Stage Lighting Issues

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Stage Lighting Issues

Post by Fran »

A bit of an odd one; Has any of you had problems with stage lighting making your Amp hum?
My Peavey Deuce does not like these disco sound-to-light lights we've been using, they cause it to hum and the valves seem to glow more even with the lights a few feet away.
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

Is this with the amp plugged into a seperate power socket from the sound-to-light unit? If not, maybe trying that might help.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you used the word disco in your post.

your amp is rejecting the disco. you should too
dots wrote:incesticide
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I guess the stage light are a helluva draw on the mains supply, maybe the amp isn't getting all the current it needs?
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Of the three lights we've been using i think one of them was in the same socket as my amp, i'll look into that, cheers. They dont seem to effect the other amps (Line 6 and Laney) in the band, fucking things, worst thing is they were my suggestion :x
louis
fuckin' A

Post by louis »

never had anything with lights but my whammy pedal goes a bit mental if its placed too close to certain things.
Twitter: @fearthelivinguk
theshadowofseattle wrote:Nothin' but orange groves and black augs, as far as the eye could see.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

i have had strange sounds due to lights like that. try different circuits or something that isolates power.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The lights in my old living room (spot lights with a dimmer switch) made my a lot of noise come from my amp, and it didn't seem to matter which amp, guitar, lead or pedals I was using. It would also cause noise if I was upstairs playing in the upstairs front room (above the lights) and I'd notice that it'd get much worse depending on where I stood and where I allowed the cable to run across the floor, but it was always there.

Don't know how that's any use to you and your problem, but basically fuck lights.
Simon

Post by Simon »

They can definitely have affect your signal - It can happen really randomly though. I know we used to have to sometimes switch the lights off in our practice room so that our amps wouldn't go mental, though it only happened sometimes.

I sometimes sit in my living room and practice with my full setup. If I have the TV on the background and turn the volume up or down, it makes a weird clicking noise through my amp. It's bizarre.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Lighting rigs and fans and all that sort of theatrical stage enhancement is bad news plugged into the same socket as amplifiers. Its something to do with the drain and some other electromagnetic phenomena that I can't quite recall at the moment. Something to do with induction, as far as I remember, but don't quote me.
Jesse
Neat

Post by Jesse »

Put simply: Keep lights on a separate circuit from anything else. Stage lights (especially Lekos (spotlights) and PARs (can lights)) draw a tonne of power (Average 750W each? Jesus... I wouldn't even run two of them on a single circuit). They cause a large amount of interference with audio and video signals due to this fact.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Play in the dark. That's way more metal.