recording to computer?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

hendrix1234

recording to computer?

Post by hendrix1234 »

I want to record guitar to my computer with my effects etc...

i was going to get a digitech rp500 or a line 6 pod as they connect via usb, but it seems stupid as i already have all the pedals i want for my sounds, my question is is there a better way to record to my computer using my pedal board?

i know ill need a recording program and some kind of interface(guitar to interface to (usb/line in computer?) but would i need a better soundcard aswell?

whats a cheapish interface?

cheers
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

if you are going cheap.....

KRYSTAL multitrack is free. lots of us here on the board use it
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

Zoom H2 will get you into krystal in stereo for 150 bucks
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

the mic's inside this little thing rule. sit the thing right in front of your amp. or on a wall for room sondz
jumbledupthinking

Post by jumbledupthinking »

Original M Box interfaces go for sub-£50 all the time second hand. One of those & a copy of Reaper (free while you evaluate) & you'd be golden.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

The guitar amps get mic'd up with an SM57 that runs into a preamp/mixer but for my bass I run my trusty MBM RAT into a Sansamp BDDI, a Boss reverb box and straight into the mixer without mics or amps at all.

For the preamp itself I'm using a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. I'm not sure if it's within your budget or not but it sounds fine and was easy enough to set up. It actually bypasses your PC's own soundcard - there are outputs to external monitor preamps/speakers and the USB links it to your PC and software. I didn't need to alter my PC's existing audio settings at all.

I'm considering venturing into condenser mic territory, but as a beginner's mic that offers decent sound quality and reliability for less than a hundred quid, the SM57 is popular for a reason. No regrets there. :)
hendrix1234

Post by hendrix1234 »

cheers for the replies, the zooms go for about 200 bucks new here so ill see if i can find one cheaper second hand maybe.

i couldnt find any cheap mbox interfaces atm but ill keep an eye out.

i did record years ago with an old zoom 4 track recorder but im not sure if i still have it.
jumbledupthinking

Concretebadger wrote:I'm considering venturing into condenser mic territory
If you're after a great, cheap condenser that's good for multiple applications, would recommend a Rode M3. Seriously amazing mic for the price.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

jumbledupthinking wrote:
Concretebadger wrote:I'm considering venturing into condenser mic territory
If you're after a great, cheap condenser that's good for multiple applications, would recommend a Rode M3. Seriously amazing mic for the price.
+1
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Duly noted. I've been looking around and was surprised at how the entry-level Rode condensers get very good reviews but often cost less than two hundred quid. Very tempting indeed!
jumbledupthinking

You can pick up a Rode M3 for £65 these days, which seems outrageously cheap to me given how good they are.
AaronGuitarDude

Post by AaronGuitarDude »

An audio interface isn't necessary, download ASIO4all, it's a free program from ur sound card, I've downloaded Guitar Rig 5, plugging my guitar to computer, and the computer to a 50watt solid state bass amp. Pretty good, sound wise. Had problem with freaking wires though, overall 9.5/10 rating for me.