Epiphone Les Paul Junior?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

plaidbeer

Epiphone Les Paul Junior?

Post by plaidbeer »

I've tried using the search engine numerous times, but it's in "DEBUG MODE" and I can't find any results. So, sorry if this has already been posted. But.....

My damned JM is on backorder and it could be weeks before I get it. So, I'm guitarless and I'm going nuts. Guitar Center is having a sale on Epiphone Les Paul Juniors for $99. Are these worth having? I mean, I want a guitar to play in the meantime, but if it's total crap, I'd rather save the $. Any experiences/opinions?
Dingus

Post by Dingus »

The last edition of them that GC had (the sunburst ones) were total shit. A guitarist in my old band got one and it's really unfixable. The newest ones might be diff though... maybe.

I ended up getting an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. '57 Reissue for $200 shipped off ebay, it has the set neck and all and with a pickup and electronics upgrade its really a fantastic guitar.
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

Thanks for the info. I'm a little low on funds and I really want a guitar to play while I wait and I know not to expect much for $100. I had the faint hope that there would be something out there that wasn't total crap. Did some looking around on GC's site for the stores in my area and there were these--Aria Pro II STG, Jay Turser Tele, Affinity Strat, Washburn Shadow, and a couple of others.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

shell pink bullet strat. It is cheap and playable. Play a few till you find one that the neck feels decent. Then if down the road you want to upgrade it, hit GFS up for some new stuff for cheap.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ILL SELL YOU BLACK DUO CASTER FOR 200

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by robroe on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

mickie08 wrote:shell pink bullet strat. It is cheap and playable. Play a few till you find one that the neck feels decent. Then if down the road you want to upgrade it, hit GFS up for some new stuff for cheap.

you know that shit aint shell pink

its pepto pink
dots wrote:incesticide
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

well true enough, but I have seen some that look decent and some that look like crap. the blue ones do loo decent though as well.

Also, check out guitar fetish (guitarfetish.com) and look at the clearance section or the xaviere guitar section. The other day they had some pretty cool thinline style teles for like 140 on clearance
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

mickie08 wrote:well true enough, but I have seen some that look decent and some that look like crap. the blue ones do loo decent though as well.

Also, check out guitar fetish (guitarfetish.com) and look at the clearance section or the xaviere guitar section. The other day they had some pretty cool thinline style teles for like 140 on clearance
I've been looking at the Xaviere thinline Tele and Strat, but (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it looks like the radius is much larger on the fretboard (12) than on a lot of other guitars (9.5). I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that difference.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

robroe wrote:ILL SELL YOU BLACK DUO CASTER FOR 200
What neck you got on that rob?
TexasSwede

Epi LP Jr 57 RI

Post by TexasSwede »

Dingus wrote:I ended up getting an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. '57 Reissue for $200 shipped off ebay, it has the set neck and all and with a pickup and electronics upgrade its really a fantastic guitar.
He's right. They're damn awesome, but the cheap sunbursts are just glorified Epi LP Special IIs IMO.

Actually, in all fairness, I have a Special II Special Edition that was $180 on a last minute Christmas sale (it was twice the price of the regular Special IIs) that is pretty cool. Upgrades galore. Zebra Burstbuckers & beautiful finish on body and neck. Very playable out of the box. I keep it tuned open G for my Black Crowes/Stones moods.

Be careful with the cheap Xaviere & Agile type imports. Their entry-level guitars often need some fretwork/adjustment done to be playable. I can say, however, Agile's mid and upper price-point LP guitars are pretty nice. Look at Craigslist/eBay for a model "3000" or higher.
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

I played one of the $99 Epi LP Jrs this afternoon and it had trouble staying in tune the entire time I spent with it, especially the G string. I even used my clip on tuner to tune it accurately. It's not worth the hassle. Played a used Jay Turser tele, too. It was as light as a Tele thinline and had a rosewood neck. It sounded ok, but the pots and tuners were crap. I'm thinking about waiting until I find a used CV Duo-Sonic--any thoughts on what a decent price for used one would be?

BTW, do you ever have to deal with people who sit down about 3-4 feet away, plug into an amp, and crank the hell out of it with no regard for others? Is this supposed to be normal? Granted, it was at a GC and some of that stuff happens in the keyboard room, but not that close by and I was playing at a very low level. I wanted to punch that guy in the back of the head for being so rude.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Reverb + Delay wrote:BTW, do you ever have to deal with people who sit down about 3-4 feet away, plug into an amp, and crank the hell out of it with no regard for others? Is this supposed to be normal? Granted, it was at a GC and some of that stuff happens in the keyboard room, but not that close by and I was playing at a very low level. I wanted to punch that guy in the back of the head for being so rude.
I could've sworn the last time I went to GC a guy was following me around in a circle, plugging into the nearest amp and noodling away. He was either trying to start a fight or a blues jam. Or a blues fight.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doug

Post by Doug »

Reverb + Delay wrote:I played one of the $99 Epi LP Jrs this afternoon and it had trouble staying in tune the entire time I spent with it, especially the G string. I even used my clip on tuner to tune it accurately. It's not worth the hassle...I'm thinking about waiting until I find a used CV Duo-Sonic--any thoughts on what a decent price for used one would be?
It'll be worth the wait, Reverb. I just got a CV Duo-Sonic and it's a really good one. Love the neck and pickups, lotsa tone, low buzz-free action, perfect intonation, small size & light weight. Got it used, in mint condition, I mean truly pristine, with a gig-bag for $239 USD. So you can about figure what you'd pay for one in "used condition" without a gig-bag...maybe $170? $210 tops?

Check the intonation before you buy; I understand some Duos are harder to intonate.

BTW, my experience with the Epi LP Jr. is the same...I've played just a few but each was as bad as a new guitar can be.
Doug
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

Reverb + Delay wrote:BTW, do you ever have to deal with people who sit down about 3-4 feet away, plug into an amp, and crank the hell out of it with no regard for others? Is this supposed to be normal? Granted, it was at a GC and some of that stuff happens in the keyboard room, but not that close by and I was playing at a very low level. I wanted to punch that guy in the back of the head for being so rude.
Happened to me the other day at GC. I was sitting down checking out some Les Pauls they have in a little area near the entrance. So this dude walks up grabs an SG and plugs it into a Marshall half stack that's pointed directly at me, and proceeds to crank it while playing Back in Black or something. Luckily he got a phone call (from his mom probably) telling him to GTFO of the store.
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

Doug wrote:
Reverb + Delay wrote:I played one of the $99 Epi LP Jrs this afternoon and it had trouble staying in tune the entire time I spent with it, especially the G string. I even used my clip on tuner to tune it accurately. It's not worth the hassle...I'm thinking about waiting until I find a used CV Duo-Sonic--any thoughts on what a decent price for used one would be?
It'll be worth the wait, Reverb. I just got a CV Duo-Sonic and it's a really good one. Love the neck and pickups, lotsa tone, low buzz-free action, perfect intonation, small size & light weight. Got it used, in mint condition, I mean truly pristine, with a gig-bag for $239 USD. So you can about figure what you'd pay for one in "used condition" without a gig-bag...maybe $170? $210 tops?

Check the intonation before you buy; I understand some Duos are harder to intonate.

BTW, my experience with the Epi LP Jr. is the same...I've played just a few but each was as bad as a new guitar can be.
Doug, thanks for the info. I found a CV Duo-Sonic for $190. It should be here in a week.