Squier Jaguar HEAVY mods (demo page 2)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

rodvonbon

Squier Jaguar HEAVY mods (demo page 2)

Post by rodvonbon »

It's been a while since I posted anything around here, so I figured I'd get on the ball and post some shit.
I bought this guitar a week ago with every intention of doing the whole Local H thing to it. On this guitar, I wanted the bass pickup to capture only the EA&D strings.
The plan wasn't to go too crazy with it, then in the end it's turned out to be way better than I expected.
Maybe I should start at the beginning though.
I stopped into Guitar Center to check out what cheap guitars they had to use as the base for the project and came across the Squirer Jag. I've never bought a Squier before, but as soon as I played it I was kind of smitten. The bridge on it is a total piece of shit, the rest of the build on the other hand seemed pretty descent and I may be crazy, but I love the bridge pickup in it. After goofing around with it for a few minutes at the guitar shop I bought it along with a Boss Super Octave pedal.
When I got it home I played it through my JCM 800 and confirmed that I do indeed love the sound of the bridge pickup and the neck felt pretty good too. Also the bridge was still a piece of shit. After about 20 minutes of dicking around I tore it apart and was surprised to see that it was routed like an HH Jag (mostly).
I had an Mustang bridge with the tremolo laying around and I've always wanted a Jag with one on it, so the first order of business was to figure out how to get it on there. The post spacing doesn't match up from the stock to the Mustang, so out of laziness I filled the post holes with 2 part epoxy and redrilled for the new bridge thimbles. When it came to routing the trem, I have limited tools for doing any kind of wood working, but do have a rotozip and a dremel tool. I hacked the shit out of this thing with the rotozip and tried unsuccessfully to clean it up with the dremel. It all works fine although under the trem plate is a big mess.
Next was to figure out the placement of the bass pickup. Again I used the rotozip to cut away some wood around the neck pickup hole. With a piece of scrap pickguard material I could mount a 2 pole Mustang Bass pickup to it and move it around until I found the sweet spot. I taped the scrap piece to the original pickguard, so I knew where to cut it. Using a square piece of tort pickguard I made a piece to permanently mount the pickup to and cut the original guard to fit it.
Now it was time to wire it up and this is where I ran into problems. The goal was to use a stereo ring/tip/sleeve jack for the output and use a stereo cable to a splitter box to go to the amps. The guitar would be on the tip, bass on the ring and they would share a common ground on the sleeve. It seemed so simple and I ran the pickup wires to the stock switch after separating the solder points on it and metered it out to make sure it would send two seperate sets of signals from it and it did. From the switch they went to the stock volume/tone pots, then out to the jack. It was all working pretty good for the most part, but there was some kind of signal bleed going on. It was kind of faint, but the bass pickup was coming through the guitar amp and vice versa on the other side. It was enough to color the sound and there was a shit ton of noise. I must have pulled it apart a dozen times to check what was going on and that meant pulling the strings and the entire pickguard off every time. Finally I said piss on it and did more cutting to the guard so I could mount Jag plates, thus not having to restring it every time.
As it sits right now I'm using 2 outputs for it. The guitar is on the Jag plate and the bass is the Strat jack. The upper control is volume/tone with an on/off switch for the bass and its not connected in any way to the guitar circuit (not even ground). I figured it would buzz like a motherfucker, but I'll be damned if it isn't totally quiet. The guitar controls are a little more involved. It's got a new stacked pot for volume/tone because I wanted the Jazz Bass knobs and I burned out both of the ones that came with it from running my soldering iron too hot. next to it is a mini pot for spin-a-splitting. I used a mini so it would fit in the cavity without having to do any more cutting. The three switches are - pickup on/off - Series humbucker/split coil and the last switch turns the spin-a-split on/off.

It sounds fucking glorious and I can't get over how much I like playing it. I still want to figure out how to run it with a single cable out and the plan is going to be keeping the guitar jack on the Jag plate so I can use it as a regular guitar, then making the Strat jack a multi output by using maybe a midi cable to keep the signals separated. Dunno yet.

The whole thing took me about a week to do and it was a fun and frustrating project in which I learned a few things: I'm not good at wood working at all, cutting pickguards with a dremel sucks balls (totally fucked up the switch plate hole) and even if I hadn't bought this guitar specifically to butcher, I have a new appreciation for the Squire stuff. Everything on it that was stock was pretty good quality (with the exception of the bridge).

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by rodvonbon on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Love it. Surprisingly the Mustang bridge really works and the Strat jack doesn't look half as bad any more.
The neck pup looks awesome too, bet it sounds great.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

That's amazing !! Well Done !

It's spelt 'Squier' though :D
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

othomas2 wrote:That's amazing !! Well Done !

It's spelt 'Squier' though :D
Ha, thanks! I'll fix it :oops:
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

That is a gorgeous axe.
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

That looks awesome, really well done. Dunno what it looks like underneath but outside it's totally pro.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

Love it. Too cool.
I have the same guitar, but stock. I want to switch the bridge out, but the guitar sounds so good stock that I don't want to mess with it. Mine sustains forever.
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

it looks glorious...born to be down if u will :wink: ...... and just for FYI the bridge pick up in that geet is a Korean made Duncan JB trembucker... the neck one is the Jazz
lorez wrote: I'm a fuzz lover so my clean is another man's crunch ;)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Sweetness, you gotta do an demo!
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

amazing. you should send those pics to squier and say "this is what the squier jag should have been like". doubt they'd go for it, but still...
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

bonertown.
Wild spirit of the Eagle, Black hawk, bird of prey design
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Wow that looks awesome! Great job dude!
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

holycrapicantwaittoplaythis
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

love it. :twisted:
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I don't understand any of that but I think it's utterly wrong that there isn't one of those available for sale. That is sick, sick, sick. I like the red too.
Yell Like Hell
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

I really didn't have the intention of putting all the Jaguar plates on it and kind of liked the simple look with out it all. Before I cut the guard to pieces I traced it and am thinking about getting a new one made for it. Kind of in a Jazzmaster style with the upper controls. For sure I want to get a new one made for the current setup though, too. Mint or parchment should look pretty good.
I'll try to do an demo next week when hotrod is in town (need someone to move the camera around to get the full effect).
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

Oh yeah, thanks for all the kind responses =}
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

rodvonbon wrote:I'll try to do an demo next week when hotrod is in town (need someone to move the camera around to get the full effect).
i'm down like a clown charlie brown.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
rodvonbon wrote:I'll try to do an demo next week when hotrod is in town (need someone to move the camera around to get the full effect).
i'm down like a clown charlie brown.
make sure u get a clear picture and have none of that operator error :wink: lol

I will be waiting impatiently for thiz demo 8)
lorez wrote: I'm a fuzz lover so my clean is another man's crunch ;)
BillClay

Re: Squier Jaguar HEAVY mods

Post by BillClay »

rodvonbon wrote: Image
dude your shit is so fuckin' hawt!!!!!!!!! I love the way it turned out, looks pro to me, took me a few min to realize you'd made a tort trap door for the bass pickup. Also I fucking love mismatched painted headstocks and I think your jag may be the best example over!