorrow. Cool stuff.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

as far as multiple horns go, was it alot of positioning of the players?
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Not really; I just lined 'em up and stuck dynamic mic's on each one. The original tracking day there were only three guys there (bari sax, trumpet, trombone); then the alto sax guy and trombone player came back a different night. They all solo at different points so 8
I had to have them on separate tracks.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

All of the horn tracks were done as overdubs. I tracked the drums, bass and guitars all together then circled back and did the horns and vocals as overdubs.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Here's one of the tracks: Screw It
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

i like that the ska track is actually titled what i like to say about ska.