Haze's apartment studio/BEAT LAB sessions

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Haze

Haze's apartment studio/BEAT LAB sessions

Post by Haze »

So currently I have this recording setup.

Guitar Gear:
Guitars, pedals, etc
Fender Bassman 50
Vox Pathfinder 15r [line/headphone/speaker outs]

Microphones:
Sennheiser e815s [dynamic]
cheap dynamic Radioshack mic w/ attached 1/4" cable.

Mixer/USB Interface:
Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer
Behringer UFO202 USB Interface
Behringer Bass DI Sansamp clone for Bass DI action

Recording Software:
Audacity

Computer:
Asus K52, 17" screen, 4gb ram, 640gb hdd, i5 processor

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD428s. Over-the-ear, Noise isolating.
Just got these tonight at work for $30 [discount :twisted: ] and am impressed. Didn't go for the ones with noise canceling because i frankly won't need them just for listening/mixing.

Whats next! I'm thinking recording software, then better mics, then monitors. I want to be able to actually mix different tracks and audacity isn't cutting it. The Sennheiser mic I have is a pretty good vocal mic but I would like a better mic for recording my amps/instruments.

Here is what I was thinking:
Microphone: Sennheiser e609 - I like them just as much as the sm57, but its square, I've always loved Sennheiser, they have a 10 year warranty, 40Hz - 18kHz vs 40Hz - 15kHz.
Monitors: M-Audio Studiophile AV40
Reviews are excellent and I don't need anything too big, 4" will be plenty I thinkm plus they will probably only be $70 maybe less with my discount.
Software: ???

What the fuck do I do for software? Almost clueless. Preferably something that I can get via Best Buy as I can use my discount which always helps a poor musician like myself.

here is the link for the monitors, does not like to be linked i guess

Code: Select all

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/M-Audio+-+Studiophile+4%22+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/8256503.p?id=1208561582512&skuId=8256503
Last edited by Haze on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

I think a new mic is a good choice; along with monitors. Not sure how happy you are with your Behri USB interface but that could be a spot to upgrade at some point as well. As far as software goes (and Sloan is a big propoent), Reaper seems like a decent choice and is affordable. Protools came out with version 9 which will work with any interface, but unless it's a crossgrade it's failry expensive. If you can get a deal on it through Best Buy it may be worth looking into. Cubase and Logic are other programs people seem to like ok.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

MICS! Loev Mics.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=583081

this thing has blown my fucking mind. Works great on guitars and vocals. And it's just $100?!?!??!? I can't express how awesome I feel about this mic.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Johno

Post by Johno »

Software Cockos REAPER

Takes seconds to download & free if your too tight to pay the $40
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

This thread reminds me I need to work on my video setup. I used the old iMovie HD but it's too old, so I might try to sync my flip Video with audio recorded in Garageband in the new iMovie 09. I tried to demo my MBM Saltbooster/Saltbreaker and the audio was lacking. I will let you know if it works.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Haze

Post by Haze »

Yeah I also need a decent pc based video editing so I can take my final audio for demos and sync it to video. Which remind me I want an hd camcorder and a nixed tripod. I can get a decent 60" tripod for 8 bucks.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

I use the Sony Vegas stuff for movie-makin' and you can import audio to it no problem. I made a movie on an old version of iMovie too and you do it as well. I'd have to think most movie programs accommodate that.
Haze

Post by Haze »

I think I may "obtain" pro tools or something. I know I can get a hold of vegas do I'll dl that tonight.

The e609 is $72.98, monitors are $112ish. Will probably pick up both of those tomorrow along with a smaller mic stand for micing amps and a mic cable or two.

