Shipping amps?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

rps-10

Shipping amps?

Post by rps-10 »

Someone has offered to buy the amp I have currently on ebay if I pack it up for a courier to pick up.
Amps are bloody heavy things and I'm wondering if bubble wrap and cardboard will be enough to protect the thing - if I do it.

Any tips? I only have cardboard & bubble wrap at my disposal, no wooden crates. ..and if I decide I can do it, the 3rd party can sort out the courier and his own insurance as this is sure to go wrong.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Interested in this, I've got a cab kicking around that I can't shift for pick up only, so this is very much in my interest.
Ben79

Post by Ben79 »

Should be ok, I had one shipped from Germany and it was ok as it was without any packing. You might want to take the valves out and pack them in lots of bubble separately.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Bubble wrap and cardboard is fine. As mentioned wrap the valves separately.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Is he going to buy it through ebay or off ebay? If through ebay, even if he arranges a courier and pays for it plus insurance he would still be able to get a refund from you if it arrives damaged or broken - and there will be nothing you can do about it.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

As I recall, my Twin was only packed in cardboard, bubble wrap and peanuts; it was shipped from Texas to Atlantic Canada. As the others have said, take out the tubes and wrap them separately. If all you have is bubble wrap, make sure there are several layers. Also make sure the box is sturdy, well marked as fragile and well taped.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

johnnyseven wrote:Is he going to buy it through ebay or off ebay? If through ebay, even if he arranges a courier and pays for it plus insurance he would still be able to get a refund from you if it arrives damaged or broken - and there will be nothing you can do about it.
I was stung when an amp went missing without insurance, make sure you pay the extra - its worth it if you have any trouble.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

johnnyseven wrote:Is he going to buy it through ebay or off ebay? If through ebay, even if he arranges a courier and pays for it plus insurance he would still be able to get a refund from you if it arrives damaged or broken - and there will be nothing you can do about it.
It's on eBay as a buy it now. It's a solid state amp/combo so no need to worry about valves but none the less I still get a bad feeling about this as I've seen how things get busted up in transet before.
Think ill decline saying collection in person or nearby drop off only.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

The thing with insurance is to check the the company's definition of 'well packed' or whatever they call it. Make sure you meet it and then make sure you document your meeting with photos before you send.
obscure pop culture reference
kypdurron

Post by kypdurron »

When it comes to a certain weight, I'd be picky about packing too. I got a new amp from Scotland in it's original package (form cardbox material in original box, bubbles, extra box from carrier). it was ok. but who has the original package with the amp? When you buy an amp in a local shop you usually don't get a box with it.

When I bought a Champ over a local forum, I promptly had several broken tubes as the sender didn't take them out and Champs seem to have no retainers. It increased the price of the amp by 10 % or so to replace the tubes.
grandnoise

Post by grandnoise »

pack very well as they sting you o the insureance with "insufficiet packaging", something I'm currently working through now as an amp I sent to the USA from the UK got damaged which was packaged and they refused to payout anything ven though I had paid for insureance.

Also "fragile" and "handle with care" stickers.
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

I shipped my Blues Jr. to Spain safely, but I was conscious of the fact that it wasn't insured as the carrier had amplifiers on their list of 'own risk' items. If I'd ticked the box to add optional insurance they'd have happily taken my money, but if it had come to a claim they'd have refused to pay. You want to watch out for that stuff - a lot of carriers will not insure lots of items like amps or instruments that aren't shipped inside a hardshell case, but you have to take the time to root around and find out whether it's going to be covered or not, because you're the one who stands to lose if you don't.

If you do decide to ship the amp, I'd recommend cutting a thick cardboard panel which covers the speaker grille and taping it on before doing anything else. Bubble-wrap is of questionable worth when it comes to packaging an amp as the cabinet should be able to withsatnd at least the force that it'll take to pop the bubbles, rendering them useless. The best model is to make a box within a box and have a layer of polystyrene or packing chips between the two - not always possible within size limits and available packaging materials.

As someone said, if it's a PayPal/eBay deal and the amp arrives damaged, you stand to lose both the money and the amp, so you really need to ask yourself if the potential return is worth you assuming all that risk, regardless of the buyer telling you it'll be insured.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

If you do decide to post I would make sure you arrange and pay for the courier with adequate insurance coverage.

Say it arrives damaged, the guy can put in a report to ebay that it arrived ‘not as described’ in the listing. They will ask you what you have to say but in the end they will side with the buyer and give him a refund, however before they will issue it from your paypal account the buyer has to return the item it to you via a tracked delivery service. He will provide ebay with the tracking info, they will keep an eye on the it and when marked as returned to you he will be issued his refund straight from your account whether there is money in it or not. If you arranged the courier you will now have the opportunity to claim the cost of the amp/damage direct from the courier, however if the buyer arranged it your refund will be dependant on him pulling his finger out and making a claim for you.
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

I assume you have it listed as a Buy It Now for collection only. On eBay that's kind of shooting yourself in the foot as it makes the global reach eBay gives you redundant.

In my opinion you'd be best off resisting people nagging you to courier it to them and list it on your local Gumtree. It's free to advertise there and it's pitched at people looking for stuff they can collect in person.

If you do decide to ship it make sure you familiarise yourself with the carrier's packaging guidelines and list of excluded items first.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Amp > Wrap > Box > peanuts/wrap > 2nd box

fill it up with enough material so that when you shake it, it doesn't move around inside - feels solid. always take pictures of the packing process to use in case dickhead says it wasn't packed well.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

Best offer yet :lol:
Would you like to consider shipping to Poland?,I offer you 70 pounds and cover all Paypal fees,I can arrange courier myself, he would knock your door at date you can choose , door to door service,don't have to bother with lifting up.I have 100 % recent positive feeedback from UK sellers, if yes please let me know.
Paypal within 48 hours ( can cover Paypal fees)
Best Regards
Hmm dont think so buddy.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Could be legit but sounds a bit iffy to me.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

If he supplies the packing case then yeah it's his. I'm all out of bubblewrap and cardboard.

Might respond back with that solution, see if he takes it.

edit >> just looked a this guys feedback, he's bought a lot of amps from the uK over the last few months. all "colllection only" auctions.