Roland Juno-Stage

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

Ben79 wrote:That's a beautiful bit of misconstruing right there, I dare say David Cameron would love to have you on his bench. :)
Them's fightin' words.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

plaidbeer wrote:Went by a GC this morning to kill some time and I went into the keyboard room for the hell of it. I messed around with the Juno-Gi, Di, and Korg M50. The Gi and Di are a big step up from the Juno-G I had, in terms of pianos and string pads. As for the Wurlitzers and Rhodes electric pianos, I think the M50 beats them both and you have a touch screen interface with the M50. Have you checked out one of those?
I haven't. Synths aren't commonly carried here... I'm pretty surprised the Stage is in stock and that they had a Gaia before. I'd have to order anything I want to test to get it in the store :/

I did pop in to see if they'd be carrying the XW-P1, but they had no info and they don't normally carry Casio stuff... add in that there's usually a month or so lag for us to get things in Canada, it might just not be in their systems yet. They're emailing head office to inquire for me, though.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

I had the chance to play Juno 60 and it was immense. I dont know how you aim to use your synth but my advice would be to look for a nice analog synth like Juno 60/106 or Prophet. It looks like those synths have fewer capabilities than the all new flashy ones but the quality of the sounds you get is spectacular, you get lost in those sounds for hours
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

I picked up a Juno Di a few weeks back and am quite happy with it. It's got a thousand plus voices that are all editable and is multi timbal, which is a key to my needs. The down side is that it's a bit cheap feeling, so I'm not sure how rugged it will be when I start giging it. The price tag was $700 new and I talked the sales rep at GC to sell it for $630 to cover Chicagos insane sales tax.
I've also been bidding on a few Poly-800's and just won one yesterday for a little over $200. I can't wait to get it, as I've been looking into all the mods that can be done to it.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

riotshield wrote:I had the chance to play Juno 60 and it was immense. I dont know how you aim to use your synth but my advice would be to look for a nice analog synth like Juno 60/106 or Prophet. It looks like those synths have fewer capabilities than the all new flashy ones but the quality of the sounds you get is spectacular, you get lost in those sounds for hours
You won't get a piano sound out of an original Juno. But I agree, they're great fun to use, and intuitive. I have a 106, got it for a total bargain about 12 years ago.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

really want a poly-800 or DW-6000/8000. awesome space documentary type sounds.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

Mages wrote:really want a poly-800 or DW-6000/8000. awesome space documentary type sounds.
The DW-8000/EX-8000 is a lot of fun. You can get some pretty murky/trippy sounds when cranking the resonance and adding the onboard delay. The only drawback to the DW-8000 was that it had the worst feeling keys I've ever used. Clackety and noisy.