Advantages of Reaper?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

UlricvonCatalyst

Advantages of Reaper?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

Time and time again I see Reaper proffered when someone asks about a nice simple recording package.

I started with Cubase on an Atari STE in the 90s and have more or less stayed loyal to the devil I know (though I used to record/edit in ProTools then mix in Cubase).

I'm still using Cubase SX3 on the basis of 'If it ain't broke....'. I barely scratch the surface of all the fancy-schmancy stuff you can do in Cubase, but I do use some VST instruments and tons of FX plug-ins.

Am I missing a trick? Is there any added value for me in switching to Reaper?
lorez

Post by lorez »

the main bonus for reaper for me was that it is essentially free, quite easy to pick up and very lightweight on filesize compared to others. As for usability, its been ages since I used a DAW (talking early 90s) so compared to that it was very intuitive
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

It's pretty much the same sort of thing. You'd actually start a big disadvantage by having to find out the method to do all of the tasks you already do without thinking about.

One of the biggest advantages to Reaper is that you can just download and go. It's fully featured and is probably most similar to Cubase out of the big boys, certainly closer to Cubase than it is Pro Tools but I can't say much about Sonar or Logic. I think that as long as you have a rough idea of how to go about things (for example pretty much all of that style of software requires you to select a region to bounce when making a mixdown, the little details like that) then I think Reaper is probably a little easier to get started with than the others.

I think it gets suggested a lot because for a guy starting out who wants something that can do whatever he needs it to, something you can download on an indefinite trial period but isn't in any way restricted is a smart move. For someone already familiar with a piece of software but wanting to update/upgrade their whole setup they might be better sticking with what they know, but most of the 'how do I record to computer' type topics that come up here are from guys starting out.
Shabba.
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

Aye, fair enough. I'm actually seriously considering doing some analogue recording if I ever get into it again, but I wouldn't like to lose touch with the digital world altogether.

One of my concerns was future operating systems not supporting my version of Cubase any more. I already lost my ProTools set-up when I changed computer after they stopped supporting the Digi 001 (a total scandal, in my opinion, for an expensive platform like that).
batsbrew

Post by batsbrew »

reaper is a great daw, and i have it...

but i find Sonar to be superior for my workflow.
that's what i use for serious recording......
Dokterrock

Post by Dokterrock »

Pro Tools for years... then Logic for like the last four... and now back to Pro Tools 10. Logic can be counterintuitive, to say the least, but probably as others have said, it's more because I'm used to doing things a certain way. If it ain't broke, I always say.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Reaper is almost entirely customizable. People make custom stuff you can add and enhance workflow etc... if you want. ReaScript lets you run python scripts to do even more stuff. very cool.

The trial is fully featured and doesn't expire, so just try it.