Guitars with neat sounds, not Start/LP/Tele-ish?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Medicine Melancholy

Guitars with neat sounds, not Start/LP/Tele-ish?

Post by Medicine Melancholy »

Leaning towards a Jag at the moment, but before that I was pretty big into the Jazzmaster thing. Gravitated back towards the Jag as it's probably more suitable for what I do, I mostly do electronic stuff but I'm adding in some manic post punky type riffage, the nastier sound of a Jag goes well with some of my synth sounds too.

I'm open to other possibilities though. Getting a decent Jag is still expensive and the sound is still a variation on the Strat, plus I have a friend with one that'll let me play it now and again. Danelectros might not be a bad idea. Considering a Baritone too. I'll be doing some heavier industrial type shit as well, so I need it to be fairly versatile, which probably rules the Danos out. Trem is necessary.

Been quite fond of the Parker P series, but I'd need new pickups as they're either regular HH or Fat Strat configuration. If I could find some good pickups to put in.

Of course, I'm also considering getting the Jaguar HH, which would also be a good candidate for "interesting" pickups especially with the coil split, but I don't know many interesting

My current guitars are a GFS Tele copy(which sounds pretty neat to be honest, but noisy as all hell and quite a flat neck for a Tele, probably send it back if I get a Jag) and a First Act Sheena, which has some fairly decent Alnico V PAFy humbuckers in it, nice Jangle from them. Guitar doesn't hold tuning well for a hardtail though, it's not the most reliable thing. Basically looking to get an interesting sounding guitar, with a trem, that doesn't crap out on me, orientated towards a post punk & glassy shoegaze type sound but also capable of nasty industrial stuff.
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

Sounds like you want a versatile guitar but are ruling out purchasing guitars that have been around for ages due to their versatility. In the end though I think what your processing your signal with will probably play more of a role in the tone that you seek.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

The Dano is'nt a bad idea at all if you can live without the trem, Lipstick pickups can sound very abrasive and nasty with the right dirt pedal. Plus, these days with FX Processors you can get an Industrial sound with just about anything.

Another option could be something with P90s, like a Hagstrom F200 or an Aria Diamond.

Jaguars are great but much more money and arguably a variation on the Strat.
Medicine Melancholy

chemistforhire wrote:Sounds like you want a versatile guitar but are ruling out purchasing guitars that have been around for ages due to their versatility. In the end though I think what your processing your signal with will probably play more of a role in the tone that you seek.
Maybe, but I find it's good to start with a good clean tone as a lot of the time I'm leaning towards pitch or delay based effects which work with the original tone rather than alter it.

Would the HH CP Jag be a better idea maybe? Coil splitting isn't meant to sound as "good", but it might sound different enough to be worthwhile.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Medicine Melancholy wrote:Would the HH CP Jag be a better idea maybe? Coil splitting isn't meant to sound as "good", but it might sound different enough to be worthwhile.
People will disagree with me here but the CP HH does'nt inherit too much of the original Jaguar sound. If you are going to get a Jaguar get the traditional model.
Medicine Melancholy

Yeah, but does that make it sound even more different? Since Jags are pretty similar to Strats.

I'm a bit worried about the "regular" CP Jag due to the updated bridge and Trem. I'm not a fan of the shaky bridge and lack of sustain on he old style jags though, and I'm pretty sure the CPs are very slightly lighter than the *IJs. Though the updated/hotter pickups might make it sound more unique in of itself.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

The Pawn Shop Mustang Special had some neat sounds when I played it. It is really tiny though, I felt like I was playing a heavy metal ukelele.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Medicine Melancholy wrote:Yeah, but does that make it sound even more different? Since Jags are pretty similar to Strats.

I'm a bit worried about the "regular" CP Jag due to the updated bridge and Trem. I'm not a fan of the shaky bridge and lack of sustain on he old style jags though, and I'm pretty sure the CPs are very slightly lighter than the *IJs. Though the updated/hotter pickups might make it sound more unique in of itself.
The HH models dont have any trademark sound in my opinion, they sound like most other bolt-on HH Fender guitars.
I was thinking of the CIJ models. The bridge/trem and lack of sustain are big contributors that separate the Jag from the Strat.

Can you try some out at a store?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

vintage Hagstrom?
Medicine Melancholy

StevePirates wrote:The Pawn Shop Mustang Special had some neat sounds when I played it. It is really tiny though, I felt like I was playing a heavy metal ukelele.
Yeah, it's a shame. It's quite a cool guitar. If it was bigger and had the Trem I totally would consider it.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Get a VOX It's what's happening comrade!

[youtube][/youtube]

Medicine Melancholy

Interesting! Aren't those heavy though?
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Burns Cobra

Hofner Colorama

Both classy, sub-£200 unique guitars.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

light, lotsa sounds, can be used in metal, isn't a strat or gibson, stays in tune,not a HH or Fat Strat configuration...

plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Would not recommend a Vox for what you want it for...if you use any sort of noisy fuzz/distortion the pickups squeal for days, and not in the pleasant way.
Medicine Melancholy

gaybear wrote:light, lotsa sounds, can be used in metal, isn't a strat or gibson, stays in tune,not a HH or Fat Strat configuration...

I had a Microkorg. I sold it and got a Microkorg XL, since every guitarist and hipster has a Microkorg. The XL is much better. I feel original again.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Medicine Melancholy wrote:I had a Microkorg. I sold it and got a Microkorg XL, since every guitarist and hipster has a Microkorg. The XL is much better. I feel original again.
I had a Microkorg, sold it and bought an old Yamaha MIDI keyboard. Surely that's more hipster?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:Burns Cobra.
I'll second this one; the tri-sonic pickups have a sound of thier own and it has a trem that works (as long as you don't divebomb it all the way) and they look the part...
XY
Medicine Melancholy

Cobras not too bad looking, but a bit on the heavy side. The CP Offests(8lbs average) are as heavy as I'm willing to go. My Tele is about 9 and it can be awkward.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Medicine Melancholy wrote:Cobras not too bad looking, but a bit on the heavy side. The CP Offests(8lbs average) are as heavy as I'm willing to go. My Tele is about 9 and it can be awkward.
I've never got this whole weight issue; both my Tele's weigh more than my cobra but it's much of a muchness. They're all worth a little weight lifting...
XY