Chika-chicka-chika

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Chika-chicka-chika

Post by ultratwin »

While working on an album worth of tunes Cindi and I are tracking right now, I actually found a place for a tone I've always wanted to use: The chicka chicka chickas from Peter Shilling's Major Tom. I want it to be more percussive than tonal, and am having a hard time right now.

The closest I've been able to get is to set the VOX Tonelab for Blackface head into 1x12 cab mod, with moderate compression on the input signal plus a wobbly chorus effect, all into the SPL Channel1 with a tad more compression. Got the treble and presence(air band) knobs dimed and have rolled off enough mids and bass to keep the actual pitch but emphasize las chickas. Mid-gain settings seem to improve the upper frequency response, mid pickup position on Jazzmaster soundng better than the bridge position. The brief chords heard sound very much like a strat(mid position?) to my ears, but can't be sure.

Long story longer, I can't get that high pitched "click" like the original tune, just an annoying muted guitar sound with a squirt of chorus sauce. Anyone given this sound a stab before?

[youtube][/youtube]
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

errr..... slow phaser? recorded direct?

the more I listen to it though, I don't think it is actually that complicated. I think it's hard to say what guitar it is (probably bridge pickup though), but I think it is being played through a more midrangey amp. so... probably not a fender twin.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

I'd say it's some kind of overdrive with tone knob set to treble, then into an almost dry flanger.
i like chocolate, i like fudge
if i can't make any, i won't budge
Ian

Post by Ian »

wah pedal engaged
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

blacktaxi wrote:I'd say it's some kind of overdrive with tone knob set to treble, then into an almost dry flanger.
yeah, whether or not if this is how the guy is doing it in the song, this is how I would do it if I were going to record a song like this.

the guy who played guitar on this track was a guy named Armin Sabol. It's hard to know what gear he would have been using at the time but reading about him he seems like a real metal dude and seems to favor gibsons. he has a studio here: http://www.shivasound.de/
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

After a number of attempts, I actually sounded the best picking the bass line in 8th notes to maintain a tone line, getting sufficient chickas playing while muting the Jazzo about 1.5" from the bridge with a brightly filtered/OD'd/chorused setting. Then I chopped about 1/3 off of the tail of each soundbite, and looped 2 measures' worth. May not post results until the whole thing is done, but I'm fairly satisfied with the effect.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I want to say this involves a single coil guitar, maybe a strat in one of the inbetween pickup modes.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Sloan wrote:I want to say this involves a single coil guitar, maybe a strat in one of the inbetween pickup modes.
I would definitely start there, bridge+middle position. That'll give you heaps more click immediately.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

this sounds like a engaged wah pedal to me too.