Pics of your studio setup

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

^Perfection!
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Ha. A little bit more impressive than my set up...
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Ian

Post by Ian »

The 15K (when it was new in the 80's) console I got for $300 on craigslist and everything worked :D

The tape machine was a couple hundred, it records four tracks in one direction. A lot of fun to send tracks out of protools onto the tape and back.

I got my big monitors for a $100, super flat and clear, I pretty much use any stereo receiver as my power amp, good nuf for me.

That mac pro isn't worth shit now. :(

The vocal booth is a walk in closet that I removed the shelves from and added a double layer of moving blankets.

All the money is in those damn pre's and microphones, some of which are useless until I can move into a place where live drums can happen. For now I have a second 16 ch recording setup and I do drums on location.
What do?
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

My friend has 3 like this in his studio and i'm not dare going to use any of them or it will be literally many years before i get anything usable. Cluster fuck if i try to track on here.

cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

I have had a tascam porta studio 4(or maybe 3) for about 10 years now, and its really one of the only things i still have. it works great for straight ahead rock stuff or my personal noise projects. 4 simultanous tracks recorded at the same time, but you can bounce them all and have 8 individual tracks, all oneto tape, type 2 high bias maxswells have been my standard for a long time, i used to just hang mics up around the basment and record every single practice, always ready to capture that one good sounding live track and put it onto cd, i did that for about 4 years. the last time i used it i recorded a few punk songs with my buddy, he would take up 3 tracks with drums, and i would use 1 for bass, we would record at the same time, mix it down and put it onto track 7 or 8, then go back and use two tracks for the guitars. and then use 2 more raw tracks for the vocals, mix it all together and put it into audacity on the computer and burn it onto cd, made the perfect punk rock recordings, that actualyl sounded half way decent.
I have always despised recording tho, and studios generally irritate me, i hate recording, im an odd one like that.
sorry, no pics.
Ian

Post by Ian »

brandonwinmill wrote:My friend has 3 like this in his studio and i'm not dare going to use any of them or it will be literally many years before i get anything usable. Cluster fuck if i try to track on here.

I've not recorded directly to tape, I've sent a few mixes into tape but I disliked the lack of clarity between instruments when all was said and done.

But the coolest way I've used tape is in POST to send final edited tracks into the tape machine and then back into pro tools in the original spot they were. The hiss isn't so bad and the compression and saggy sound is neat. With a demagnetizer you can use the tape over and over again. My next record I am going to send each track to tape and back into pro tools before I mix the song. It should sound pretty neato.
What do?
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Ian wrote:
brandonwinmill wrote:My friend has 3 like this in his studio and i'm not dare going to use any of them or it will be literally many years before i get anything usable. Cluster fuck if i try to track on here.

I've not recorded directly to tape, I've sent a few mixes into tape but I disliked the lack of clarity between instruments when all was said and done.

But the coolest way I've used tape is in POST to send final edited tracks into the tape machine and then back into pro tools in the original spot they were. The hiss isn't so bad and the compression and saggy sound is neat. With a demagnetizer you can use the tape over and over again. My next record I am going to send each track to tape and back into pro tools before I mix the song. It should sound pretty neato.
Very cool
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I was asked to go in and play on another artists record so i got to go to the big boy studio. It's unreal. I went in to hear the drum tracks and scratch vocals and rhythm guitar. I watched them lay the tracks down and got a chance to contribute some ideas and watch the magic happen. I had a blast!

serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

Ian wrote:Image

DAMN SON!
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

The studio i posted pics earlier had a vocal booth upstairs that looks down into the tracking room. I can't get over how nice it was. I think i'm going to work towards a nice studio. The thing that concerns me is wiring and then troubleshooting if something goes down. There were things lit up everywhere and wires and cables. It was neat and perfect but it must have taken an army to do it correctly. I was blown away by the number of knobs and sliders in the control room. It was hundreds and i couldn't help but wondering if i played with a few if anyone would notice. I probably shouldn't be left alone in there. ha