Studio Monitors

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

George

Studio Monitors

Post by George »

Sorry I keep spamming this sub-forum but I've been getting into recording quite a bit recently and it's got to the point now where I'm beginning to need speakers that are at least semi-designed for it. The crappy logitech Z4's I've got have no mids and are all round garbage, thought look pretty snazzy. I heard my friend's Rokit RP6's when he was mixing some stuff and they sounded amazing, so clear and articulate.

Therefore, what's a good set of entry level studio monitors? They don't have to be particularly loud or bassy, but a good natural sound for recording and not too expensive. I'll be buying used and have been looking at:

Rokit RP5s

M-Audio MV40s

Really I have my heart set on shelling out for RP5's but I've heard they're quite lacking in bass? All suggestions much appreciated.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I helped engineer a local bands ep, and the producer/engineer swore by these:

They're an almost exact copy of yamaha NS10s.

He used them in collaboration with some Genelecs, got a really nice mix.
George

Post by George »

Wow, they look pretty amazing for the price. Might have to get a pair. Thanks
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

George wrote:Wow, they look pretty amazing for the price. Might have to get a pair. Thanks
If you're still up in the air, I'll have a pair of those M-Audios on thursday and I'll let you know what I think.
George

Post by George »

That'd be great if you could, thanks.

Also, why do people keep saying you need two pairs of monitors. I saw reviews for the SN10's saying "obviously you need to use another pair", and mrperson's engineer friend also used a set of Genelecs with them. Why is that? Do I need to care?
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

I've heard the M-Audio ones that are pictured up there (can't remember the model name now, AV40s?). I do some work with a guy that uses them to mix and uses them to practice his DJing in the spare time when hes not recording.

They pack a wallop definitely, loud as hell - Stereo field is fairly broad so projection isn't an issue which makes them fairly easy to get positioned when your using them as near field monitors. As far as frequency response they're pretty flat across the board with a slight bump in the low mid end which isn't noticeable but does warm them up a bit, I tend to like that and as a pair of speakers I think they sound really good for the money. Cons are that the amp they use gets very hot which always worries me about the longevity of them and general build quality also, the blue light really pisses me off when you have them on stands at head height, so I tend to put a post it note on the volume knorb and status lights to filter out the light - my eyes get really fatigued quite quickly if I don't.

In that price range I'd suggest the Fostex PM-04's though:

They got really high ratings last year from loads of magazines and a good few industry rewards as memory serves. Build like a tank, same as KRK for build quality and have a separate amp for each speaker which is nice. There flatter in the frequency response but have a much nicer tweeter, makes guitar mixing just that little bit nicer IMO. It has bigger brothers if you looking for a bit more oomph and bass response but I really like these speakers. Make sure you get the MkII version - it's a lot better than the first version.

Other than that go for NS-10r's or clone of. They are the standard, everyone uses them and for good reason.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

George wrote:That'd be great if you could, thanks.

Also, why do people keep saying you need two pairs of monitors. I saw reviews for the SN10's saying "obviously you need to use another pair", and mrperson's engineer friend also used a set of Genelecs with them. Why is that? Do I need to care?
Oh, that's the near field, far field thing. All studios have them - I got taught about the reasons and benefits of the system but I can't remember much now - something to do with having the ability to accurately monitor in finer detail so that you don't over mix stuff like reverb and delay feedback lines and that it helps with fatigue due to broad sound pressure levels or something.

Basically, don't worry it's not that important unless you going to drop a huge bunch of money on space and equipment.
George

Post by George »

Ahh okay, just curious really. Those Fostex's look good, I think I might check them out as well but it's also unearthed another issue I'd not considered... poweramps. I guess I'd need one for the SN10s? Therefore I guess they're off the cards. Whatever I go for will have to be active for space/price etc.
Ian

Post by Ian »

edirol ma15d's

Trust me.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Ian wrote:edirol ma15d's

Trust me.
I had these and they're OK, nothing special, but they are very versatile in terms of connections.

