SuperSonic II (SonicStang?) COMPLETE

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Man, I am losing my mind about the color. I have the body now all sealed, sanded, and primed. I'm dragging my feet so hard on the color, I'm just really meh about both colors of blue. Mixing the two didn't really turn out as I'd hoped, the lighter color just covers the darker without much difference. I do almost like the medium blue as it's pretty exact unfaded LPB, didn't realize the Cobain Mustang is also that color so I'm really iffy about that color now.

I'm now considering just doing white to go with the white pickguard. Or black. I already have a white guitar (Omar) and a black one (GAX) but I'm running out of ideas.
Colors I currently have on guitars:
Green
Orange
Black
White
Sunburst

Anyone have any more suggestions for color, that goes with a white guard?
Last edited by Pens on Thu May 02, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Noirie. wrote:That looks aceee. Paint it a metallic grey.
Hmmm, this might work...maybe a darker metallic grey? Would that work with the white guard?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

leave it all natural if you are dragging bad about color. paint it orange, not enough orange guitars in the world
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Paint it hospital/institution green. That would look great with a stark white guard.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Yes to orange. Otherwise, sea foam green.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

mixtape wrote:Yes to orange. Otherwise, sea foam green.
This or shoreline gold with more flakes to kinda throw a silver tint. I think it's called shoreline gold metallic. Do a search and some of the pics look silver in certain lights. You can never go wrong with sea foam green either imo. You can't fuck this up. All great choices.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I like the darker blue and it'd go nice with your green one, but white Fenders go with everything.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Oh, I should have clarified, I meant that list is colors that I currently have on guitars. I already have an orange compstang, I like it but already have that one covered.

Fack I am cutting up some scrap wood blocks to do some more paint testing. If anything I'll post that for others to have an idea of what standard car paint from the auto store will create.

Gonna do up a darker grey metallic, a shade of white, and redo the other one with just straight dark blue again to do more comparison. I wish I could find a greyish blue, that would be ideal.
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

I've a hard time liking blue guitars. With that being said, Ice Blue Metallic is on my list of colors to experiment with, as well as Agave and Ocean Turquoise.

I don't recall seeing anything about red in the thread (sorry if that's not the case, but its been awhile). Recently I've been playing with DupliColor spray cans on white 4" bath room tiles for my samples (really cheap and I don't need to prep and prime). Try something like the transparent anodized effect of Red Metalcast over Silver Specks Metallic, or Red Metalcast over Red Specks Metallic, or even Red Metalcast over Blue Specks Metallic for a funky purple. They make a Blue Metalcast as well, so there's more possibilties. Just a thought.

Give your white pickguard a quick bath in green rit dye... Mint is the way to go!
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I have a metallic red strat (not sure the exact name of the color) with a metal pickguard that is machined and painted black. I'll grab some pics tonight just for fun so you can see the color. I really like it.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Shell Pink.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

TexasSwede wrote:I've a hard time liking blue guitars. With that being said, Ice Blue Metallic is on my list of colors to experiment with, as well as Agave and Ocean Turquoise.

I don't recall seeing anything about red in the thread (sorry if that's not the case, but its been awhile). Recently I've been playing with DupliColor spray cans on white 4" bath room tiles for my samples (really cheap and I don't need to prep and prime). Try something like the transparent anodized effect of Red Metalcast over Silver Specks Metallic, or Red Metalcast over Red Specks Metallic, or even Red Metalcast over Blue Specks Metallic for a funky purple. They make a Blue Metalcast as well, so there's more possibilties. Just a thought.

Give your white pickguard a quick bath in green rit dye... Mint is the way to go!

See, and I have a hard time liking red guitars. Blue is my favorite color in general but teh Kurdz already did most of my favored blue colors so I want to find something else. Your Blue Metalcast has me intrigued, though, I was looking for something semi-transparent so I'll see about picking up some of that and experimenting.

I did think about Shell Pink and Seafoam/institutional green but I'm not sure about those, not a huge fan of the "pastel" colors.

I didn't think the paint was going to be the toughest part of this whole build to decide on, but since I'm waiting on the neck still I have too much time to consider this.
paul_ wrote:I like the darker blue and it'd go nice with your green one, but white Fenders go with everything.
I'm starting to agree more and more with this, gonna do another shoot of the dark blue and see how that turns out.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

Whoa. I missed this for over a year.
I actually have a few SuperSonic plates, as I've switched most of my Super-Sonics to one-piece guards. But It looks like you've solved that nicely.
Colour: I would personally like the following colours for my own collection: Capri Orange, White Blonde, Daphne Blue, Shell Pink, Surf Green, Purple Sparkle. My 1970 Comp Stang has yellowed to green - that would look sharp. I still think coral is a fine colour.

Old picture - the black one now has a black guard, the silver one also has a black guard
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I know you said you weren't fond of red. I'll post a picture of my red strat anyways. The guard used to be brushed aluminum but has worn out. You can still see the brush marks at the top left of the guard. The red actually has a lot more flake in it than it shows here...

Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I finally got the neck from Guitarmill earlier this week. As before, the neck itself is really well done. It would just be nice if they didn't take 5 months to deliver.

I need to get my ass back in gear to finish this thing up now.
Pens
less dickface

Re: SuperSonic II (SonicStang?)

Post by Pens »

Long time for an update, but I finally completed installing the series/parallel switch on this thing last night, so it's 100%. I got to the 99% mark and just needed the correct pickup and switch, but kept putting off buying the JB as they got really expensive, and also I quit playing for several years and didn't see the point in spending the money. I started back up a few months ago and wanted this thing done, so here it is, finally.

I really hope these image links work. Since we lost the Uploader I don't know where to put my shit, so I just put them in Google Photos.

Image Image

And yes, it plays exactly as my SuperSonic did, it's second only to my Musicmaster build in terms of favorite guitars now.
Thom
lamp

Re: SuperSonic II (SonicStang?) COMPLETE

Post by Thom »

That is cool as fuck!