Choice between two amps

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

chrismakesgod

Choice between two amps

Post by chrismakesgod »

Basically, at the end of the month i'll be in a position to buy a new amp. However, i wasn't blessed with the gift of making choices.

So the contenders are the laney lionheart 4x10 number or a tiny terror head with an orange 2x12 cab. I'm going for a clean sound with little to no breakup as i will get all my dirt from pedals. This is why i was drawn to the 20w Laney.

But practicality is also an issue. I have no idea how difficult it would be to travel back and forth with a 4x10 combo so the thought of leaving a 2x12 cab at the practice space and just taking the head home is appealing.

To sum up, i need your opinions of the amps based on what i said as i like the sound from both of them and cant decide..
Berto

Post by Berto »

i have a 2x12 bass cab, so i know 2x12's are a bitch to transport, but it can be done! I would imagine a 4x10 would be even harder if the 2x12's speakers are aligned linearly and not diagonally like mine.
IroniaSudby wrote:I just 4chan'd a little.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Put simply, the Tiny Terror won't stay clean at gig volumes and, given it's 20w rating, neither may the Laney.

The Dual Terror offers a little more wattage (30w) which may help the clean headroom out a bit, but it's no Fender Twin.
George

Post by George »

Yeah I don't think you'll get good cleans out of those two. 40-50W mark would be a good a start (although my Sound City stays clean at 30W). You thought about a silverface Bassman head or other Fender or something? Fender Twin might break your back but is ultimate clean machine.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

dare i say... solid state?
NickS

Post by NickS »

stewart wrote:dare i say... solid state?
Certainly good for weight - HH IC100 is my backup amp.

If luggability is a consideration, have you considered a 2x10" or 1x12" combo?
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

stewart wrote:dare i say... solid state?
I hate how solid state is considered such a bad option.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

not for me love, i've got two of the buggers.
lorez

Post by lorez »

if you are talking about cleans what about a jazz chorus? There is a shop near me with the 60W version for £375 http://www.treblerock.com/amplifiers-a- ... fiers.html

I really like the lionheart amp but I don't think you will keep the clarity at gig levels. It looks very pretty as well.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

stewart wrote:not for me love, i've got two of the buggers.
good lad. reprezent.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

It's not so much that i don't want a solid state, but i've already had two solidstates and would like my first tube amp. I picked those two becaus the are available locally and i'm getting bro deals on them if i decide to get them. (300 for the laney and 350 for the orange half stack)

A fender twin is my ideal amp in this case, but it's not in my ideal price range.

That being said a hot rod deluxe is also available within driving distance. Will that keep up with a drummer?
George

Post by George »

I would say yes, unless he's the loudest drummer in the world. Blue Deluxes look cooler, mind.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

Try out a blackstar HT. Wish they had those around before i bought a blues jr years ago.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

Corax-rg wrote:That being said a hot rod deluxe is also available within driving distance. Will that keep up with a drummer?
definitely.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Corax-rg wrote:It's not so much that i don't want a solid state, but i've already had two solidstates and would like my first tube amp. I picked those two becaus the are available locally and i'm getting bro deals on them if i decide to get them. (300 for the laney and 350 for the orange half stack)

A fender twin is my ideal amp in this case, but it's not in my ideal price range.

That being said a hot rod deluxe is also available within driving distance. Will that keep up with a drummer?
this might be a bit obvious but if you are buying them off mates would it be possible for you to try them in a band situation? That way you would be able to see if they are suitable for what you need
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

lorez wrote:if you are talking about cleans what about a jazz chorus? There is a shop near me with the 60W version for £375 http://www.treblerock.com/amplifiers-a- ... fiers.html
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF do want :shock:
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Corax-rg wrote:
Maybe, but not clean.
And probably not with another guitarist and a bassist, if you rock like that.
Also, if you use pedals, they tend to sound like shit through the HRDLX.

Those Roland Jazz chorus amps are fuckin rad, though.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

Right, fuck it. I'm going to get the Laney 4x10 and see if it works in a band setting when i get a chance to practice in a few weeks, if it doesn't work i'll pap it off to a friend for the same price or something. Just out of curiosity, does anyone use a lionheart and does it take pedals well?

I'll keep an eye out for a jazz chorus locally though.

Thanks for your help.
DGW

Post by DGW »

[quote="Doog"]Put simply, the Tiny Terror won't stay clean at gig volumes and, given it's 20w rating, neither may the Laney.

You may want to look at a Bugera 55 or a Hotrod delille...
Durango Guitar Works 24" Short Scale Guitar
http://durangoguitarworks.com/
benecol

Post by benecol »

I love the look of those 4x10 Lionhearts. And clean is overrated...