Audio Interface recommendations?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Simon

Audio Interface recommendations?

Post by Simon »

I'm looking to get into some home recording and just wanted some pointers towards a half decent AI.

I'm probably looking to spend around the £150 mark but can go a bit higher if it's something that's really worth it.
Given that these are just going to be bedroom recordings with maybe one or two mic/line inputs I don't really need anything more than that.
Although if anyone can recommend me something in my price range with more inputs then that's a bonus.

I've been looking at the following and read some pretty varying reviews - M-Audio Fast Track/Pro, Tascam US-144 mkii, Focusrite Saffire 6, Lexicon Omega, Mbox...

Ideally I'd like an Mbox 1(the first design they brought out I think) but I always tend to get outbid by someone on Ebay! My other choice was the Tascam as it seems fairly straightforward and doesn't come with all the additional software packages that I don't really need anyway. I've read that the drivers are a pain to get working though...

It's worth mentioning that I use Logic Pro on a MacBook so I'm already half way there in terms of a setup. I'm just after a half decent Mic and interface.

Any help, as always, is appreciated!

Help a noob out! :?
Johno

Post by Johno »

I use the Line 6 UX2 , I like its simplicity, comes bundle with Pod Farm Ableton Riffworks & Reason.
toez10

Post by toez10 »

M-audio fast track MK II. Great little interface, easy to use, and really decent mic pre.
lank81

Post by lank81 »

If you don't want ProTools I think you'd be better off going with something Presonus. The Pre's are just as good and they are a little cheaper. If you want ProToolish piece of software, check out Reaper, 40$
Peace & Chicken Grease
Simon

Post by Simon »

Cheers for the advice and replies peeps :)

I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a Mackie Onyx Satellite - http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/index.html
Managed to whindle some guy's offer of £160 down to £125 on eBay.
I was a bit drunk when I bought it but I'm pleased I did. It should be with me today so I'll be sure to report back here with any reviews.

I'm completely new to this 'bedroom recording' lark but I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into writing my own music again.
lank81

Post by lank81 »

I haven't read much about the Satellite but my buddy has an older Onyx 1620 with the firewire and it's a great mixing / recording board. If these are the same pres or the ones from the newer line, I think you've got a winner.

Matt
Peace & Chicken Grease
Gap

Post by Gap »

Really impressed with Focusrite's latest Saffire range, Saffire 6 is only £139. Looking for a 40 or 56 model myself. Seem to be the best value for the number of inputs and features available without doubling or tripling the price by going RME, Apogee or Metric Halo (I wish!)
This must be Thursday, I never could get the hang of Thursdays
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

yup, I got the saffire pro 40. 'tis awesome. also the new pro tools is not locked to digidesign hardware anymore. so you can use it with any interface.
zedoktor

Post by zedoktor »

I've been eyeing the presonus fp10 quite a bit of ins so you can mic drums if you have to or whatever and it's relatively inexpensive.
last.fm/user/zedoktor
proroby

Post by proroby »

The apogee one is amazing for mic'n your amps and for vocals. Not a big fan of plugging an instrument into it. Overall it's one of the best I think.
There's a snake in my boots. Someone poisoned the water hole!
jim93

Post by jim93 »

I would second the apogee one if you have a mac if your not going to get protools. I thinks its better to not have as many inputs if you can have less good inputs and the apogee one has excellent conversion.
drBenway

Post by drBenway »

I have the UX1, it's great for amp simulation and throwing together ideas. But it's worthless for mics in my opinion. I can't get a decent signal from it without using the built in compressor (which colors the sound and makes it sound like a big pile of shite)
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

jim93 wrote:I would second the apogee one if you have a mac if your not going to get protools.
Mages wrote:the new pro tools is not locked to digidesign hardware anymore. so you can use it with any interface.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Presonus is terrible. I'd have gone with Focusrite or Echo if you weren't gonna spring for an Apogee.
paincake
FUCK I'M FUNNY

Post by paincake »

Well I would like a ProTools interface. I used to have the original MBox. That was awhile ago on a Mac. My computer now is Windows 7 and I've had many nightmares setting up Audio programs on my computers (WHY THE FUCK IS IT LIKE THIS REALLY?). I'm inclined to just stay in the MBox family but have no idea if MBox 3 and software would be friendly with Windows 7. The site is cryptic in it's informations sharing.

Can anyone treat me like a 2 year old and lay some knowledge on me? How could I get a 2 input interface that uses Protools without having to be a technician and computer programer to get it to work?
I am the Earth-Toned Goth
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

what version of protools?
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i'm glad to see paincake posting again!
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
paincake
FUCK I'M FUNNY

Post by paincake »

M-Box comes with Protools LE.

Anyway, I'm sure whatever I get will take some manpower to tweek what folder this goes n .. how to have that talk with this.. what ERROR 8375 : LONG LOOP DRAG (or other nonsense sentence explainations) mean... and rebooting random crashes until (if) it works.

When did wanting to record at home mean you need to be a computer programmer?

@Gaybear. I exist but only in smoke and mirrors.
I am the Earth-Toned Goth
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

ok so it is like protools LE 7 or 8 or something? I think you can chose between any of the older mboxes, and the digi001, digi002 and digi003 racks. you can probably get a used digi003 for cheap. then there are all the m-audio interfaces for which you need protools m-powered. their phasing out all that LE and m-powered stuff now though. I'm not sure if the new m-boxes (the grey ones, they're not blue anymore) will work with LE. they're simplifying everything now to work with protools 9 which is open to any interface.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Love Protools 9.