Sound Card and Recording Program Suggestions

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

vierphoria

Sound Card and Recording Program Suggestions

Post by vierphoria »

I've been thinking of getting a soundcard for some home recording stuff (I'm planning to do some noisy, Akira Yamaoka-inspired songs to start out with).

The idea is to get an external sound card that comes with some basic sort of recording program that will be easy to use and so on (the only programs I've hade some prior experience with is Cubase and Renoise).

I will most certainly be buying the soundcard from this site: (so it would be preferable if the price doesn't exceed 1500 SEK, about 150€, and that you don't like any other sites than this one, maybe except Thomann.)
http://www.4sound.se/section.aspx?id=80 ... owImages=0 (The link lists external soundcards in price order)

It's probably worth mentioning that I won't be micing an amp but run the guitar through my effect pedals straight into the soundcard.

Any advice and input is welcome. :)
jumbledupthinking

Post by jumbledupthinking »

For the budget that you have (& what you are intending to use it for), I'd recommend looking second-hand at something like a Digidesign M Box. Software-wise, Reaper would be great (and is free to use on an evaluation license while you work out if it suits you).

I know this is slightly off track from your initial plan, but it's a good solution that won't cost too much & will bring professional sounding results (& hopefully last you for a long time).
vierphoria

Post by vierphoria »

jumbledupthinking wrote:For the budget that you have (& what you are intending to use it for), I'd recommend looking second-hand at something like a Digidesign M Box. Software-wise, Reaper would be great (and is free to use on an evaluation license while you work out if it suits you).

I know this is slightly off track from your initial plan, but it's a good solution that won't cost too much & will bring professional sounding results (& hopefully last you for a long time).
Thanks so much for the input! :)

I actually have the opportunity to get a "free" external sound card from a friend (A Line 6 Toneport UX1) in exchange for a DigiDelay. I haven't tried it yet since I've no 1/4 jack for my headphones, but probably tomorrow.

This very same friend actually recommended Reaper to me, but lazy me haven't checked it out yet (downloading now, though).

Perhaps things will be up and running shortly.

By the way, has anyone tested the Steinberg sound cards?
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

firewire card + firewire interface + REAPER

http://www.reaper.fm
vierphoria

Post by vierphoria »

Sloan wrote:REAPER

http://www.reaper.fm
From what I've tried, Reaper is fucking rad.

Thanks.