Jag-Stang 2.0 Build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I love it. Came out fantastic. I now want to build one with few mods. I still like the original Jag-stang, but your guitar is better in so many ways.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Thanks! :) hopefully its gonna sound good.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

looks great, much less like a melted mustang than the original.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Yeah. I just seem to hate the Jag-Stang now since I made this. The original just seems so ugly now and I use to love the shape. I think I'm gonna sell my red one or trade it now that I made this.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Another mockup picture.

Untitled by punkacc9, on Flickr

When I got the body

othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Looks like the same mockup from days ago. When are you gonna get some screws & strings and play the thing ? I wouldn't be able to contain myself getting it finished off.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Yeah I can't wait but I've been busy and the Gf's been pissed with all the time in it lol.. Plus I have 3 other builds going on.. Hopefully I'll start piecing it together this week and have it all done by next week. Then all adjusted the next week.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The body shape is just perfect.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Mike wrote:The body shape is just perfect.
stewart wrote:looks great, much less like a melted mustang than the original.
This looks really good. I HAET the original one. This makes up for the years of eye-rape the Fender inflicted.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Hahahaha. Love the orig JS shape.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I've heard more than a few girls who don't play guitar/can't tell a Strat from a Tele take one look at a Jag-Stang and go "dude, that's fucking tacky," which always spoke volumes to me.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

So there's a new problem that arose... The Mustang neck mounting screw holes are stripped a bit. I was told by a local guitar tech to fit as many toothpicks in the holes as I can and then put a dab of wood glue in each hole. Then screw the screws back in. Is this a good way? Is there any other ways that are better?

Shielding, vibrato, and strap buttons done.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

With holes that big I'd dowel and redrill. I'd use toothpicks for strap buttons and some other holes like that, but the neck screws take a lot of tension. You want that join to be as secure as possible.
Shabba.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Are the neck screws the one that came with the neck? They're not all the same size. Vintage ones are thinner than modern ones. If you have a modern set give them a try. Especially before you start doweling and re-drilling.

I found this out when doing an experimental neck swap a while ago and found that my '64 Jaguar neck holes and accompanying screws were significantly smaller that the other later jaguar.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I use solvent-based wood putty/Plastic Wood etc... on stripped neck holes, which I pack in real tight and allow to dry overnight before redrilling. I only do the toothpick thing for pickguard screws.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Thanks about that screw statement. It turns out I had another set of screws that were stubbier and fit it but the others where stripped in it. So i will use the mustang neck for my mustang offset build with the slimmer body and I can't believe I did it but I used the Jag-Stang neck. But it will make the 2.0 soo much nicer.

HNB

Post by HNB »

Looks good. I love Jag-Stang necks. :D
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

HNB wrote:Looks good. I love Jag-Stang necks. :D
Thanks! :)
George

Post by George »

I think you made the right decision. A JS neck will do the build justice.
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

I'm not crazy about the colour, but this is a cool project. The Jag-Stang neck is the way to go in my opinion. The body shape is much better than the original. For years I would look at my Jag-Stang and wonder why the body looked so off, and I assumed it was because the Mustang control plate and pickguard do not match the lines of the body, and was throwing everything around it off. I was wrong -- it recently hit me:

If you look at any classic guitar design, and you draw a line down the middle of the neck and body, the measurements between widest top and bottom portions of the body (of the horns and butt) will measure the same distance. The Jag-Stang's lower butt portion is way longer than the top portion. I think if the top portion were extended to match the bottom's distance, the body might look decent.

What I would love to know is, how in the hell did this even make it to Kurt with this mess of a body?