Any suggestions on a usb interface?
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Seems there are a boatload of choices at this point and I don't have experience with any of the recent ones. I think there's another thread in this forum where people were throwing some things out. I'm not sure what your budget is for something like that; but you're laying out some dough at this point so you may just want to stick with the interface you have for now and upgrade later.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

mics will depend on what you record the most.
vocals/acoustic guitar/one mic drums - get a large diaphragm condensor

guitar cab - dynamic mic (audix i5/ shure sm57 or sennheiser 421 / sennheiser e609/e906)
- - - - out of the above, i prefer the sennheiser e609 for clean guitar sounds.

monitors will probably make the most difference in the quality of your recordings. save up a few hundred and get some decent ones, don't fuck with cheap shit.
i use krk rockit 5's but they are not very accurate (but cheap). a lot of people like the honesty of the yamaha hs80m or hs50m monitors. do some internetting.

When you feel you NEED more tracks, for recording drums or tracking a band live, then it's time to up your interface. if your just doing quick song demos track by track, no worries there.

ALWAYS BUY USED.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Thanks for the knowledge bomb sloans. I actually brought home a set of M-Audio Studiophile AV30s from my work. Was looking at the AV40 but its a bit overkill for desk use, the 30s are the same thing with a 3" speaker instead of 4 which means a slightly smaller footprint. Mainly the 30s were at my store and my store way across town carried the 40s. THEY SOUND GREAT! They need some breaking in for sure, but out of the box they sound immense. Playing my iPod through it and they sound awesome. Plenty of Bass. I find a lot of times a sub just makes things sound like ass.

Most of what I'll be recording will be clean/slightly dirty guitar and bass. Definitely picking up a e609 tomorrow and another stand/cable. I need to knowledge up on condenser mics.
aen posted a ribbon mic that looks killer for vocals.

I definitely want a condenser mic so I can record acoustics...
grandnoise

Post by grandnoise »

I've been using an Audio Technica AT2020 recently, great bang for the buck.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

aen wrote:MICS! Loev Mics.

this thing has blown my fucking mind. Works great on guitars and vocals. And it's just $100?!?!??!? I can't express how awesome I feel about this mic.
I can confirm the awesomeness of this microphone. I picked one up a few months back, and there was a $10 instant rebate at MF from October-something until the end of the year, making it an even more amazing deal. I've put it to great use on vocals, guitars, and distant room drums. Like most ribbons, it needs a bit more gain than most dynamics (~60dB), but that shouldn't be a problem with a proper interface or board.
Haze

Post by Haze »

did an e609, mini mic stand and extra cable today. Ended up being $92 after tax for all of it so i'm pretty happy with that.

I also did an demo of the Boss VE20 with my sister and lady haze lol
[youtube][/youtube]
ROBOT MODE!
Haze

Post by Haze »

Haze

Post by Haze »

rearranged the beat lab, needs sound treating baaaaad - REDIRECT THREAD TO SOUND TREATING!

zune sticker from lady haze's uncle that works for microsoft

We're finally happy with this room! Its the first time its actually been laid out since we moved in.

SOUND TREATING, GO!
George

Post by George »

Looks great dude. Excited to see how the sound treating turns out!
Haze

Post by Haze »

I've got to find some cheap foam and bass traps for my corners. Egg crate foam doesn't work worth a shit. 3-4 inches at least and maybe 5 for corners. It doesn't help much that my monitors are in a corner either but there isn't much I can do but maybe a foot or two. Its a small room that is basically a second bedroom for people crashing over... poptart likes to run around her chair though :D
Having the bathroom right there will be useful for placing condensor mics I'm thinking. The closet too... hmmmmm ambiece...
Haze

Post by Haze »

For some unearthly reason, when I pan a line hard left it increases the volume, and hard right grounds it out [like a volume pot would work] Is this my shitty behringer mixer acting a damn fool or is that normal???
fuuuuck
Haze

Post by Haze »

aen wrote:MICS! Loev Mics.

what kind of pre do you use with this mic? Ribbon mics typically need 60db of gain from what i've read and my behringer mixer does just that but i was thinking it would be noisy cranked like that.