Anyway, Yamaha NS10 style speakers are rarely used as the only monitors because they're more clinical than they are pleasing. So for mixing, they're the best monitors in the world, but many people do not like them during mastering.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
George

Post by George »

That's intersting because I was just looking at the Yamaha HS50M's. Supposedly just like the NS10's but active and cheaper.

I think I'd like a set monitors that are flat and unforgiving (which some of the suggestions here don't seem to be so much). If I want to hear music on my PC, iTunes has an equalizer anyway.

I guess ideally I'd like something that's flat enough to mix but "fun" enough to master and play tunes with. Hmmmmm....
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

George - quick question in your thread to the experts from a noob: why would one buy 'normal speakers' over studio monitor speakers? i.e if i wanted to have my PC as amy main music source and do a bit of recording as well, would I go for monitors or some decent hi fi speakers? What's the pros and cons?
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
George

Post by George »

I'll sum this up in my also nooby way: Hi-fi speakers despite sometimes being of lower cost and quality, are also designed with an inherent "smiley" EQ - accentuated bass and trebles to make music sound glisteny and poppy, pleasing to the ear and "fun" and not as detailed. This makes it harder for the would-be recorder to get an accurate natural mix because it'll sound good all too easy and the nasties are hidden. Studio monitors have a flat EQ across the board and more detailed so there's nowhere for ugliness to hide, and the more mid range the better for recording rock and guitars, gruff vocals etc (at least from my point of view). They also have better stereo imaging etc.

I mean, really I could probably get by with anything but it could sound shit on any other hi fi or music device. Getting the recording all squared up in it's most natural state seems to offer the best results.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

heres a photo of my tower of mono

http://twitpic.com/588kcu

special edition yellow / black rokit 6's from guitar center i got on clearance for 120 bucks each.

Doog is always picking on me about the way i have them set up but i don't give a shit. right now i have them set up on my bar downstairs hooked into a behringer mixer thats putting out my record player / stereo / cassete 4 track. for basement tunes. with the mixer they are only an input away from plugging in my tascam DR-07 to record down there with. really convient, sound really nice.

here is the musicians friend link but they have been sold out for over a year now.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... tId=609801

i would go with a 6 over a 5 if i were you but thats because i like the sound of 15"s over 12"s and 12"s over 10"s. bigger is better to my ears. push more air and such

now they come in shitty red

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... tId=502747
dots wrote:incesticide
George

Post by George »

God damn, if they were anywhere near $120 over here I'd leap at them. They are on the list but they have a high used price unfortunately. Will definitely consider them though.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

JBL control 1, I've used them for years:

XY
lorez

Post by lorez »

dezb1 wrote:JBL control 1, I've used them for years:

can be had for £50 at Richer Sounds as well - http://www.richersounds.com/product/boo ... ntrol1-sil
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

lorez wrote:
dezb1 wrote:JBL control 1, I've used them for years:

can be had for £50 at Richer Sounds as well - http://www.richersounds.com/product/boo ... ntrol1-sil
Okay I'm pretty much sold at that price - I'll be selling all my top end hi fi kit anyway so it's not like I won't recoup the cost. I've already got a sub woofer/speakers set for my PC and the speakers cable into the sub woofer unit which is presumably an amp too. It's old but plenty of belt - presumably i could just wire these into it the same? Anyone know any different? Don't want to shell out on another amp as well....
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I just bought those ^^^^

Got them brand new as they couldn't find the silver display stock. Wanted 59 for them but I told them I'd rung ahead to check they had them, then if you'll give me the new ones for 49 I'll take them. Salesman checks with the manager and says 'we'll meet you half way'. I say well no, my PC and monitor are silver which is why they were right for me, the new ones are in black so effectively I'll be paying more for less than what I came in for which was decent matching monitors. They agreed. Sound fine so far!
Al_

Post by Al_ »

I don't know that there's a whole lot of difference between models at that price point. If you can go someplace like GC and listen to a bunch of different ones side by side that can help narrow the field. But if you're just buying off recommendations it's a bit of a shot in the dark.

Once you get some though, spend some time learning how they sound and represent material in your listening space. Put on a bunch of CDs and other music you're familiar with to get a sense of how they sound on that; so you know what things should sound like when you're mixing your own stuff.