THICK plectrums (everyone loves a tedious plectrum thread)

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

THICK plectrums (everyone loves a tedious plectrum thread)

Post by benecol »

So, on a whim, and because a few terrifyingly fast technical players I know swear by them, I thought I'd try some thick plectrums. I bought some of these:

... then moved house and forgot I had them. Anyhow, found them the other day, and they're weird but quite good. I've got a 2mm and a 3mm, and they look (and feel) a bit like a boiled sweet, but they're quite good. Anyone else using, or tried, thick plectrums?

► Show Spoiler
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

I have a couple big stubbys. even though I mainly use purple tortex picks. I like em, they are a bit awkward though.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I used to use 2mm Big Stubbies almost exclusively; now I mostly use ~1mm Tortex. They play similarly, but I find the Tortex nicer to hold. That said, the Big Stubbies wear better than the Tortex.
My preference might come from the fact that I come from playing bass rather than guitar, but, I never got on with bendy plecs.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I prefer thick plecs Tim, they seem to offer more accuracy and dynamics. Even use a brass plec at times.
You cant 'dig in' with thin plecs, i hate them and i imagine my old English teacher used them on his shitty acoustic...
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I used the 3mm small stubbies for ages, playing jazz they worked really well, but something was not perfect - I don't really like sharp points on picks mainly.

Now I've ended up back with what I first started with 10 years ago, the purple Tortex picks, and they sound great.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

Thick/heavy preferred, just got a few of those Dunlop Teckpick things, in Brass colour but they are actually aluminium. Added squeaks when playing, excellent comedy value. :lol:

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I use the purple Tortex ones for lead stuff (sometimes use something a little bit thinner if recording rhythm only parts). Have done for years now.
Last edited by BearBoy on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Maaaan, I remember buying a few Big Stubbys when I was like 15 or so.. such heady days.

I don't remember having any specific problem with them then, but I fear trying one now would be akin to playing with a marble.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

They very much have a cough sweet vibe about them.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I have mostly used medium or medium/light plectrums all my guitar playing life, but in my last band when we were playing much heavier stuff I played with thick ones and it did make a massive difference. If you want staccato crisp chug-a-chugs and precise riffage I found them much easier. Thick ones definitely brought teh brutalz.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

For three solid years I used a 50p piece, I found it great as it has so many edges. Gutted when I accidental paid for a drink with it. Still check out my change in case it ever lands in my change.

Now I flit between blue and purple tortex. Might dig out my dava metal tip ones.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i can get away with a blue tortex, but even then i tend to break strings a bit more. i'm strumming daft, me. ultra-thick ones would be no use.
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

I can't play bass with a pick, but when I try I use a purple stubby. Tried it with guitar once, was not a fan. I use 1mm nylons for six stringin'.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
paul_

Post by paul_ »

When I was about 14 I was using a 2mm pick. It was like the thickness of a nickel. I used these Dunlop 500 purple ones. Looking back on it I don't know how I did it... I used 9s as well. Ever since a couple years later I've used .60mm picks and 10-52/11-48 sets, but since I buy picks by the gross I still find purple ones every now and then in a gig bag or one of my parts boxes with a mess of squier wiring harnesses. When I try them again I just think "Paul, you dumb little bastard, these are ridiculous".

I do have fond memories of trying 1mm Pickboys, though the raised logo right near the tip used to catch on my high e.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

don't really like tortex. I use the black dunlop nylon picks. big stubbys are cool though. they're not all really thick, I had some of the red ones. I like their shape quite a lot. they seem to increase your picking accuracy.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
lorez

Post by lorez »

Being more of a chord shambler and not a arpeggiating lead playing wizard i tend to like the more lighter picks (Pink 0.96mm Dunlop 500 currently)
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Ainm

Post by Ainm »

Progrockabuse wrote:For three solid years I used a 50p piece, I found it great as it has so many edges. Gutted when I accidental paid for a drink with it. Still check out my change in case it ever lands in my change.
Nice. I filed down a (euro) 5c piece to use as a plec. It worked pretty well on bass, but was just too thick and heavy for guitar. Another downside I found is that it likes to stick to pickups.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Gotta be Jazz III

Switched to them when I was trying to be shredder (still trying) and can't play with anything else now. Normal plectrums feel like flying saucers (not the sweets)

gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Gotta be Jazz III

Switched to them when I was trying to be shredder (still trying) and can't play with anything else now. Normal plectrums feel like flying saucers (not the sweets)

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I've just ordered some Fender Celluloid Extra-Heavy picks, I'll report back when they arrive.