MXL R40

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

cobascis

MXL R40

Post by cobascis »

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=H69305

Got it the other day due to stuff I've heard about the R144 which is the same mix really, this one seems a bit upgraded, I heard a lot of good things about.

Here are some samples of its use as a room mic. We put it up in the middle of the room during band practice just to get feel for its use in that situation. Great for getting ideas down.

http://soundcloud.com/linckinator/newt

If you want to hear more from the mic, these 4 songs were all solely the R40:

http://soundcloud.com/linckinator/sets/ribbon-sesh/
Haze

Post by Haze »

DIGGING THE TUNES!! Also where was the mic placed in the room and what kind of volumes were going on? im guessing the vocals were through a PA?
I'm actually going to be micing our practice next sunday so I was wondering if just one room mic would suffice. Seeing as your recordings sound fine I'll definitely just try and swing a single mic.
Main idea was to mic the guitar amp, overhead the drums, and line in the vocals from the PA

Only thing your recording is missing is a bit of the kick and bass. Nice results on just the one mic! I've looked into cheap ribbons just to have one in the locker
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

It'd be hard tp tell you. but it was closer to bass and vocals than to guitar and drums. Vocals through the PA.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Sweet tunes! I picked one of these up from MF for $79 when it was the Stupid Deal of the Day on April 26. I thought it was odd that a brand new product was the Stupid Deal, but I absolutely love my R144 and figured I couldn't go wrong.

Unrelated: when did you guys make the executive decision to drop the extra 't' in Wolcot?
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

I picked it up on the SDOTD, too.

We took off the t a few months ago. Aesthetically, we like it better and also we'd like to be on iTunes under Wolcot, etc...

Getting the master back of our album next week, I'm very excited.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Ah, very cool. I am always reminded of the name because our modest farm studio / compound resides near the intersection of a road named Wolcott. I'll try and snap a photo next time I'm near, just for fun. I'd offer to swipe the sign, but it no longer fits the name anymore. :lol:

Keep us posted on the release!
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

avj wrote:Ah, very cool. I am always reminded of the name because our modest farm studio / compound resides near the intersection of a road named Wolcott. I'll try and snap a photo next time I'm near, just for fun. I'd offer to swipe the sign, but it no longer fits the name anymore. :lol:

Keep us posted on the release!
Haha, awesome! there is a town in Vermont I've driven through called Wolcott, and I saw a roadsign in NY with the same name. Seems to be pretty popular.