Pawn shop mustang wiring

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

BillClay

Pawn shop mustang wiring

Post by BillClay »

Does anybody have a wiring diagram or even just a picture of the inside of the pick guard? Fender doesn't have one and I can't for the life of me figure how to wire a split/series/split to a mustang switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

I had ripped mine open and took some pics, but none of the back of the pick guard. just the 3 way toggle once i had it removed. so probably not that helpful
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Thanks man, but I need to see the back of the mustang switches. You wouldn't happen to be planning on changing strings in the near future would you? Maybe snap a pic then? You would literally be the first person on the Internet to reveal how these things are wired.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

I'll snap a few later on today. I tried to swap out the three way switch before and it turned into a total botched job... the replacement was just a tiny tiny tiny bit to big and it the pick guard wouldnt screw down properly. so i had to take it out, attempt to bend and fix the original, just to find that fender left absolutely no extra wire when they originally wired so i barely had enough room to solder it back in. so i gotta see what kinda wire they used so i can buy more wire, new switch and fix it again. So just ignore the shitty switch work haha
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
iCEByTes

Re: Pawn shop mustang wiring

Post by iCEByTes »

BillClay wrote:Does anybody have a wiring diagram or even just a picture of the inside of the pick guard? Fender doesn't have one and I can't for the life of me figure how to wire a split/series/split to a mustang switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Precise dwarf bravery
Mattsican

Re: Pawn shop mustang wiring

Post by Mattsican »

iCEByTes wrote:
BillClay wrote:Does anybody have a wiring diagram or even just a picture of the inside of the pick guard? Fender doesn't have one and I can't for the life of me figure how to wire a split/series/split to a mustang switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Isn't that a diagram/pic from a regular mustang? From what i understand the PS Mustang switches do different things than your standard switch. Mine (as far as i know) does outside coil/both coils/inside coil for each pickup
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Split/Series/Split is a pretty awesome option. I did it on my Kurt Cobain bridge humbucker. I don't know how the PS Mustang does it, but here's how I do it:

Using standard Seymour Duncan colors... here's the switch:

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

Wire the coil split pair (red and white) to 6, then a short wire from 6 to 7. Connect the pickup hot (black) and output hot to 8, and pickup ground (green), shield, and output ground to 5.

Since you're only using half the switch, you can actually do split/series/split on two pickups at once using this switch, leaving you the other switch for bridge/middle/neck, etc. If you're making a double split, unless you have a specially made reverse polarity neck pickup (practically never), I suggest using the reverse wiring option, which means using black and green as coil split to 6, short wire from 6 to 7, using red as pickup hot and output hot at 8, and using white as pickup ground, shield, and output to 5. This is cool because then if both pickups are on, it stays hum canceling no matter where the split is.
Last edited by honeyiscool on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

^
yeah, I appreciate the pics, but that wiring won't work for the pawnshop stang, I'm looking for single/bucker/single.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Does PS Mustang have one of those three wire humbucker pickups that I sometimes see from Fender?
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

4 wires.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Then what I said will work. What you have to do is figure out which colors correspond to which.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

^
I wasn't saying yours wouldn't work, I was saying Icey's wouldn't. I'm confused though, you say I'm only using half the switch, but how is that possible? I'm using all three positions to get single/humbucker/single?
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

You only need half the switch, as in pick the bottom or the top terminals.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

Here are pics from the inside of my PS Mustang. I tried to get a few different angles. Hope this helps.

Theres a couple more if you browse thru the imageshack pics
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Dude you may have saved my life, any chance you have any more pics with the black wires moved aside so you can see all of the lugs?
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Only the bottom row of the lugs is used, as I've tried to say.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

honeyiscool wrote:Only the bottom row of the lugs is used, as I've tried to say.
he is right, none of the top row of lugs is being used. i took about 15 pics, ill see if there are any alternate angles and post what i got.
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

thats pretty much all the usable pics i took. the others are either blurry or too far back.
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

this one is blowing my fucking mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you don't use all those lugs wtf is the point of even making a switch with them?

its cheaper to buy a 8 terminal switchcraft than make your own 4 terminal version ?
dots wrote:incesticide