Baritone JAZZMASTER FROM HECK

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

aen
Turdscreamer

Baritone JAZZMASTER FROM HECK

Post by aen »

Hooray!
So over the last year or so I've been trying to squirrell away enough cash to get one of those Warmoth baritone conversion necks. I sold the Thundercats, got paid in installments. Every time I got paid, POW little emergency pops up and I have to spend the "gear money" on boring shit. Then when I was raising funds for The Ronald Raygun LP pressing, turns out I raised an extra $350 or more! BANGIN!
So I went to the old Warmoth and used the "neck builder" app on the site. PItifully small amount of options, for a "custom" operation. Anyway, I don't especially care, cause I get along with most neck shapes, and the headstock was pretty close to what I actually wanted. I was even OK with the $140 to finish it properly, casue lord knows I can't do that for all the spice in china.
OK, cool, check out. Pay. Receive email.
WARMOTH ESTIMATES 12 WEEKS TO DELIVERY.
Seriously? That shit is machine made! It should be about one day for the machine to make the wood into a neck shape, one day to get fretted and what, 2 weeks for a glossy nitro finish?

It better be fucking perfect.
Last edited by aen on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Haze

Post by Haze »

I've wanted one of their baritone conversion necks for a while now. Heavy ass bass strings on a guitar only gets me half way there.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

this sounds like the same thing mike went through when he got the neck for his duo sonic from them. apparently if you order anything from them that's not for a strat they take half a billion years to get it to you.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

This thread is relevant to my interests: planning on doing the same to my Cooterfinger Mosritelectro (name needs work) - have looked at (admittedly unfinished) baritone necks - their in stock showcase seems cheaper, and will be quicker. I'm going to buy an Allparts one when I finally have the money, though.

Keep us posted, Aenstein.
ykyk69

Post by ykyk69 »

i ordered parts from warmoth a few months ago for my jag project and it took about 4 weeks for them to get it to me. yes the wait seemed unbearable and torturous but the quality of the wood and construction was worth the wait for me. but i didnt get anything finished. you could just order an unfinished one and go buy some tru oil for 4$ and finish it yourself in a week
ykyk69
lorez

Post by lorez »

sounds like an brilliant project aen. shame about the wait but it will be worth it
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Looking forward to the earth splitting beneath us with "do an thunderous DROP G Aen unstandard".

Eventually.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

G? Thats crazy!

Ha, no just kidding. But I think Ill stick with A.

HOw terrible of an idea would it be to drill a new pair of bridge holes on my Jaguar and set that up for 28and whateveroddfraction" scale?
Probbly pretty shit, but thats waht I think about while I work.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

ultratwin wrote:Looking forward to the earth splitting beneath us with "do an thunderous DROP G Aen unstandard".

Eventually.
The Deftones tune down to low F#.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Well, stephen carpenter has custom signature special super limited 8 string ESP things for that business.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

miss Chi. =[

my heart has just been down tuned by the mention of d-tones.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: Baritone conversion

Post by Doog »

aen wrote:I sold the Thundercats
:shock:
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

RObert OG would agree, that thing just never came together right. It was a good idea, but it just didn't work out. A freind of mine LOVED it though, so with Robert's blessing, it has moved ot the next chapter in it's bizarre mutant life.
desertan

Re: Baritone conversion

Post by desertan »

aen wrote:Hooray!
So over the last year or so I've been trying to squirrell away enough cash to get one of those Warmoth baritone conversion necks. I sold the Thundercats, got paid in installments. Every time I got paid, POW little emergency pops up and I have to spend the "gear money" on boring shit. Then when I was raising funds for The Ronald Raygun LP pressing, turns out I raised an extra $350 or more! BANGIN!
So I went to the old Warmoth and used the "neck builder" app on the site. PItifully small amount of options, for a "custom" operation. Anyway, I don't especially care, cause I get along with most neck shapes, and the headstock was pretty close to what I actually wanted. I was even OK with the $140 to finish it properly, casue lord knows I can't do that for all the spice in china.
OK, cool, check out. Pay. Receive email.
WARMOTH ESTIMATES 12 WEEKS TO DELIVERY.
Seriously? That shit is machine made! It should be about one day for the machine to make the wood into a neck shape, one day to get fretted and what, 2 weeks for a glossy nitro finish?

It better be fucking perfect.
It'll be nice...I've got several of their necks and bodies, and they build quality.

Most of the 12 weeks (I agree, !!) is spent in waiting for your order to get to the top of the pile.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Yar, Im pretty pumped. Have a lot of plans in my head, but Im hoping to put it on a nice big jazzmaster type body.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

This Bridge really is a shambling mess
Also forgot to order string trees.
Telescopic extra long neck diplodicus shot
Big Bitch Approved.

I actually stole my Jag's Neckplate/bolts, and Trem for this. I need to replace the bridge on here, probably with mustang saddles, or those adjustable Mustang saddles from graphtec. The grub screws on this blacktop bridge just roll out. POOP.

The action is a little funny, I think I'll probably get all my final parts on it and then take it to the shop to get set up. Dude does a pretty rad job.
I hope to record with the SOB tomorrow night!
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

looks chronic

aenstandard tuning? demo?!
Last edited by cobascis on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

HUGE

also, DOES NOT COMPUTE.
cobascis wrote:looks chronic
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Do yourself a favour and mod the bridge completely. Stick a Wilkinson roller bridge in there, all you need to do is widen the holes by a few millimetres to accept the mounting cups. It'll have sustain out the arse and it might stay in tune better once you start wobbling the trem all over the place.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

That looks awesome. Looking forward to an demo.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!