Squier CV Tele or VM P90 Tele Custom?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

johnnyseven

Squier CV Tele or VM P90 Tele Custom?

Post by johnnyseven »

I'm, hopefully, going to be selling my Bassman cab and i'd like to use the cash to buy a guitar. I really like Tele i'd I think i'd like one of either the Squier Classic Vibe Tele's or one of the Squier Vintage Modified Tele Customs with P90s. I know people on the forum have both of these but which should I buy?
AaronGuitarDude

Post by AaronGuitarDude »

CV50, better build IMHO :wink:
benecol

Post by benecol »

Yep, the CVs I've played have been fantastic (the tele custom especially), the P90 (and humbucker one) VMs much less so. The latter would need careful auditioning to find a decent one, plus fettling once you had it - the former is great straight off the peg.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

the CVC is a great guitar and everyone says the CV50 is better . . .

but I don't buy it. I don't see how you can't like the rosewood board and binding. the pickups sound great and the finish is great. the only thing to be a little cautious of is the neck is a little think for a tele. obviously, if you can, just play them both and decide.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I hadn't realised there was a difference between the sunburst and blonde models, I thought it was just the colour. I think they both look pretty good. What's the difference in sound?
benecol

Post by benecol »

portugalwillie wrote:the neck is a little think for a tele.
This is the perfect typo, falling as it does precisely between thick and thin.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

50s has your standard thick maple neck with the nicely curved fretboard.

If you like traditional tele feel, this is the one.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

The VM is an amazing guitar, I will never ever sell mine, and I use it allllll the time. The 50s CV is really great, too. Quality control is pretty whack on the VMs though, and Ive never heard a complaint on a CV.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
benecol

Post by benecol »

mickie08 wrote:50s has your standard thick maple neck with the nicely curved fretboard.

If you like traditional tele feel, this is the one.
See, I think the 60's neck was a better tele neck - probably because when I pick up a 50's tele, I expect a huge neck, and am disappointed if it's not. I thought the 60's felt better too, but guitars can vary, as a few of us have said.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Is the VM model the one thats been available a long time with Duncan Designed Soapbars?
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

YES WITH THE DUNCAN AWESOME ASS KICKERS.
Srsly. When I went to put a P90 in a project tele I went to ebay>search>"Duncan designed p90">BIN $14.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
lorez

Post by lorez »

other difference between the CVC and CV50 is the wood of the body. the CVC is alder and the CV50 is pine (similar to proto teles apparently). The CVC neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard while the CV50 is maple and thicker. The pickups are different as well. The CVC has alnico5 where the CV50 has alnico 3.

They do sound a lot different. The CV50 has more of that twang factor to it where as I feel the CVC is more rounded in its tone.

I've only tried the VM thinline and while I liked them I prefered all the CV's better. The Mahogany CV Thinline is another amazing guitar as well. I would say out of all the CV guitars the teles are the best of the bunch.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

aen wrote:YES WITH THE DUNCAN AWESOME ASS KICKERS.
Srsly. When I went to put a P90 in a project tele I went to ebay>search>"Duncan designed p90">BIN $14.
Yeah great guitars. I got one in a trade last year but swiftly sold it on, sounds stupid but it was that good i thought if i keep it i'll just end up buying Teles for the next five years.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

benecol wrote:
portugalwillie wrote:the neck is a little think for a tele.
This is the perfect typo, falling as it does precisely between thick and thin.

ha. I meant to put thin . . .
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

Something else--the 50s is heavier than the CVC. I started out with a CV50s back in August and it was a little heavy for me. I believe they're 8.6 lbs. I would have gone with the CVC or a Thinline had I known that at the time.
Rox

Post by Rox »

I had a Vintage Modified Tele . Don't know why I got rid of it . I think because it had a few crooked screws . Fit and finish was a little sloppy but it played like a dream and would take anything I threw at it . Classic Vibes I think are much better built but a little plain . Despite that said I would still recommend the Classic Vibe . Good guitars . I would dare say the quality and sound is better than some Mexican Fenders .
benecol

Post by benecol »

plaidbeer wrote:Something else--the 50s is heavier than the CVC. I started out with a CV50s back in August and it was a little heavy for me. I believe they're 8.6 lbs. I would have gone with the CVC or a Thinline had I known that at the time.
Reckon the weights will vary - pine's pretty light, as a rule, but there'll be some heavier CVCs, some 50s. A quoted weight will never be the same across the board.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

i'm like my wife, i love them skinny.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
benecol

Post by benecol »

Something something fat like my cock.
Supersonicman

Post by Supersonicman »

benecol wrote:Something something fat like my cock.
So you play the mandolin?