Shortscale collective

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Shortscale collective

Post by dezb1 »

After having a conversation with Fran and Stewart in the pub. I thought we should start a sort of shortscale music collective on myspace for all the bands on the forum who have music for download / sale on t’internet. Anyone who likes the idea here’s the page: [removed due to myspace being shite] just put you shortscale name in the comments box on the friends request form.

Ps: I posted this here so we only get ss regulars signing up, and the top 8 will be set to random so everyone gets a fair crack and I think everyone should add the collective to thier top friends

Pps: any chance of a sticky Mods?

edited to add link - James

bandcamp link
Last edited by dezb1 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XY
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I like the idea but is myspace a good choice dez? From what i can gather its on the verge of a mass exodus, 250,000 if THIS is anything to go by.

Anyone else's thoughts?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

myspace is cack
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:I like the idea but is myspace a good choice dez? From what i can gather its on the verge of a mass exodus, 250,000 if THIS is anything to go by.

Anyone else's thoughts?
Maybe not, I just thought it’d be a good idea. There’s a group of bands up hear called the fence collective, they play gigs together and sort of promote each other and I’m pretty sure they all benefit from the group mentality. even if we're all in different countries. we have a good community here and I think it could work but maybe MySpace isn’t the place for it.

what about soundcloud?
XY
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I'm well up for it if people keep the suggestions coming, i'll also check soundcloud..
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

We could potentially do a Bandcamp; it's easy to set up multiple bands and feature downloadable content (either free or paid for), nice 'n concise. Check out my Doog & Friends banner below for the vibe I'm suggesting.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

That looks quite impressive Doog.
Does it have its own community as such or radio? Or is it just a decent base to link out elsewhere (like myspace ended up being)?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i'm up for it, but yeah, would rather avoid myspace.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Yeah but let's only have bands that Stewart mentions in interviews on it.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Sounds like a good idea. We only have Myspace and Facebook pages but i'm sure if it was decided to use other websites I could sort out a profile pretty easily.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Mike wrote:Yeah but let's only have bands that Stewart mentions in interviews on it.
:lol:
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

band camp looks pretty good for downloads and sales and stuff, how and who would like to set it up. I'll use my limited internet know how if no one else wants to (won't look as good as doogs)
XY
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

If all contributors (excluding Mike, if Stewart wants him to be part of this?) could have a password and spice it up over a period of time maybe?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Empires wrote: Is this an exclusively UK thing? Or just exclusively UKers interested?
my idea was for it to be a shortscale thing for anyone interested
XY
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Did you take the myspace down? I just tried following the link and it didn't work.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

johnnyseven wrote:Did you take the myspace down? I just tried following the link and it didn't work.
aye; sorry. everyone seemed to think myspace wasn't the place for it so i deleted it. hopefully we get something else up and running cause could be pretty good
XY
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

Did someone say "Collective"...

But seriously, this sounds like a great idea.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Aw right I’ve set this up: http://shortscalecollective.bandcamp.com

I had a look at the billing for selling tracks and I think it’d be a lot of work to sell everyone’s tracks / ep’s trying to keep track of sales and money. So I figure the best idea is if we all put a track up for free containing a link to our own separate band camp / iTunes / whatever page, people can come have a listen to our bands and then should they want more from a particular band continue on to their own respective web page.

Anyone who wants added pm me a link to the tune you want added and a note of your web based domain.

Ps: that’s not the track I’m submitting that was just a trial run

[edit] if you want to add art work to your track give me a link to that as well
Last edited by dezb1 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XY
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

add me on myspace, i hate myspace but it's still the best way to get your music in intranetz, especially when you're like me with no way to pay for records or whatever, just diy, hvm is just me and kev, but mostly me, i program drums, record guitars, vocals, bass...kev does...'live' things, but we can't do 'live things' because the search for 'our' drummer is stuck in this shit place.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

that's you track up Fran...
XY