I hate guitar amps..... sorta

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

h8mtv

I hate guitar amps..... sorta

Post by h8mtv »

I have tried a thousand guitar amps and at the end of the day I always come back to bass amps. I use a Marshall 212 and an Ampeg Microbass head currently. I use stompboxes I for all my dirt and tones and I just feel like multiple channels and such are a waste when all I want is loud and clean. I have never heard an amp distortion I like as well as I like my home brew Big Muff variants. I own a few nice amps, including some nice tube heads but that little Ampeg makes my heart skip a beat.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Bassman head, loud and clean, then louder and not so clean in all the right places. Love mine through a 2x12. I do know what you mean about super loud super clean bass amps. Guitar through my acoustic b200 and a 15 is boomin.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I have a Randall 2x15 Warhead cab that is just doom, especially under my JCM900 cab. The only other amp I really use is my Epiphone Futura combo with a 15.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

My first guitar amp was my Twin, which I bought in 2005. Before that, I only had bass amps, and, yeah, I love the sound of guitar through a bass amp... it works incredibly well. I adore my Twin, but would never shy away from plugging in through a bass amp :P
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Justyn

Post by Justyn »

That sounds sick

Could you please demo your rig? :D
You're standing on my neck
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

This is why I'm half tempted to get to get a Flextone 212 after I get back from New Zealand. Loud and clean as anything, and even louder if I put it through my Marshall 412. There might be some other sounds in there that could be useful, too.

No mojos, though. Absolutely zero mojos in those things.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Haze wrote:Bassman head, loud and clean, then louder and not so clean in all the right places. Love mine through a 2x12.
+1
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

BacchusPaul wrote:This is why I'm half tempted to get to get a Flextone 212 after I get back from New Zealand. Loud and clean as anything, and even louder if I put it through my Marshall 412. There might be some other sounds in there that could be useful, too.

No mojos, though. Absolutely zero mojos in those things.
I seem to remember them having alright overdriven sounds and taking pedals well.

I'm loving my crate powerblock, can be super clean and take pedals beautifully. Really want to try one of those Harley Benton Sansamp clones through it.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I dont mind guitar amps, they just need the right cab. Witha closed back and a 15" speaker or two.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Here is a pic of my rig with just the 212. I keep the 215 cab at our practice space. I just carry the head, pedalboard, and guitar. I even keep a 1spot, speaker cable and power cord there so I only have to bring my head, board, and axe with 2 cords in the bag.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Here are my main 2 axes.

aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Shit, man, you and I are going to be friends, OK?
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Bitchin.
AaronGuitarDude

Post by AaronGuitarDude »

have you tried hiwatt custom 50? lotsa of clean headroom, or it's big bro custom 100. much bigger clean headroom :)
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

No I havent, but I am really soooo pleased with the little ampeg with its weight, size, wattage, and low price I am pretty content.

More pron, my pedalboard.

sholkham

Post by sholkham »

Is that a tascam 4-track I spy? I have the same one
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Good eye sir.
shae
teh koolsie

Post by shae »

Sweet gear bro. I'd suggest maybe looking at Mesa MK1 heads. They're sweet and pretty darn small! I just got a new 60watter, albeit the size of Tasmania and I'm stoked with it. I have a 6/12watt amp and the 60/40 now and between the two there are distinct differences. I prefer the sound of the 6/12 as it doesn't woof as much as the 60 at low volumes but when playing higher volumes I find it just doesn't have the headroom and farts out far more than the 60 watter. Which makes sense I guess to everyone but me ;/ ha.
daphne blew krew
Dannymec

Post by Dannymec »

Please demo? I was thinking about buying one of those Ampegs for bass, but I need a new guitar amp way more than I need new bass stuff. So if I can use this for both, I'd be very very happy.
Burn the South.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

A microbass demo with guitar would be good, i'm intrigued how something that small (and powerful) sounds. I see that the output is 4ohm, would it be safe to drive an 8ohm cab like my Bassman 50 is?