Advice for buying drums for my daughter

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Advice for buying drums for my daughter

Post by taylornutt »

I am a complete noob when it comes to drums and drum kits. My youngest daughter really wants me to buy her some drums. I thought I would buy her a cheap drum kit made for smaller kids.

Any suggestions?
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

If she's serious about drumming, spend a little extra on a full size kit. Like a good starter guitar, if it's a quality piece she'll be able to continue to use it once she moves on past the "beginner" phase. PDP, Sound percussion, and Ddrum make decent starter kits, all around $300 US.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I believe they make them in different sizes depending on age and how big your kid is. How old is she? The youngest drummer in any of the rock bands I've taught for my company was 9 and he handled a full sized kit perfectly fine. He was pretty small too, I thought he was younger than 9. I'd recommend going to guitar center and seeing what she can handle there. I'm pretty sure they usually have kid's size sets if you want to have her try one out, or if she's old/big enough to handle a regular size kit, see if she feels comfortable on one.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

I'd recommend a full size kit. They are easier to sell if this turns out to be a passing phase, and you won't need to buy a new set once she outgrows them if this turns out to not be a passing phase.

My first kit was a set of Yamaha Stage Customs, and they make a really good kit for beginners.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

My daughter is only 4 years old so I think I will have to get the small kit.

I saw this one at Guitar Center and it seemed a good size.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PDP-Player- ... 1484193.gc

I might check on CL as well.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Yeah, at 4 years old, you want a kids' kit for sure.
Haze

Post by Haze »

We sell those PDP kits at best buy, the hardware on the kit is cheap! Wouldn't recommend it normally but for a 4 year old to learn on I imagine it will do alright. Check CL to see if you can find a used full sized kit for the same price or cheaper though, wouldn't hurt looking.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

The little Pearl Rhythm Traveler kits would probably work in this application.
It's a perfect compromise between a real deal kit that could be resold fairly easily seeing as it is a legit kit that could appeal to an adult that has space or transportation concerns but it can be set up in a way that is comfortable for a child to play. They don't sound half bad, either.

Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
paul_

Post by paul_ »

laterallateral wrote:The little Pearl Rhythm Traveler kits would probably work in this application.
+1

They sound great, not too loud, not too big, silent practice solutions provided.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

You could always get a little jazz kit, as they're a bit smaller, but still full size.

I think for beginers, it's easier to get away with cheap drums, but invest a little more in decent cymbals. With a good head, a cheap shell will sound fine or even good, but crappy cymbals are just frustrating as all get out.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I found this set that was $150 yesterday and is now $100. I called on it but someone is on their way to look at it. I will know in an hour whether or not it's gone.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/2492922009.html
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I barely missed that drum set so I will continue looking.