Squier Affinity Duo Sonic: BRING THE SCIENCE

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Squier Affinity Duo Sonic: BRING THE SCIENCE

Post by Dave »

Me and Willin have traded my wee amp for his wee Duo. A bit the like the Dutch rudder but with tiny equipment. Or something.

This Duo is going to get some fun project work done to it I suspect but, as usual, I want to know everything there is to know about it. There's practically piss-all solid info about them on the internet that I can find, even on this fair forum. Completely failing to even find a manufacturer spec list! Can anyone give firm answers to the following:

1) Is there any truth or evidence these were made with left over MIM parts?
2) What is the body made of? Anyone stripped one and had a look? Laminates? Basswood? Something else?
3) the neck is a conversion neck from 22.5 to 22.7 (or something like that)? If so anyone tried a 25.5 on it? If I wanted 24" Id need a 24" conversion neck right?
4) Definite differences between the Squier and the MIM?
5) If you've done any projjects with these I want know and see PICS.

FACT ME IN THE FACE SHORTSCALE......GO!
Last edited by Dave on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

I think (needs a grown up to answer, though) that, as it's a conversion neck, you can bung a 25.5 on there and it'll intonate. I had some vague plans of sticking a fat Allparts strat neck on it. Fran and Rob know about these things.
Cagethelephant

Post by Cagethelephant »

Affinity series shortscales?
Cagethelephant

Post by Cagethelephant »

Affinity series shortscales?
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

yes
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

and yes
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

oops missed your comment T, hopefully Franulus and Robulus will chip in on this. Must admit I'd try 25.5 just to see if it works but i'm definitely more about the 24" necks these day. based on NickS' swinger I'm happy with 22.5" too however the nut width on the duo is way wider than than A-Width If I can come across a cheap neck swap for somemthing a little smaller I'll definitley go down that route but will stick with it as it is until then.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

I can't post the picture right now because I'm at work, but I had one of the MIM versions and put a Strat neck on it and it worked very well. So, if you're looking for a 24" scale, you're going after the conversion necks. Jagmaster, classic vibe duo, etc. etc.

cool guitars that actually sounded pretty decent. I wish I still had mine.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I had one of these years ago that I put a Strat neck on. I moved the bridge position and cut a custom guard for it. tried just putting the Strat neck on and setting it up but i t was totally out of whack with the bridge in the standard position. It could have been messed with before I got it but I don't think it was.

Sorry for being so vague. It was about 12 years ago and those are the facts as my brain can remember them. (in other words I could be wrong)
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Haha i was just doing some googling and this thread popped up....I RECOGNISE THAT HOUSE!

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/archive ... 12004.html
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

mine was the fender, but I didn't have to move the bridge at all . . . the saddles were about as far back as they go, but it work without redrilling anything.
twitter.com/skcwillie

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

SKC Willie wrote:mine was the fender, but I didn't have to move the bridge at all . . . the saddles were about as far back as they go, but it work without redrilling anything.
Neck on the squier is definitley cheeeaaap-as, maple cap, super low machine ground frets, plain truss hole....its got the same feel as other chinese cheap necks I've tried so I'd be surprised if the MIM neck was the same. Does that sound like the neck on the MIM?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Mine was MIM and your description of the feel of the neck seems pretty spot on. Can't remember what the truss hole was like tho, whether it was on the heel or nut end. I ditched it straight away because it felt cheap and crappy.

Chances are I moved my bridge so I wouldn't need to have the saddles cranked all the way back.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

yeah, it felt like a very cheap, Squier neck. I have no information about them using left over parts etc. etc. BUT if you look at Rob's squier duo, he wore through the finish really quickly and the MIM felt like it would do the same thing w/ frequent playing.

it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they used the same parts; they certainly feel like the same parts.
twitter.com/skcwillie

endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

They are essentially the same as the MIM, only real difference is the electronics and the swimming pool rout on the squier.
Basswood.

My franken-sonic was one of those duo's with a jagmaster conversion neck on it, intonated like a champ. You could also throw a standard strat neck on there with no intonation issues.

I also used a toranado string through bridge.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

^Love the Franken-Sonic.

Good score David, excellent project guitar 8)
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

Fran wrote:^Love the Franken-Sonic.

I miss it, sold it to pay for my mustang which I do love more... but it doesn't have nearly the character of that weird ass monster.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

endsjustifymeans wrote:
Fran wrote:^Love the Franken-Sonic.

I miss it, sold it to pay for my mustang which I do love more... but it doesn't have nearly the character of that weird ass monster.
I dont know if i could sell any of my project guitars. I did give Lorez the original Telebastard body but that was because i upgraded it.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

I've got a whole mim one and the neck of a squier one somewhere at the parents' place. I can dig it up sometime and compare the two by feel and observation or maybe even science, but it might be awhile.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

endsjustifymeans wrote:They are essentially the same as the MIM, only real difference is the electronics and the swimming pool rout on the squier.
Basswood.

My franken-sonic was one of those duo's with a jagmaster conversion neck on it, intonated like a champ. You could also throw a standard strat neck on there with no intonation issues.

I also used a toranado string through bridge.
That is fucking sexy. That's the idea I have for my Cyclone... just need some green pearl (or green sticky film)
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10