Mixing a Live Recording

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

moogmusic

Mixing a Live Recording

Post by moogmusic »

I've been mixing a live recording of our band made in December and the first pass is in: http://soundcloud.com/smnwail4u/alive-i ... le/s-VThfA

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The recordings were made from the channels on the desk and then I've mixed it using Ardour (http://ardour.org)

Thanks
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

The only thing that really sticks out for me right now is that is sounds pretty mono. I would try to find a way to make the guitar spread a bit and get out of the way of the critical bass/drum/vox center elements. Maybe spreading the vocal out would help make it feel 'wider' too.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

I've got your recording open in a tab ready to have a listen during lunch.

Regarding Ardour, how do you like it? I've used it casually for mixing and post-production stuff for a few years in both OS X and Linux and I've found it to be very capable.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

I think the bass could come up a bit in the mix. If you're just a three-piece (like it sounds, if I'm hearing correctly), you could also maybe just pan the guitar left a bit and the bass right a bit to separate them and give them a bit of distinct space.

It sounds like there's some decent stereo field stuff going on with the drums already by virtue of how they were mic'd.
duosonic

Post by duosonic »

How many tracks did you record to? I would get a little more separation between the guitar and the drums (compression and eq). Panning the guitar off to the side will give you more space for the rest of what's going on. Best tip I've heard is to get the vocal where you want it and then build up the rest around it.
moogmusic

Post by moogmusic »

Thanks for the ideas, I'll post another mix when I've had a fiddle. We are a three-piece and I've got about a ten tracks I think - vox, guitar, bass, individual drums and a couple of room mics. I've panned the drums around but left the guitar dead centre, I'll move it off to one side a bit. I'm not so hot on EQing drums so any suggestions on where to begin would be very helpful.

I find Ardour a great program. I'm just beta-testing version 3 and it seems pretty good - they've multi-threaded it so you can use multiple processors for FX plugins now which is a great improvement. I've been using version 2 for years and it's always been rock solid and it does everything I need from a DAW.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

don't be afraid of the room mics if they sound good. if you can get them wide enough, you can pan your other instruments to fit and it will sound pretty natural.
moogmusic

Post by moogmusic »

I've tweaked the levels and stereo field a little. Next up: EQing which is an area I have no skill in what so ever...

http://soundcloud.com/steven-j-tonge/al ... le/s-haRSR
markleton

Post by markleton »

The dude that recorded my last band in Glasgow has put up some videos about mixing a live recording, might be some help?

[youtube][/youtube]