bass recommendations?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

sonicboom

bass recommendations?

Post by sonicboom »

I'm looking for a bass to replace my (not very good) Squier P-Bass for home recording. Having just invested in the awesome CV Custom Tele (see other thread) I'm definitely considering another Squier - looking at the VM Jaguar Bass Special, which looks like it should cover Precision AND Jazz tone territories.
These are going for £200 locally, plus you get a £25 rebate, so it looks like good value.
Otherwise I'd be heading for a Jazz.
Any opinions from you folks?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

classic vibe jazz or precision, hands down. they cheerfully urinate on the VM series.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

I hear you. The Jazz would be it, for me.
What's the difference? Tone(s), play, build etc?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

It'd be the VM 70's type job for me, with the blocked maple fingerboard.
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

Gibson EB something. Like an EB3 or an EB4L

SG reissue bass

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/2 ... eissue.php
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

sonicboom wrote:I hear you. The Jazz would be it, for me.
What's the difference? Tone(s), play, build etc?
for me it's build quality, the fit and finish is easily worth the extra £50. i opted for the precision, but gavin has the jazz and (don't let him hear me say this) it's a tiny bit nicer. i A/B'd the VM and CV precisions in the shop when i bought mine, and although i was initially set on the VM, it just felt kind of cheap. actually, that's not fair, it felt exactly like a £200 bass but the CV felt like a £400 one.

i really wanted to try the one paul mentioned but couldn't find one at the time.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

You can also get a MIJ Squier for a little more than that. £250 is probably enough to get one but they vary in price by quite a bit so it's anywhere from £220-280.
Shabba.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

oh yeah, forgot about those silver series ones. yours is amazing.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

Yeah, I'm just trying to understand the difference before I go and try some. I'm leaning towards a Jazz, but don't want to rule the Jaggy bass out at this point, given the potential bang per buck so it's back to my original question, really - has anybody good or otherwise opinions on the Jaguar bass?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Completed ebay listing

Bit of a trek but you could send a message to him with an offer if you were willing to go and get it. He'd probably save about 10% by selling it outside of ebay so £240 sounds fair though of course factor in petrol to that on your end to consider how good of a deal it is. I don't know how the serial numbers work but I think it's much more likely to be '88 than 'early to mid eighties'.
Shabba.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I love my CV P bass. Feels like an instrument that cost twice as much as it did, only change I had to make was swapping out the ugly tort guard.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

If you're going for a p bass I would shell out for the CV. If you're going for a a jazz I'd go for the VM 70's model. It sounds odd, but I've played a bunch of different CV jazzes and haven't been impressed with the sound of them, just kind of thin compared to the VM's. I don't know what it is, because they feel amazing as all the CV basses do, but for some reason they just don't compare to the sound of the VM jazz.
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

sonicboom wrote:has anybody good or otherwise opinions on the Jaguar bass?
I was really interested in the Jaguar bass around april of this year. I played a few of them and something about them seemed off. I think it was the frets not being entirely filed down. I actually went with a Schecter P bass, but it was a bit more expensive.

To put it another way, and give yet another vote for a CV, the Jaguar bass (the one with the stacked vol/tone knobs) played well but didn't feel perfect. CV P bass felt perfect.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

An old MIA Peavey Foundation or Fury. You can find them around here for under $200 pretty regularly and they're quite good.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

You'll be lucky to find one in the UK.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Most of the squier's with jazz pickups sound pretty shitty. The Jag sounded shitty too, so if that's what's on all the cv's and vm's I'd swap em unless you want to sound like Les Claypool or that shitstain from Korn. Ultra treble-y with no definition or presence. That's my take on the pickups not the build quality.

On the other hand, there's never been a bad sounding p-bass pickup. they just can't fuck those up somehow.
Rox

Post by Rox »

A good used bass ? Cheap ?? I'd say an Epi Thunderbird . Or just about any Ibanez SR or BTB.. But I'm not sure how much they'd cost over there ...
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

BillClay wrote:Most of the squier's with jazz pickups sound pretty shitty. The Jag sounded shitty too, so if that's what's on all the cv's and vm's I'd swap em unless you want to sound like Les Claypool or that shitstain from Korn. Ultra treble-y with no definition or presence. That's my take on the pickups not the build quality.

On the other hand, there's never been a bad sounding p-bass pickup. they just can't fuck those up somehow.
I thought the pickups in the Squier Jaco-a-like were pretty good, to be honest. I think they might be Duncan Designed, I can't remember.
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

Rox wrote:A good used bass ? Cheap ?? I'd say an Epi Thunderbird . Or just about any Ibanez SR or BTB.. But I'm not sure how much they'd cost over there ...
Yeah the Epiphone Thunderbird Pros have a 7 piece body through-neck

http://www.epiphone.com/News-Features/N ... asses.aspx
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.