Jaguar? Suggestions?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

What the heck should I get?

Fender Jag - Black
22%
Fender Jag - Sunburst
35%
Squier Jag - Fiesta
26%
Squier Jag - Sunburst
No votes
Other - Tell In Comment
17%

Total votes: 23
Aux_Axe

Jaguar? Suggestions?

Post by Aux_Axe »

Getting a Jaguar soon, if all goes well. Any opinions? I love them to death and have always wanted one, but when I checked them out today I noticed that the Squier one has a strat input jack. Uglyyyyyyy.

Should I hold out and get a Fender instead? Problem is, there isn't much for colour options that way.... I was hoping for either a Fiesta or Sunburst. Fiesta looks delicious (marshmallow strawberries meet bubblegum).... But I haven't seen any.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Alternate options, even? Cost isn't too much of an issue, though obviously the cheaper the better. Damn though, that strat-jack throws it off pretty badly.

Any/all opinions and suggestions welcome.
"Fascinating!"
stilwel

Post by stilwel »

White Jaguar with Tort guard.

Aux_Axe

Post by Aux_Axe »

Well, I could always massacre it within seconds of owning it, by stripping/repainting it.
"Fascinating!"
Haze

Post by Haze »

If cost isn't an issue then look into thin skins. Especially if you want a custom color. Check out wildwood.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I have an AVRI Sunburst Jaguar and it's gorgeous, but if you have a shot at a Fiesta Red or Lake Placid Blue Jaguar you should get it. Robroe's Fiesta Red Jaguar is spectacular.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i waited 12 years for my fiesta avri

good luck

1. it is the opposite of cheap.

2. its rare as all hell

3. you gotta sell more than half your guitar collection to get it

4. its worth it
benecol

Post by benecol »

Like Rob says, tighten your belt and get an AVRI - you can't go far wrong with a secondhand one, there are loads of colour options available, and they are lovely. I used to have an AVRI in Ice Blue Metallic, and it was the business. If you've not already, get an account over at Offset: there's a fairly regular supply of cheap (-ish - no shortscale-style bro-deals over there) Jags as their members buy them only to slough them off. And welcome, too.
Aux_Axe

Post by Aux_Axe »

Thanks guys.

@benecol Yeah, I finally made an account there after lurking for months. Never thought of looking for one on there, to be honest. Thanks. If I do get a second hand, I'd probably settle for any colour, but the more I think about it, the more I want that Fiesta. I could always just get a generic Fender jag and re-paint it. I've been playing with the paint on an old Strat body and it's been working out pretty good.

@robroe This is probably the thousandth time I've seen you/your fiesta mentioned. It must really be something. Also, 12 years? It must have been worth it.

@taylornutt I'd sell my soul for a fiesta. Well, most of my soul. And my left foot. And probably a nostril or eyebrow. Though, I agree the sunburst is gorgeous.

So, I guess I should hold out, save up, and get a piggy-bank labelled "jag or bust'. Looks like I'll be eating dollar store ramen noodles for a while, then. =P
thanks again, guys.
"Fascinating!"
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i ended up finding my on the used gear section of guitarcenter.com of all places. i placed a direct order over the phone with the manager of the store in Minnesota. it was packed professionally inside its brown case, in a bigger cardboard box.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

just type in jaguar in the search box and find jaguars all over the fuckin place. its great
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i just searched and found this fuckin thing!!! ive never even seen one like this. give them a call and ask if its the OG finish or if some fuckin guy painted it this color over the stock black.

Japan

used AVRI IBM for only 699. thats a fuckin deal.

Aux_Axe

Post by Aux_Axe »

jesus christ thank you. Hah
I probably wouldn't have found this on my own, to be honest.

Though, never seen one quite like that. :|
"Fascinating!"
Aux_Axe

Post by Aux_Axe »

Holy mother of [insert religious idol of some sort here].

Just checked out that link that robroe sent. I think I died and went to heaven about 20 times in a few seconds of browsing. Looks like I'm going to be going on a road trip to get myself quite a few new toys on there...
"Fascinating!"
Aux_Axe

Post by Aux_Axe »

Okay, I have my buddy in TX checking out a small list of them for me. Haha.

Once again, thanks a million.
"Fascinating!"
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I think I've played all the jags except the new squier. Oh shit, not the blacktop. Fail.

Classic Player Jag is awesome. I kind of wish I had held on to mine, and not bought the AVRI. Really, the only advantage, in my opinion, of the AVRI is lighter weight. The finish is also super thin and dentable. The CP has a hard ass finish.

I'm not into humbuckers, and If i have a jag, I'd rather it had a trem, so the squiers are out for me.

"Tradiitonal" Japanese jags, I wish I could get behind them, but they all feel kind of rattly and dangerous to me. Great necks, though. HORRIBLE pickups. Trem is suspect.

AVRIs are great damn guitars. I got an outrageous deal on mine, but like I said, I owuld have saved like $300 and a lot of trouble If I had kept my CP.

"Recent but not current" Jaguar HH: Really nice instruments! I bought two when they were super discounted at MF, and "sold" one to my brother in law and the other Shortscale gave to Dots. I play the BIL's every now and again. Still sounds good and feels good. The neck is a little thinner than most jags, I think, but the finish is TITS. The humbuckers also are fairly distinct and usable.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
benecol

Post by benecol »

robroe wrote:used AVRI IBM for only 699. thats a fuckin deal.

*Weeps bitter tears*

That's what mine was. Great price too - buy it!
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

benecol wrote:*Weeps bitter tears*
thought you didn't get on with it?
benecol

Post by benecol »

Au contraire, I fucking loved it, and it was the guitar I'd waited fifteen years to buy. But six months after buying it, my son was soon to be born and I bent my bike, so I sold it to fund a new bike and a cheaper guitar (Tokai SG).
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

*arsecake*

i've heard chuck collins harmonic percolators will make jazzmasters sound and feel exactly like IBM jags...
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

robroe wrote: used AVRI IBM for only 699. thats a fuckin deal.

I will buy that if someone shows me where it is.
[zune]tuffghost33[/zune]
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

robroe wrote:i ended up finding my on the used gear section of guitarcenter.com of all places. i placed a direct order over the phone with the manager of the store in Minnesota. it was packed professionally inside its brown case, in a bigger cardboard box.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

just type in jaguar in the search box and find jaguars all over the fuckin place. its great
+1. I also got my AVRI Jaguar this way. I called on a $700 Jaguar that turned out to be an AVRI. The New York Store must have thought it was a CIJ and priced it accordingly. Even came with the case, perfect setup and mustang bridge.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |