Jag-Stang 2.0 Build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

dren68

Post by dren68 »

Narco Martenot wrote:I'm not crazy about the colour, but this is a cool project. The Jag-Stang neck is the way to go in my opinion. The body shape is much better than the original. For years I would look at my Jag-Stang and wonder why the body looked so off, and I assumed it was because the Mustang control plate and pickguard do not match the lines of the body, and was throwing everything around it off. I was wrong -- it recently hit me:

If you look at any classic guitar design, and you draw a line down the middle of the neck and body, the measurements between widest top and bottom portions of the body (of the horns and butt) will measure the same distance. The Jag-Stang's lower butt portion is way longer than the top portion. I think if the top portion were extended to match the bottom's distance, the body might look decent.

What I would love to know is, how in the hell did this even make it to Kurt with this mess of a body?
I've wondered that very same thing. I've never been crazy about the Jag-stang bodies at all. They just look like a project gone wrong to me.

I'm loving this project, though. To me, that's what Jag-stang should look like. Very cool. Makes me want to do something similar.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Narco Martenot wrote: What I would love to know is, how in the hell did this even make it to Kurt with this mess of a body?
He talked to Kurt Loder's guys about not being happy with it/needing to change some things very shortly before his death. I think Fender's story was that they built a bunch of bodies and take them to him on tour, and he'd go "take some off here" or "make it balance right" etc... so it was a bit of long distance trial-and-error to arrive at the shape.

@ 4:40

[youtube][/youtube]
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
HNB

Post by HNB »

I am one of the crazy people who love the Jag-Stang body. I love it more contoured like my black warmoth body one, but it fits my body well.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Note to people that don't really know about Jag-Stang necks... They are a lot fatter at the heal. I needed to do a lot of sanding to get this neck to fit the body. They extend out more to the bottom like a V.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

This turned out great. This jag-stang in sonic blue would be a dream. What kind of wood did you use for the body?
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

weeping_moon wrote:This turned out great. This jag-stang in sonic blue would be a dream. What kind of wood did you use for the body?
Thanks. And poplar.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

DONE AND WIRED!! Maybe a little of a setup is needed but very playable and sounds incredible. (:

Untitled by punkacc9, on Flickr
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That looks the business!! Great project.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Thanks!
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

Do a Demo!
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

weeping_moon wrote:Do a Demo!
I'll get to it haha!
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

When did this get renamed to "Blaze it" lol?

Wait, this is the two point oh update?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

This gets my personal pick for unexpected wordfilter lolz in recent memory. You should paint "Blaze It!" on there in the honky stang font
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

paul_ wrote:This gets my personal pick for unexpected wordfilter lolz in recent memory. You should paint "Blaze It!" on there in the honky stang font
If I still had it haha. It's long gone. I don't even remember who I sold it to.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

HNB wrote:I am one of the crazy people who love the Jag-Stang body. I love it more contoured like my black warmoth body one, but it fits my body well.
+1