making a band practice room.

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

izodiak

making a band practice room.

Post by izodiak »

I have a dream about starting a little band practice place.. not just for my band,but to rent out.
And here people are short on gear, so it would be nice to fill it with the 'correct' gear.
I was thinking about 5'000 dollars, about that price range.

about amps,cabinets (I would build myself),drums,some mics for easy live record, PA system, mics.

For now my basic idea is -
Tube or transistor amp? Im thinking about the usage,would tube amp cope with it?
Was thinking about the Orange - Dual terror head both for bass and lead guitar, and a Fender Bandmaster head for rythm.
and 3x shure sm58 mics, some Behringer europower mixer..
Would I be able to make my own speakers ? (Cabinets and for the Pa system?)

any suggestions?
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

You're not talking about a recording studio man....The people who are going to be tone snobs at a practice will have no issue with bringing their own gear in fact they'd most likely prefer it. And if they don't have a good amp, well then, beggars can't be choosers. Also keep in mind if you're not going to be there while these bands are renting it out, they're likely to break shit, even if not it's not intentional. They're likely to not turn tube amps on standby, spill water/soda/beer, etc.

Mixer - The Cheapest 300 watt PA system you can buy...Behringer, Phonic, etc....Should run you $400 if you buy it new with speakers

Drums - Something intermediate, like a pearl export or something. Should run you $400 - $800 depending on hardware

Bass amp - Some loud 80s Peavey. Or if you want to go slightly more upscale than that, Gallien Krueger makes some nice not too pricey stuff with a lot of power. Should run $500 tops

Guitar amp 1) - Peavey Classic 30. Plenty of volume for practice...Great class A tube tone. And they usually run $300-$400 used

Guitar amp 2) - Tech 21 Trademark 60. Reliable versatile solid state workhorse that sounds and looks pretty close to a tube amp.

Guitar amp 3?) - Musicman Sixty-Five. Mentioning it because these are very fenderish tube amps that are way more affordable on the used market than a twin or deluxe reverb. Whenever the local shops get them around here the 2x12 combos usually sell for $500.

Mics and Mic stands - I'd get 3 boom mic stands and 3 20 foot XLR cables. For Mics, I would get EV Cobalts. They have a lot of volume and clarity thanks to the neodynium magnets. Their official street price is like $70 but the dealers pay like $23 for them so they often do buy one get one sales on them on musiciansfriend. You may want at least one Shure SM58 for the people who want tried and true, and maybe a little more warmth in their vocal.

If you want to be super generous you could get also get a keyboard like a Korg X50 and a DI box to plug it into the PA

Even paying top dollar for all this stuff you're talking at spending a few grand less than you're expecting.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Make the rooms dead or acoustically useful, Have a decent PA, Have Video recording and some sort of multitrack recorder to record board mixes.

Maybe a little drum riser.

All the practice halls in vegas are brick rooms with no acoustic treatment and its fucking horrible to practice in. FOAM IS YOUR FRIEND!
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

wow, such a lot of great help.
I was thinking of getting an korg micro XL, for those synth buffs,but maybe thats dumb, just get a keyboard, like You said.

About those amps.. I really like a Crate, so I will check that out.

I dont know shit about bass guitar amps etc.. so thanks for the peavey advice

That recording, well I just wanted the practice place to be top-notch..really kewl.
with a little possibility for a rehearsal recording.

Hope to find a appropriate place for that kind a stuff.
(and try to isolate it good)

how it is with basements, with little valved/arched ceiling,the basement is quite big, actually..
Ian

Post by Ian »

In vegas there's a large amount of cover bands trying to start up.

I don't know how it is in other cities. But if I were to make a practice hall in vegas I would expect people like that to be coming through and try to capitalize on it. ;)
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

hope it works out in ye old eastern europe : D

will post some pics, when stuff starts coming in.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

do not amke cabinets, it is rare that you can make a decent one that will sound good for less than you can buy a used one.

For PA, i depends on the bands, but a behringer powered head is what I would get with a couple 15" mains and maybe at least 1 floor monitor

3 mics and mic stands Mics do nto matter much unless you are recording. For practice, any mic will do.

For amps... Whatever heads you can pic up cheap there if you are using cabinets. I would seriosuly consider getting a couple crate power blocks to keep around as they are loud enough and take pedals well. Maybe a epi jr head or some of the knock offs that are available

For Bass, I would get a GK combo, or even a bugera head and cab or similiar. Whatever you can find that is cheap because in a rental space, things are going to get trashed so cheap and replaceable is the key.... Useable, but cheap and replaceable. Anyone who is paritcular can bring in their own amps/heads/mics.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...