best hard case for mustang?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

thepossiblebag

best hard case for mustang?

Post by thepossiblebag »

hi,

can anyone recommend a good hard case for a 65 RI mustang guitar?

thanks!
Rushkoff

Post by Rushkoff »

Cheap and cheerful from Thomann. Fits my Mustang perfectly.

EDIT: And it's rather alright :)
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

I use a Gator Standard Electric case. I have to use a rolled up towel to keep it snug inside though. The towel comes in handy for wiping it down after playing too.
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

My Stang fits in the Gator case just fine. I just have to squeeze it in a little (that's what she said) to fit the headstock in.

There's a Kaces soft case I have that I really like. I used some felt inserts to make the guitar fit better but it's the most useful guitar case I've ever had.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
thepossiblebag

Post by thepossiblebag »

thanks all! I shall invetigate those suggestions!
speedfish

Re: best hard case for mustang?

Post by speedfish »

thepossiblebag wrote:hi,

can anyone recommend a good hard case for a 65 RI mustang guitar?

thanks!
I prefer the SKB cases both for fit and price, but couldn't find one for my Cyclone, which shares the Mustang's body, so I purchased a Fender deluxe mustang case which I do not like. What I don't like? First the guitar's neck runs through the storage compartments, so what ever you put in there, like your tremolo bar, strap, picks, wrenches, tuners, etc, can bang up against the neck. Second I don't like the lock. It's the cheap type that you typically see on a suitcase or low end guitar cases that can be picked with any small flat-head screwdriver or paper-clip. The SKB locks are nice and solid and latches are flight approved. I have a Gator case for my Jagmaster and it's similar to the Fender case, but the storage compartments have flaps/doors over them to keep your gear from banging around. However, I have the same complaint regarding the lock on the Gator, it's cheap. The Gator is the least expensive coming in right around $99.00, Fender ~$129.00, SKB ~$134.00. If I ever find that SKB has a case for the Mustang, then I will be obliged to dump the Fender and replace it with the SKB.
gypsyseven

Post by gypsyseven »

HISCOX !!!!
[quote="Doog"]Another of life's great mysteries solved.

Next week: where does my room go when I turn off the lights?
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I really think a good padded gig bag protects better than a hard case. Just my personal opinion tho.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Easier to transport too. Love it when you can carry amp / pedal board / whatever with two hands and sling your guitar over your back.
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

do you think a mustang fit in it?
nice shape
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1423.l2649
Last edited by Johnny Noir on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

h8mtv wrote:I really think a good padded gig bag protects better than a hard case. Just my personal opinion tho.
I somewhat agree. I use this case a lot:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... 2000000000

It's sort of like a soft case that protects like a hard case. Also has backpack straps and stretchy pockets for cables and shit. I love this case so much.

But a couple of sheets of felt are recommended (get them at an art store).
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

strat
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Yes, genuine Fender G&G Strat cases fit, however, I had to modify mine, cut the padding in half on the ass-end, and move it to the top (not front) side. I razor-bladed the pads off the side wall, peeled back the velvet, removed the styrofoam and cut it in half lengthwise, then inserted the two chopped off halves into the side front wall of the case, then re-covered the styro pads with the velvet which now had extra slack, and the front wall had enough slack to still connect with the wall without leaving any gaps. It was too tight in the ass and too loose at the top. I accomplished this without destroying the crushed velvet or leaving any visible alterations. Now it fits snug as a bug.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:strat
i tryed with this and the mustang was to long to fit a standard strat case from fender.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

weird.
► Show Spoiler
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:weird.
► Show Spoiler
if i had pushed the guitar a little bit harder maybe it had worked.
anyway i got a jaguar, jazzmaster, mustang hard case for it and now it works pretty well.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

This one might suit the bill. It's a Fender case,but unlike mine has the closed pocket for storing your accessories. About $50.00 more than I paid for my Fender case without the closed storage compartment. Here's a link to ebay for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123
MMPicker

Post by MMPicker »

That looks just like the case I bought for my Musicmaster II, which is the same size/ shape as an original Mustang.
I got mine from Elderly instruments, it was a long time ago but I think it is this one:
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GCF-TXMUST.htm

(FWIW it fits my Musicmaster II perfectly)
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

MMPicker wrote:That looks just like the case I bought for my Musicmaster II, which is the same size/ shape as an original Mustang.
I got mine from Elderly instruments, it was a long time ago but I think it is this one:
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GCF-TXMUST.htm

(FWIW it fits my Musicmaster II perfectly)

Hhhmmm? No pic currently to compare it to, but there is a pic for the Fender Mustang Bass Case that looks the same inside. Better price at Elderly if it is the same case.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Damn it! I finally realized that my case is based on the 60-70's vintage style and that's why it's all open inside. :evil: Definitely not a fan of the vintage cases.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister