Mixing with BBC Sound Engineers

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

rps-10

Mixing with BBC Sound Engineers

Post by rps-10 »

Part of the BBC's Introducing Masterclass series: LINK
Informative if you know naff all about mixing, which is what the Introducing series is all about.

The two Guitar Masterclasses that are on there are worth a look, well the one (Guitars with Sam Carter, Marcus Bonfanti & Stephen Rothery) is the other one (Guitar with Ally McCrae and Daniel P Carter) is dire!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Good shout, man- this mixing video looks pretty interesting.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

BBWHO?

[youtube][/youtube]
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hahaha, I saw a few of those you posted on FB, Timmy. DEAD GOOD.

In regards to the BBC guy, I disagree with a few of his approaches; compressing before EQ seems odd to me, for example.

Say you've got a vocal with too much low end content. Sticking a compressor on it FIRST, then EQ'ing the lows out means the compressor is reacting to frequencies that you're removing afterwards, rather than letting the compressor act on a closer representation to the final sound.

Got really sick of that drum-woodblock riff about 2 minutes in too, ARGHHHHHH.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Doog wrote:Hahaha, I saw a few of those you posted on FB, Timmy. DEAD GOOD.

In regards to the BBC guy, I disagree with a few of his approaches; compressing before EQ seems odd to me, for example.

Say you've got a vocal with too much low end content. Sticking a compressor on it FIRST, then EQ'ing the lows out means the compressor is reacting to frequencies that you're removing afterwards, rather than letting the compressor act on a closer representation to the final sound..
I agree with Doog here too. Generally I'll do all my EQ before hitting any compression, and I know some d00dz like to EQ after comp as well especially if they do some minor additive EQ, which makes sense because the compressor won't react to that frequency bump.

Unfortunately this video is not available in my area. DICKS.