Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

New Boss Pedals

Post by Mike »

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

They've done well upgrading and slightly simplifying the layout of the PS-5 in the PS-6, not too fussed about the Power Stack, although the mode-gain dial is a nice idea.

It looks they've pretty much got non-wobbly polyphonic pitchshifting down finally but I am surprised, what with the 3 voice mode and all, they didn't design the pedal so it could cop Micro POG sounds, given its popularity.

The hairy guy's picking style makes me feel slightly sick though.
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

I'll have to give them a listen when I get home, Harmonist could be quite fun.
broncobuster80

Post by broncobuster80 »

The powerstack could be cool i think.. their bassman pedal produces some seriously usable tones
fat southern dude from Ends post wrote:so take that all you brand snobs.. you go buy all them high dollar f^<kn' gear, you still cant get tone like that. you know why? cause your a dumb @ss
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

The Power Stack looks like a modern version of the Power Driver (that did'nt last long).
Damn PS-6, i want them to do PS-3's again :x
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Fran wrote: Damn PS-6, i want them to do PS-3's again :x
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Theyre annoyingly expensive now and they're a great pedal. If only I could afford a used one!
Haze

Post by Haze »

PS-3s can be had around the $150 range. Not bad considering nothing else does does what it does. the Super Delay tries a Mode 7 in Reverse Mode C but its nnearly the same.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Haze wrote:PS-3s can be had around the $150 range.
Fair play I've only ever seen them on ebay for like £150+
Haze

Post by Haze »

Easiest to grab them on harmony central, thru trend to go through then pretty quick. There's one on the us ebay for about 170
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

mrperson wrote:
Yeah. I think there is one in a local junk type guitar shop, i might go down and see if he's still oblivious to what its worth.
Fine pedal, i built my sound around a PS-3 in one band 8)
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Fran wrote:
mrperson wrote:
Yeah. I think there is one in a local junk type guitar shop, i might go down and see if he's still oblivious to what its worth.
It sucks I'm still paying for my Eastman (the guitar in my avatar) so any major pedal purchases are off the table :(

But if they have it at that shop for cheap and you don't want it give us a shout :wink:
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Fran wrote:The Power Stack looks like a modern version of the Power Driver (that did'nt last long).
Damn PS-6, i want them to do PS-3's again :x

Yeaahhhh, this feels like a PS-5r instead of a PS-6. I was really really hoping that boss/roland would release a Pitchshifter/Harmonist dual pedal with expression pedal inputs and a few "out there" modes. Like a sibling to the DD-20. The three voice mode looks fun though.

These will be good solid pedals no doubt... and the new DSP in the PS-6 will sound lovely for sure, but nothing about these pedals make me want to buy them over the counterparts in competitors pedal ranges i.e. POG2, microPOG, Whammy, Harmonyman, Metal muff range, the Grunge or Death Metal pedals etc. etc.

Only because the digitech ranges and EHX ranges seem too feel a lot more "fun" and creative. It also seems that digitech and ehx (I know there's other pedal companies of course, but these guys aim for the same spot in the market IMO) guys are trying to break into new territory sound wise too and exposing themselves to risks because of that. Their products that compete directly with certain boss pedals kinda feel a bit more exciting than just a work horse pitchershifter/harmonist utility. If this paragraph makes any sense at all...
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

mrperson wrote:
Fran wrote:
mrperson wrote: Fair play I've only ever seen them on ebay for like £150+
It sucks I'm still paying for my Eastman (the guitar in my avatar) so any major pedal purchases are off the table :(

But if they have it at that shop for cheap and you don't want it give us a shout :wink:
Sure. £140 shipped sound good? :lol:
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Fran wrote:Sure. £140 shipped sound good? :lol:
Aha think I'll pass
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I love Boss pedals. It seems weird that they even come out with new stuff cause they really could just release pedals from 20 years ago in the exact same layout and nobody would care. But i like new too.

I had a PS-3, PS-2, HR-2 and many more Boss pedals when I was in a knob tweaking phase. All those pedals are classics, it's a shame I didn't hang on to those and now you have to spend $150 to get another. But the good thing is Boss pedals are so popular, I'm sure you can still find deals outside eBay in local stores and pawnshops.
Last edited by jcyphe on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zack

Post by Zack »

oh man, the ps-6 sounds killer. best of both worlds with whammy settings & harmony. how long do you think these will take to get to stores? I'm thinking it's necessary to try this thing, seems so unreal.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Online stores are shipping to European punters by the 7th of September, it would appear- I'm guessing it'll be the same if not sooner for the US market.
Last edited by Doog on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

not really sold on the power stack, but the harmonist sounds kinda cool for that brian may-ish sound.

just wish boss would take a leaf out of MXR/EHX and re-release some classic boss gear.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

jcyphe wrote:I love Boss pedals. It seems weird that they even come out with new stuff cause they really could just release pedals from 20 years ago in the exact same layout and nobody would care. But i like new too.
This is true, in fact oddly enough i've gone full circle with pedals. After years of trying out numerous brands including boutique stuff i've ended up with a DS-1 and DS-2 on my pedalboard.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

I like how the one video is pretty much just Marty Friedman awkwardly masturbating in front of a camera for several minutes.

In case you nodded off during the video, much science is dropped, including gems like:
Has-Been wrote:"The tracking is really tight, you know -- that's what I like about it."

"My playing is actually really hard to track. *cracks off wank riff* Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion, the notes kind of slide up and slide down, so, the harmonizing effect has really got to be tight to follow it."

"You might want to use it in moderation, but it sure is fun to play with."
Sold!

I think he pretty much out-DeMarco'd the entire DeMarco clan.