Jag-Stang 2.0 Build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

Jag-Stang 2.0 Build

Post by Awstin »

Alright.. So I can finally get this build on the road now. Cooterfinger is making me the body and the pickguard. So I am really happy about that. Lol. The design is simple. It's pretty much Kurts original Jag-Stang body design except no top edge of the Jaguar is cut and no extended butt. The color is going to be candy apple red with a White Pearloid pickguard. Here is the photoshop of what I plan it to look like..
Jag-Stang 2.0 Re-edit by punkacc9, on Flickr
I decided to keep it simple and just do a humbucker, a single coil, and a toggle for the pickguard. Easy configuration and no annoying phase switches.. That's what the first Jag-Stang's for haha. As for pickups, a Jb and a texas special. It will just be a standard mustang vibrato and bridge unless I ever feel like installing a les paul bridge. The controls will be standard mustang as well, tone and volume. For the neck I would love to use a Jag-Stang neck but the price of them went way up. It's $350.00 for a neck now on ebay. I was lucky and got one last year for $200.00 but I used that for my red Jag-Stang. And I'm sure as hell not taking the neck off of my all original first generation Sonic Blue Jag-Stang lol. So.. I took apart my 1966 mustang I rebuilt and I am gonna use that neck, a 1995 anniversary Japan mustang neck. (For now at least) I just installed brand new Kluson tuners on it too so that will be nice.. I actually traded my old xbox 360 for it last year.. haha

Here is a Warmoth body I found online. This is what cooterfinger is building for me (:
Warmoth Jag-Stang 2.0 by punkacc9, on Flickr

I found an awesome guy up by me that paints cars for a living that will paint the body. He's only charging me $75.00
Last edited by Awstin on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Instead of the JB I decided on going with this... I own so many JB's and thought it was time for a change. So why not use what Kurt had in his Jag to keep with the Kurdtz. I never used any Dimarzios before so lets hope it wont dissapoint :P
DiMarzio Super Distortion DP100 by hellocrowley, on Flickr
HNB

Post by HNB »

His Jag still had one megs. I have a SD with one megs and LOVE it.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

What will a meg do? I always use just 250ks on single coils and 500ks for humbuckers and never had any problems and was happy. What's a meg gonna offer?
HNB

Post by HNB »

Opens it up and makes it brighter. Kind of sounds like the opening to You Know You're Right. I think I have an audio sample.

Edit: Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJa6-w ... e=youtu.be
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Yeah you can get away with a 1meg for a Super Distortion because they're so chunk-heavy (lo-mid spike). It actually gives them a bit less of a hot lixx sound to use a 1meg.
Nice work getting moving on this, it's gonna be great.

I love that Kurdtzed out Jazzmaster HNB, nice work.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
HNB

Post by HNB »

Thanks! It was a very fun project. :)
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

That is weird to see that Warmoth made one of these. I can't wait to see how it comes out. If you like it, I might have to try my hand at one.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Yeah that's where I originally got the idea when I saw that warmoth body on ebay. I would of bought it but he wanted like $400.00 Too much for me bu they custom make bodies for $550.00.. I tried TK Customs but he just never got back to me really and had personal problems.. But since I talked to Cooterfinger, he is an awesome dude and if it turns out good I am going to keep coming back to him for custom builds and he does everything at a good price. He already made me the template and cut out the rough shape. He's just waiting on the vibrato I sent him to get measurements accurate. That should be there Friday. So, would it be ok to use 500K pots with the SD?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

You can use any pots you want. 500K pots are pretty typical for Humbuckers, but it will sound different than the 250K pots. I had 500K pots on my Jagmaster that I put Jazzmaster pickups in and it sounded fine. If you don't like the sound, you can always swap them out.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Aren't 500K pots more brighter sounding then 250K's are and better for Humbuckers?
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

Punkacc9 wrote:Aren't 500K pots more brighter sounding then 250K's are and better for Humbuckers?
yes, 500k are 'more brighter' than 250k and 1meg (essentially a 1000K) are even more bright than a 500k
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Soooo I got two 250ks right now. Should I buy two 500ks then?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

SKC Willie wrote:
Punkacc9 wrote:Aren't 500K pots more brighter sounding then 250K's are and better for Humbuckers?
yes, 500k are 'more brighter' than 250k and 1meg (essentially a 1000K) are even more bright than a 500k
The man with the Antigua Tele speaks the truth :wink:
HNB

Post by HNB »

I wouldn't go lower than 500k pots for humbuckers, but it is all about personal tastes. The SD and JB are both pretty middy and felt muddy to me with 500k's. 250k would be even more bassy. I like more jangle, so 1megs sounded best to me, but it is all about what sound you are going for. If you like teh kurdz, you would probably like 1meg.
HNB

Post by HNB »

Here is the JB with 1meg pots in my Jag-Stang. (Sounds better in person through a real amp, but it gives a bit of a sound demo.
HNB wrote:Pickup demo as promised. :) Amplitube had trouble recording it well. Probably because the pickup outputs are so high. It sounds much better through my real twin. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-shQ5gW ... e=youtu.be
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Dude the treble volume pot in my Epi LP had been replaced with a 250k before I got it for some reason, so when I put a Super Distortion in there I was like "whoa, these things SUCK." It was WAY too thick and muddy sounding.
With a 500k it was much better. I would definitely not go lower than that for Super Distortion. Would use 500ks to split the difference with neck single coil in this particular guitar.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

paul_ wrote:Dude the treble volume pot in my Epi LP had been replaced with a 250k before I got it for some reason, so when I put a Super Distortion in there I was like "whoa, these things SUCK." It was WAY too thick and muddy sounding.
With a 500k it was much better. I would definitely not go lower than that for Super Distortion. Would use 500ks to split the difference with neck single coil in this particular guitar.
Yeah I'm definitely gonna go with two 500k pots
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

SOME AWESOME PROGRESS. I'm really stoked for this guitar. Cooterfinger is doing an awesome job on the body! Check out the progress!

JagStang 003 by punkacc9, on Flickr
JagStang 004 by punkacc9, on Flickr
JagStang 007 by punkacc9, on Flickr
JagStang 022 by punkacc9, on Flickr
JagStang 017 by punkacc9, on Flickr
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Wow, that looks really sleek at that angle. Beats the pants off a Jag-Stang design-wise.
I love how the bodies next to it sort of demonstrate how the horn was blended with the Jaguar shape. This thing is sexy, I can't wait til it's contoured.