Better of two pickups for electric mandolin

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Which one?

Lace Silver
100%
XL 450
No votes

Total votes: 2
mezzio13
GOODmin

Better of two pickups for electric mandolin

Post by mezzio13 »

I have a Lace silver and a Bill Lawrence XL450 (think a hot rails only a little more bitey). My (super cheap) electricmandolin came with an extra noisy single coil in it. Which would you use OF THE TWO? Any why? I'm not buying anything.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

So, this was helpful.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Lace silver, I'm not a rails fan.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Lace silver too.

I think with the lace sensor it will sound more of mandolin and less of pickup, the XL450 might bring too much of it's self to the sound... Either that or it will make your mandolin sound like clapton's strat in which case use the other one.
obscure pop culture reference
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

Stuart wrote:Either that or it will make your mandolin sound like clapton's strat in which case use the other one.
l@l

I was leaning towards the Lace myself, but the match up so weirdly sometimes that I wanted input. I ruled out regular singles since the poles would not even be close to lining up. So these were the two I have that aren't really committed to anything.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

what about something like this or any little piezo duberry for that matter. They are relative inexpensive but I cannot attest to their quality.

When I've used none guitars; mandolins, banjos, ukulele and junk that you bang and scrape, it's just been done by standing near a mic, which is a bit of a pain but you get used to it. Come to think of it I've done guitar that way too.
obscure pop culture reference
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

DO THA ZOMBIE BUMP.

Going through the threads to move to this subforum I cam across this thrad. Mezz - what eMando have you got and what pup did you go for?