Electrical Audio Adventure NOW WITH SONDZ! KOOL!

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

aen
Turdscreamer

Electrical Audio Adventure NOW WITH SONDZ! KOOL!

Post by aen »

soooooo, I dont know if I remembered to tell you all, but my band, The Ronald Raygun is recording at Electrical Audio on the 31st of this month.
AND Brain "I recorded that fuckin Bon Iver Album" Joseph is recording the thing!
WOOT! Road trip and recording in a fancy studio!

Yes, we are planning to record to tape, even though I do not believe in tape magic.
Last edited by aen on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Very cool!
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

good luck aen ! you'll kick ass !

it's been a dream to record something there at one point in my life as that would ever happen but happy to hear a shortscaler is getting teh awesome onnnn. can't wait to hear the result.

/and check your goddamn pm's ...yo.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

BRILLZ! I'm sure you will, but please get a bunch of video footage.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

ELECTRICAL AUDIO DEMO
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Please post a TON OF PICS/INFO

there's an interview with Electrical Audio's Steve Albini and Greg Norman in the latest Tape Op
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Yesss, I will bring the Big Guns to take pics. I'm guessing I should have plenty of time to cruise around while other dudes do overdubs and vocals.
We are borrowing Bon Iver's giant white van to go there and bring a lot of our gear since EA doesn't list any bass cabs on their website. AND BASS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Ugh, and even though I really wanted to call the album "tape magic" it looks like it's going to be "Surrender Dorothy"
featuring hometown favorites:

Musky Lunge
Never Cats
West
Ghost Bike
Thunder Land
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

mega kool
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

Cool stuff!

A lot of bands seam to be recording in tape this days, why? does it sound so much better? i mean, it seams a lot more time consuming process to record on tape!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

More mojo-arrows, innit.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

sp3k wrote:Cool stuff!

A lot of bands seam to be recording in tape this days, why? does it sound so much better? i mean, it seams a lot more time consuming process to record on tape!
tape machines have characteristic frequency responses that some people like. they often have that kind of low end "punch". http://www.endino.com/graphs/index.html

of course you can just EQ your mix to be similar. but if you have the ability to do tape and want to spend the money on reels of tape, sure why not. it's not that much more time consuming. they rewind really fast, you can set memory locations for quickly locating a spot on the recording. also a lot of people will initially record to tape and then transfer to digital. that will give you the frequency response of the ATR, the ability to use the tape saturation if desired and the flexibility of digital editing.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
mastermorya

Post by mastermorya »

You probably already thought of this, but the kindly staff/community at the EA forum can probably answer whatever questions you have about what's going ahn w/r/t available equipment. Plus I think the PRF crew already digs The Ronald Raygun, fearsomely, or just don't know that yet.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Heh, I hope they would like us, but I've been registered there for a while and never really "connected" with anyone. It's like Shortscale hazing x10

But anyway, I don't see any need or much of an advantage to going to tape, but since we have two rolls of tape, people who know how to run the shit, and we want to track the majority of the music together, why not? It's all getting dumped right into pro tools so editing and mixing isnt a FUCKING NIGHTMARE anyway. I imagine we'll be taping over our tapes once or twice, since we have songs that push 20 mins, one of them that runs into a song at about 7 minutes.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Nothing intelligent to add except to say this is awesome! Keep us posted with pics/video, etc etc. So rad.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

ALLRIGHT!

We's in Palatine IL, for the night. Took sort of a cockeyed way down. Anyway, keeping a pretty detailed diary via twitter/instagram. Nice big photos will be uploaded in bits and pieces tomorrow.

BOrrowing a van from Bon Iver.

Matthew (drums, synth) rocking an awful lot of ipad on this drive. A little synth, a little awful country music, and a shit ton of angry birds.

if you want to be "up to the second" (and I know you all do) follow @theronaldraygun on twitter!!
Also will try to get shit up on facebook.
And yes, more pics, good pics, everyhting as recording schedule allows!!!

LOVE
AEN

PS, we are watching MTV jams with the sound off, listening to some really freaky free jazz/doom called Broken Wire. Its fucking intense.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

aen wrote:PS, we are watching MTV jams with the sound off, listening to some really freaky free jazz/doom called Broken Wire. Its fucking intense.
This is all I could find.

[youtube][/youtube]
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

PHOTOBOMB.
► Show Spoiler
We had an amazing assistant on the session by the name of John. I would REQUEST him if you consider recording at electrical. Incredible. Always positive energy, knows his shit, and he even went on a beer run for us! I dont know why we didnt take a nice picture of him. Dude worked from 10AM to 5AM. Also they have interns there. The one there on Saturday was named Brian, and anytime he saw you he was like "Hey do you need anything? Coffee?" It was fucking crazy. He went and got our burrito supper!

And yeah, i did see Steve Albini. He was running through studio B, grabbing guitars strings, and I was like "Hey this is a really cool studio" and he was like "Thanks, I'm glad you like it." and then he left.

We have to finish tracking here at the Wail House, which is super fine for me. I am very interested in some serious experimentation again. In the studio was very straight ahead "GET AS MUCH SOLID SHIT RECORDED AS YOU CAN!!!!!" BUt I showed them! WHile tape was rolling during my overdubs I improvised during the parts I was not expressly required to double my bass line. HAHAHAHHAHAHA! VICTORY!
lorez

Post by lorez »

looks amazing aen. cant wait to hear the results
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

Great pics! sounds like you had a great adventure and road trip.

How long before the "audio" is out?