your grinning moments

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Progrockabuse

your grinning moments

Post by Progrockabuse »

we've all had them, that time you stumble on something out of the blue or pre mediated and it's that good you can't help giving off that "this is fucking great" grin face.

mine has been a stumbling moment where i just stuck my tele into the Dual terror and flicked to the tiny terror channel. tone at 10 o clock and gain at 12 ish. neck and bridge and strike a chord. it sounds fucking brill, the perfect rhythm tone. turned it up well loud and jammed out some stones. tumbling dice!

whats grinning you?

a little lighter thread to distract from those louts in the news.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I used to have a really shit amp that I think was transistor, no badge or anything. I hated it. But it was loud. I had no pedals at all for years, then my girlfriend at the time bought me the Dano Molten Metal pack on sale for something like £25. It had a chorus, heavy metal distortion, tuner and this little mini-amp pedal. At first I just messed around with the chorus and metal distortion. One day I tried my Danelectro U2 through the mini-amp into my amp. And it sounded brilliant. That was my sound for years, just that. I got so used to it that almost nothing else has ever really measured up to it. In my head it's become like the perfect sound, and everything else has fallen short. It probably sounded like shit, but at the time it sounded perfect. One day, the amp just stopped working and that was it.

I recently tried the Dano mini-amp into my Classic 30 and it sounded like shit. Shame.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Two things in recent memory...it has been quite a while since I plugged into anything other than straight into my Rockerverb so I am definitely in that guitar -> amp stage at the minute. Anyway:
1) Strat -> Orange RV50 (call it the euan set up if you will) and I cannot help but grin. Neck and Neck/Middle on the clean channel is just glorious and Bridge on the dirty makes me very happy.
2) Prior to that Jag -> Formula No.5 -> Bassman. Yes.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

The one I remember in recent times:

Fender American Special Tele into a Cool Cat Drive V2 into an cleanish Orange Rockerverb 50 combo... god it was sublime & articulate... and lovely and everything.

I've always been keen to try that setup again...& when I get the chance I will !!

Somehow though, you can repeat a setup and it's totally different or not live up to expectation.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

woah, another Fender > RV50 reference. Good taste Thom Good taste.

Shame I don't own that setup though. :lol:
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

fender and orange just work fucking great
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

othomas2 wrote:woah, another Fender > RV50 reference. Good taste Thom Good taste.
:D It's a beauty
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Oh, my Alden. I'd never really owned a Gibson-type guitar with humbuckers, but when I plugged it in I was pretty impressed. It could just be that they're really, really good pickups, but that's probably one of my best-sounding guitars.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

The first time I cranked up JJ Electra > Vox AC30. Sounded awesome, can't wait to revalve that amp so it sounds like it should.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I too have had some Fender>Orange moments lately.
In the past the Gibson LP Junior>Marshall JCM was simply perfection. Had similar JCM joy with the Yamaha SG and Flying V as well.

Love pedals but when you find that winning combination of guitar>amp it is something special, and if you own them.. hang on to them!
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Pretty much everytime I played the bassman I sold Thom. It's an unbelievably good amp. Paired with an OCD with a boost before it and it's magic.
Shabba.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

A couple come to mind.
I guess one would be the first time I plugged my blue mustang into a JCM800. No explanation needed.
Another is more recent, It was the first time I sat down and played the squier jag after all the mods and issues were worked out. It was a little challenging at first, trying to figure out what the hell to do with it, but after a half hour or so it was almost euphoric how lush it sounded. Now every time I pick it up I can knock out a new song idea in a different playing style than I'm used to.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

sloan playing a danelectro barotone thru a vintage bassman turned up as loud as would go inside the sound proof room and being able to hear it in every corner of the Buffalo Guitar Center.

it sounded SO FUCKING GOOD
dots wrote:incesticide
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

When I was going through guitars in my house and plugged my Mustang into my Yamaha amp. I dialed it in and started thinking "Man, this sounds really great." Then I plugged my old Dano into the same amp, same settings, and was reminded "Oh yeah, this is why it's the only electric I play."
Haze

Post by Haze »

Anytime I loop in stereo, instant grin. Especially lately with the m13 having 4 or 5 reverbs/delays n___n
I also got a kick out of recording our ep, my base sound was the bassman being boosted and turned up a bit, then switching pickups for the thickest clean with neck/bridge and full rock on the bridge pickup. Used the p-rail/jag for heavier songs too.
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

I especially remember re-creating "That Mudhoney Sound" once..using
My 100w all valve head, and 200w cab..I dialed my BigMuff pi in and using
My duosonic managed to Mark-Arm-The-Fuck-outta my amp for a couple of hours!
To be honest I didn't wanna put the Duo down in case I lost that grungey mojo!!!
Musta gone thru my whole back catalogue before my ringing ears forced me to stop!

And as "Sods Law" always rears it's ugly head, I've gotten close but no cigarillo to
Getting superfuzzbigmuffed off it!!
Bootiful...
Grin?...my fookin face still hurts!!!
lorez

Post by lorez »

my current grinning moments is amp on crunchy setting and then hitting it with the formula number 5. sounds devine
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
George

Post by George »

BOSS OS2

Well, it did make me smile when I plugged one in again. Also...

Tele bridge with low tone -> Cool Cat Drive v1 -> MBM Fender Blender -> Sound City SC30

Very fun for glitchy synth stuff
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

90s Encore P-Bass (with Dimarzio Split P) - MBM 4 knob Machine clone - Hartke LH500 - 4x12.

THE BEST DIRTY BUT CLEAR BASS SOUND EVER. SO CUTTING.
Chorlton

Post by Chorlton »

When I was 16, Id only ever played classical guitar but I was given an electric. I had no amp but plugged it into my ultra cheap stereo and what came out was a super tinny, distorted noise. I thought that was how an electric guitar should sound. I was right. Aces.