Haze's apartment studio/BEAT LAB sessions

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Haze wrote:
aen wrote:MICS! Loev Mics.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=583081

this thing has blown my fucking mind. Works great on guitars and vocals. And it's just $100?!?!??!? I can't express how awesome I feel about this mic.
what kind of pre do you use with this mic? Ribbon mics typically need 60db of gain from what i've read and my behringer mixer does just that but i was thinking it would be noisy cranked like that.
Gee, what an oddly specific number! It's almost as if it's been mentioned elsewhere in the very same thread. :D

Gain is gain, but if the pres suck it'll obviously come through. I've used mine with an older Mackie mixer, a Digi 002 interface, a Neve 1073 clone into the 002, and a first-gen Focusrite Saffire -- all were very capable. If you're actually serious about wanting to purchase it, I can share a few simple mods I've done to vastly improve mine.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Don't worry, this thread will be chalke-full of redundancies.

My work carries that mic which means I can get it for cheeaaps. Its basically the cheapest ribbon mic around but I've liked all of the reviews and clips I have heard. thanks for the pro-tip on the pre brohan
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Haze wrote:For some unearthly reason, when I pan a line hard left it increases the volume, and hard right grounds it out [like a volume pot would work] Is this my shitty behringer mixer acting a damn fool or is that normal???
fuuuuck
Could be; or possibly something out of phase if you've got the guitar running through mulitple mics/channels.

As for sound treatment--what you need are materials that cover broad band frequencies better. You're right--foam is terrible, gets the high end stuff ok but is bad at lows and mids, just making things muddy. Owens-Corning 703 rigid fiberglass insulation is great stuff but tough to find outside of commercial insulation suppliers (I ordered some through Home Depot, but had to get a bunch to meet the minimum delivery requirement). Mineral wool/rockwool insulation is another alternative, though not as rigid. Still, you could get some burlap cloth and make a bunch of pillows, then strap then into the corners of your room (including ceiling/wall intersections) and get some good broad band absorption. You can cover things up with cloth frames as well to improve aesthetics if you want.
Haze

Post by Haze »

The guitar is running into two different amps, which are both close mic'd and ran to two different channels on my mixer. Bot full center works and sounds great but if I pan either channel l/r it changes their volume.

I am looking at mayb $300 tops on room treatment. $200 would be more comfortable. Framing the material with fabric is a kiler idea though, lady haze would love that lol. The main concern I have is high frequencies and echo. The echo is baaaaad so some well placed foam will help a bit. I don't want to kill the sound of the room because I do like that small room sound but the high end echo is killing me. Another thing is that the room buzzes at certain bass notes. Expected I guess but I hope bass traps in the corners help. Main focus is the wall across from my amp which I put a fouton, that helped. Also behind my desk where my monitors are facing, which has a batroom and closet door.
There's pics on the first page of the room, its maybe 10'x12' :-/
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Yeah, the buzzing you're hearing is standing waves that develop between parallel surfaces. You can break that up with sound treatments. One thing to consider is you can do things incrementally. Cutting off first-refelction points as you're doing for your amplifier will help. Keep adding things until you get the sound you want.
Haze

Post by Haze »

heres a sample of the sounds i'm getting. rough demo type thing i sent to my band peoples
http://soundcloud.com/mttrckmn/a-song-b ... definition
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I <3 Musicmaster (and Jaguar)!!! Very nice arrangement. I have a double stand like your Triple stand, but I dont use it since I have 5 hercules wall stands.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Haze

Post by Haze »

Cheap dry wall sucks. I hae another hanger but it strips out of the wall. The hercules one above the desk is awesome, no worries about my 20lb jag crashing through my glass stand!
24HRS2MDNT

Post by 24HRS2MDNT »

God damn it! Its a Zombie Apocalypse. Do I have a baseball bat nearby?
Haze

Post by Haze »

Your post. I do not understand.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Hey dude, I have a Vox Pathfinder 15R. In my experience the best way to improve the tone on these things is to plug in a 1x12" cabinet. The Blackheart one is nice and cheap and works well.

I use an e906, which is kind of a more upscale e609 and I can say it's well worth the price difference. If you want to hear how the combination of a 15R + Blackheart + e906 sounds, here's a vid:

Excuse the singing. I use an Epiphone 1x12" cabinet too but I rarely mic that one since I think the Blackheart sounds better mic'd. The Epiphone sounds better live, though.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Haze wrote: Image
zune sticker from lady haze's uncle that works for microsoft
What photo effects are you using on these images?
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Haze

Post by Haze »

honeyiscool wrote:Hey dude, I have a Vox Pathfinder 15R. In my experience the best way to improve the tone on these things is to plug in a 1x12" cabinet. The Blackheart one is nice and cheap and works well.

I use an e906, which is kind of a more upscale e609 and I can say it's well worth the price difference. If you want to hear how the combination of a 15R + Blackheart + e906 sounds, here's a vid:

Excuse the singing. I use an Epiphone 1x12" cabinet too but I rarely mic that one since I think the Blackheart sounds better mic'd. The Epiphone sounds better live, though.
It is usually plugged into one of my bassman cab's speakers. Imo the stock speaker sounds fine but I may try out a 10" some day. The led mod was the best thing I have done for this amp. I hear the e906 is awesome but at almost double the price I went with the e609. Thanks for sharing the vid, ill have a listen tomorrow morning!

Taylor - first off, holy moses please edit out the img tags so its just the links, icybomb quote is epic on my mobile.
Its an app called Vignette for the Android phones. Waaaaay more hipster cred than the hipstamatic app.
The effect on the lower ones is caled toy camera, don't remember the first set, was set on random
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Well, that's because e906 gets three different sounds, which makes it easily worth it. It has a high-cut setting that makes it sound like a 409 supposedly, a flat setting that is well, very flat, and supposedly sounds like the black 609, and a high-boost setting that sounds a lot like the silver 609, all of which are usable and ultimately have their own voice since the 906 is not any of those mics.

Three voicings in a guitar mic can really give you all the control you need. I like the high-boost setting for a nice modern sound that really leaps, a flat setting for general use, and the high-cut for more of a vintage sound. I set it on flat most of the time.
Haze

Post by Haze »

two extra settings is three too many for this guy.
Really dig the mustang tones. I haven't played one in years and have never owned one either... Probably about time!
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Of course! Everybody needs a Mustang.

I hope you like the 609. I love these mics. They're so easy to use and you can just drape them over the cabinet and hit record and they pretty much already sound good.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Haze wrote:two extra settings is three too many for this guy.
Really dig the mustang tones. I haven't played one in years and have never owned one either... Probably about time!
Or just get a Bronco and switch back and forth between it and the Music Master. :)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

24HRS2MDNT wrote:Image
pfthahahaa
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Haze wrote:two extra settings is three too many for this guy.
It might not be if you actually use an E609. They're pretty bright and exciteable. An acquired taste.
Haze

Post by Haze »

first go at recording bass through an amp
[youtube][/youtube]